Oil light issue

7 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

Oil light came on again this chilly morning on the commute to work.  Again, just after an oil and filter change yesterday evening. This time I just ignored it and it went away within a few miles. . 

If it's filled to the top line on the sightglass when checked (as directed in the manual), and you oil light comes on intermittently still just while the bike is running, I would not ignore it.  

But as noted above, the oil needs to almost completely fill the sight glass.  

Source: Lost a beloved truck because I did that, when what was happening was the oil pump was failing and non consistently supplying oil. 

Oil level at the top of the sight glass, only a little bubble showing. Cold mornings and just after an oil and filter change is when it happens.

Edited by CJ3cyl

5 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

Oil level at the top of the sight glass, only a little bubble showing. Cold mornings and just after an oil and filter change is when it happens.

Right. My 2015 will do the same, I’m not disagreeing with you.

out of curiosity have you checked the level by holding the bike upright (or have someone sit in the bike keeping it level)  as opposed to using the center stand? There IS a slight difference. 

Anyway, typically this happens when the oil is cold and a lot of it gets pushed into the top end. Takes a hot second for the oil level sensor to register that it has dribbled back into the oil pan and turn off the light. 
there’s really nothing wrong here, it’s just a characteristic of this bike… annoying more than anything else.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...