BMW Plug

Coop

Has anyone put a BMW plug into the plastic in front of the tank.  Will the plastic hold up to the stress?  It looks like a good place for a plug to run heated gear.  Thinking about winter time already.

What is a BMW plug? Powerlet sockets can be added where ever you desire. Yes, it will hold up to the stress if properly installed. Be advised heated gear may draw too much current to use the Yamaha provided accessory wiring at the front of the bike. My GPS uses Powerlet so one of the first things I did on my FJ-09 was replace the lh side cig adapter with Powerlet for that. Tiny draw so used one of the available accessory leads. For heated gear would probably mount an additional socket near seat/tank and do my own wiring. 

• Premium Member

BMW plug = Powerlet

I agree with chitown, I have used powerlet many times in the past but currently I prefer a coaxial pigtail, with a 15 amp fuse.  The location of the pigtail here is perfect for heated liners, as well as the battery tender.

Coaxial connection.jpg

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

3 hours ago, chitown said:

What is a BMW plug? Powerlet sockets can be added where ever you desire. Yes, it will hold up to the stress if properly installed. Be advised heated gear may draw too much current to use the Yamaha provided accessory wiring at the front of the bike. My GPS uses Powerlet so one of the first things I did on my FJ-09 was replace the lh side cig adapter with Powerlet for that. Tiny draw so used one of the available accessory leads. For heated gear would probably mount an additional socket near seat/tank and do my own wiring. 

The reason I think a powerlet in the forward plastic would be nice is that the connector would be right in front of you and easily plugged in and out.  Connecting a SAE plug left handed isn't my idea of fun.  Yes, I know it comes out on either side and doing it with one hand every time I get off would not be fun. 

iuSNGI7D5B.jpg

Edited by Coop

I think I've seen that before, but couldn't figure out the mount.   I had one about there on my ST, actually two.  I think I'd like to use that big piece of plastic and keep it right in front of me.  Did I mention that I'm an old goober?  You know how we are.   Old men will try anything if the bleeding isn't too much and we always carry band aids.  LOL!

I had trouble holding the cover up and putting the plug in with one hand.  This is my last bike and am going to enjoy it while I can.  Damn it's fun.  Thanks for all the replies.

How did you mount it?

Edited by Coop

2 hours ago, Coop said:

The reason I think a powerlet in the forward plastic would be nice is that the connector would be right in front of you and easily plugged in and out.  Connecting a SAE plug left handed isn't my idea of fun.  Yes, I know it comes out on either side and doing it with one hand every time I get off would not be fun. 

Everybody gets a preference. Prefer my heated gear attachment coming out from underneath the front of the seat so that I can attach/remove while astride the bike. 

Only issue I had installing a Powerlet in the panel space for the cig adapter is that the Powerlet was smaller than the provided hole so there was no purchase to tighten it in place. Made some collars from a couple pieces of black abs laying around the garage.  

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I think I've seen that before, but couldn't figure out the mount.   I had one about there on my ST, actually two.  I think I'd like to use that big piece of plastic and keep it right in front of me.  Did I mention that I'm an old goober?  You know how we are.   Old men will try anything if the bleeding isn't too much and we always carry band aids.  LOL!

I had trouble holding the cover up and putting the plug in with one hand.  This is my last bike and am going to enjoy it while I can.  Damn it's fun.  Thanks for all the replies.

I see what you mean about inserting the plug while opening the spring loaded cover on the Powerlet.  In my case that isn't an issue.  I have Gerbings heated gear which has a round connection plug.  I have a 12 inch adapter cord from the Powerlet to the heated jacket liner cord.  I plug in the adapter for the heated gear into the Powerlet.

All I have to do from there is to plug in the heated liner cord into the end of the 12 inch adapter cord.  I can leave the adapter in the Powerlet until the end of the ride.  It's easy to disconnect the heated liner cord from the adapter to take a break or get fuel, etc,  Reconnecting is a piece of cake also.

Having the 12 inch adapter hanging on the side of the bike doesn't touch any hot areas that could melt the cord insulation.  Good to go!

1 hour ago, chitown said:

Everybody gets a preference. Prefer my heated gear attachment coming out from underneath the front of the seat so that I can attach/remove while astride the bike. 

Only issue I had installing a Powerlet in the panel space for the cig adapter is that the Powerlet was smaller than the provided hole so there was no purchase to tighten it in place. Made some collars from a couple pieces of black abs laying around the garage.  

Good idea.

Edited by Coop

1 hour ago, chitown said:

gotta get new stuff,  gave the old stuff away.  I'll be starting a new thread soon.  Unless they boot me for excessive questions.

@coop, I went the same path as @fjrpittsburgh and use the 12" Powerlet/BMW to heating clothing cord and just leave that plugged into the socket when using heated gear.

Like you I wanted to mount in the plastic trim around the tank, but decided not to as I did not think it would support the outlet and me plugging stuff into it all the time - possibility of it breaking.

Vince 

20190523_Tracer GT Powerlet.jpg

I see how it's mounted, but $80 bucks is pretty rich especially since I have everything but the plate.  Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to the shop we go.  What you guys did was the same as I did with the ST.  You are right, that is the best idea.  I like your plate. No spacer needed. 

Edited by Coop

16 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

@Coop I installed a rearset Powerlet outlet with the included bracket in front of the left passenger footpeg.  My heated gear power cord is on the bottom left of my heated jacket liner.  That location works perfectly for me.

20190421_114809.jpg

That is a nice , clean application.  Was there an easy path for routing wires without cutting anything?  Looks like it would come out through the small gap at the bottom of the silver trim piece above.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

For mine, I just used a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum plate (actually angle that I cut the angle off where it is behind the peg hanger mount).  It was very light, just a couple of mm thick.

Picked up a 3' length for $7 from the depot.

Vince