Buying a new 2015??

Looking at a new 2015 FJ-09 at a dealer.  OTD price around $7900...  Does that seem like a decent price.  I think I could get a 2017 (with it's upgrades) for about $1200 more but honestly I am not a huge fan of the color options and that would be stretching the budget!  On the 2015 would I need to be worried about the tires (4 years old) or could I still get a couple years out of them?  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I paid a little less than that for my 15 when I bought it a couple years ago. Doesn't seen like a spectacular deal to me. But I will say I think the bike is worth the money. 

I'd also be concerned with the brake fluid. It should be on it's second flush by now. But it's probably 4 years old and full of water.

A bike that's been sitting for 4 years would give me pause.  I'd be leery of the seals starting to deteriorate due to inactivity, the hoses as well. And like Nick said, the fluids are probably bad and possibly causing damage.

Compare a new '15 with a farkled '15 with a few miles on the odo, and I'd take the latter. In fact I did. My '15 came with cruise control, panniers, 3 windshields, rear rack, weighted bars, various mounts and doo dahs. That it had 9k miles is of no consequence, as it was properly maintained. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

7 hours ago, andreej said:

Looking at a new 2015 FJ-09 at a dealer.  OTD price around $7900...  Does that seem like a decent price.  I think I could get a 2017 (with it's upgrades) for about $1200 more but honestly I am not a huge fan of the color options and that would be stretching the budget!  On the 2015 would I need to be worried about the tires (4 years old) or could I still get a couple years out of them?  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

My June 2015 build/ purchased new Dec 2018 had the fluids changed by the dealer before I got it, and a new battery fitted.   I fitted new Michelin PR4s to my last Tracer after a puncture - they made an appreciable difference to the comfort of the bike, feeling so much smoother, so I'm considering fitting the same to the current bike, even though at 1965km the OE tyres seem OK.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I fitted new Michelin PR4s to my last Tracer after a puncture - they made an appreciable difference to the comfort of the bike, feeling so much smoother, so I'm considering fitting the same to the current bike, even though at 1965km the OE tyres seem OK.

Yes, it is amazing how much of a difference premium tires make to the feel of the bike.  The stock Dunlops aren't necessarily bad but aren't noteworthy in any way to ever justify buying another set.

I got a large nail in my stock rear tire at 4k, still plenty of tread life left on the tire but I wasn't disappointed at all to change them for something better.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived