Looking at buying a FJ09 today......

Greetings. I am looking at purchasing a 2015 FJ09 today. It has 2500ish miles on it and is described as "like new". I've done some reading on the potential issues and I haven't seen anything steering me away from the bike. I have owned a lot of motorcycles, so I have experience. Just not with this particular bike. I'll check the usual stuff, chain, sprockets, fluids, etc, but is there anything you experienced owners can point out that I should look for?

Regardless, wish me luck. I hope to be an owner soon, and a participant on this forum. Once I gave the bike, ill check in at "new members". But for now, all help is appreciated. 

• Premium Member

How much  $$ if you don’t mind me asking. I have a friend who has owned over 32 bikes in his lifetime. Hs said this bike is the best kept secrete out there. You won’t be disappointed. 

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

I'm superstitious about telling price before the deal. :D But once the day is over I'll provide numbers. That said, I agree that it's the best kept secret on two wheels from what I can see. I'm sure the Yamaha dealers would agree based on all the left over 2016 bikes I've seen for sale as new.  A pity really, but good for cheapskates like me! :D

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, nevada72 said:

Greetings. I am looking at purchasing a 2015 FJ09 today. It has 2500ish miles on it and is described as "like new".  I'll check the usual stuff, chain, sprockets, fluids, etc, but is there anything you experienced owners can point out that I should look for?

With only 2500 miles, it shouldn't have very much wear and tear but its technically 5 years old now, look at the tire side walls for cracks.  After purchase - check the clutch cable, a revised cable was released with a smooth curve coming out of the perch, the original cable is prone to breaking.  You could also go to a dealer and have them check the VIN for recalls.  The chain needs to be set for 25-35mm slack.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

At that mileage, pretty much nothing. I’d like to see at least 2 oil changes based on time elapsed and preferably yearly  (not a deal breaker).

Any clatter at startup that doesn’t resolve quickly. Check for a dot on the end indicating the shift shaft has been replaced. Enquire about handlebar mount recall. Tires may be cupped due to age and sitting. Check for clutch cable fraying at the lever side and if the chain is crusty.

All I can thing off. These bikes are pretty bulletproof. Plan on coolant, brake fluid, and oil change due to age, and possibly tires.

HTH,

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

Nothing really to look for. Just a couple things that may need to be addressed once you're the owner. Namely the clutch cable. With the 2015, you'll want to double check the CCT and handlebar recall has been performed. Otherwise, enjoy!!

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Thanks all for the help! I'll definitely take a look at that VIN and build date for the shift shaft. Likewise the clutch cable. Other than that I know it needs an oil change because the last one was late last summer. I also need to run out the old gas from last fall. 

On the price, what I can say at this point is it's listed for mid-5s. I hope to do better. The prices are all over the board on these. That said I'm kicking myself that I dragged my feet on a left over 2016 at a local dealer for under $6500. I shoulda, woulda, coulda....but here I am. That said, this is a really nice bike, by pics and the conversation with what seemed to be a sincere owner, for significantly less than the 2016. I head out in an hour. Thanks again!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@nevada72 - Good luck with the search and potential purchase.   The feedback & suggestions you’ve already received pretty much cover the topics to look for...  truthfully, they’re all minor potential issues, and the FJ is generally very reliable (and an absolute blast to ride!).  

If you’re not familiar with the Yamaha CP3 triples, be aware that they’re a mechanically ‘busy’ device, with a bit more whining & ticking & assorted noises than you may hear on other motorcycles.   It’s normal on these bikes, and just part of the character.   I always ride with earplugs, so it’s been a non-issue for me.  

Enjoy!  They are hugely entertaining motorcycles, and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.  

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 2

5 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@nevada72 - Good luck with the search and potential purchase.   The feedback & suggestions you’ve already received pretty much cover the topics to look for...  truthfully, they’re all minor potential issues, and the FJ is generally very reliable (and an absolute blast to ride!).  

If you’re not familiar with the Yamaha CP3 triples, be aware that they’re a mechanically ‘busy’ device, with a bit more whining & ticking & assorted noises than you may hear on other motorcycles.   It’s normal on these bikes, and just part of the character.   I always ride with earplugs, so it’s been a non-issue for me.  

Enjoy!  They are hugely entertaining motorcycles, and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.  

-Scott 

Thanks!

I have a Harley as well as two vintage Hondas and one vintage BMW. I suspect the Yamaha will sound like a sewing machine by comparison. But thanks for the heads up - I appreciate it! 

I just bought a 2015 in Sarasota, FL last week and rode it home this week (after several days on a beach vacation).

One of the most fun bikes I've owned.  I rode the piss out of it yesterday and the clutch was slipping a bit so I'll get into that soon.

Good luck on the deal.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, nevada72 said:

Thanks!

I have a Harley as well as two vintage Hondas and one vintage BMW. I suspect the Yamaha will sound like a sewing machine by comparison. But thanks for the heads up - I appreciate it! 

Ah yes... where you’re coming from definitely changes the perspective!  I have a thing for big four-stroke singles, so I get all warm & tingly when I see the paint shaker in action at Home Depot.   

Good luck today.  And welcome to the forum...  we hope you stick around and contribute.   Lots of collective knowledge here, with pretty much zero drama.   

• Thumbsup 1

In December last year (2018) I bought a left-over - VERY left-over! - June 2015 build-date Tracer, brand new, and red in colour.

Had it shipped 1800km to me.   Did all the things suggested here (except change the tyres), found it 100% problem-free for 5000km+, then swapped it a few days ago for a new GT.   These are great little bikes, with the gem in the crown being that superb CP3 motor.   Enjoy it!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

38 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Ah yes... where you’re coming from definitely changes the perspective!  I have a thing for big four-stroke singles, so I get all warm & tingly when I see the paint shaker in action at Home Depot.   

Love those few words, tex!   Next time in our version of Home Depot I must hang around the paint counter for a bit!

• Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I’m going to be the lone voice of meh. I bought a ’15 model a couple of years ago, and while I like it, I don’t yet love it. It’s strange, because on paper it’s everything I wanted, farkled as I like. I rode it exclusively for about 6 months after getting it, and slowly little things started to bug me. Pretty soon I went back to commuting on my SV650, and for multi day rides I went back to my K1200GT. So my FJ has been relegated to day rides of 200+ miles. Shorter trips my SV makes me happier, and anything longer my K bike lets me relax into the ride.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine machine, and does everything that people says it does, and then some. But for me, for my own personal preferences, it turns out that I get more joy from riding a slow bike fast, commuting/lane splitting is way easier on the SV, and I value comfort for multi day rides more than I value performance.

Part of me would swap it instantly for a well farkled Wee Strom, but a bigger part of me still hopes that I’ll fall in love with it some day. 

Interestingly, back in the 80's I sold my daily driver, an XS 650 to buy the shiny new FJ 1200, and after a couple of years I sold it because I didn’t fall in love with it.  Maybe the moral of the story is that I don’t get along with the FJ designation! 

Personal tastes are weird.

Edited by maximo
  • Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Well the deal is done! I'm very excited about the new addition to the garage. Thanks to everyone who helped with great information!

I put 70 miles on riding it home. It was a mix of city traffic, interstate, and country road. Despite the rather hot day (90f) the bike was an absolute pleasure. It's funny going from the massive Harley Davidson to this bike. It feels like being on a dirt bike. :D The bike looks like brand new, as it should with only 2700 miles on it. I feel like I got one helluva bike for $4800.

For now I don't really have any critiques as I'm still in the "afterglow" stage of ownership. Which is certainly better than buyers remorse. It just seems like a nicely balanced bike that will do a lot of different things. As far as the issues mentioned, as well as others I've read about on this forum -

- No discernible handlebar vibration. I've experienced far worse. 

- Clutch cable appears to be good - no sharp angles.

- VIN ends in 2300, so based on what I've read, the shift shaft isn't an issue. 

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum. I greatly appreciate the help and information. I look forward to participating in the future. 👍

IMG_4477 (2).JPG

Edited by nevada72
  • Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1