Killed my battery... Should I buy a charger or get a new battery

lance

I left my ignition on for a day and a half. I jump started it once and rode for 10 minutes but it wouldn't start the next morning. So I jump started it again and rode for two hours but still the next morning it would not even crank the starter. Thye check engine light is on so maybe I burnt a fuse jumping it. I read that you can't you can't recharge you battery by driving it because there is no altenator. So should I buy a charger to re charge it or just get a new battery. It is a 2017 with 8500 miles I ride it every day. I can't believe I left the key in it and on at that. Must be getting old.

4 hours ago, lance said:

I left my ignition on for a day and a half. I jump started it once and rode for 10 minutes but it wouldn't start the next morning. So I jump started it again and rode for two hours but still the next morning it would not even crank the starter. Thye check engine light is on so maybe I burnt a fuse jumping it. I read that you can't you can't recharge you battery by driving it because there is no altenator. So should I buy a charger to re charge it or just get a new battery. It is a 2017 with 8500 miles I ride it every day. I can't believe I left the key in it and on at that. Must be getting old.

The check engine light is probably on b/c of a low/high voltage condition, not because you burnt a fuse. These models have a trouble code for that...

i hope you didn’t jump it from a RUNNING vehicle? That can create all kinds of problems. Get yourself some kind of battery tender/optimate charger with a pig tail and attempt to charge it overnight.  Don’t use a fast charge/high amp auto device. If it doesn’t take , yeah you’ll need a new battery. And as you’ve discovered, bikes won’t recharge a heavily discharged battery - the stator can’t produce that kind of power like an automobile can.... they will only MAINTAIN a battery that’s 85-100% charged.  Btw expect to pay over $100 US for a good new battery. 

Your friendly bike dealer also has the ability to test and charge your battery, but plan on leaving it there overnight  

HTH, 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

Thank you for the help. I will try to charge it overnight with a motorcycle charger. Unfortunately I did jump it from a runnung vehicle; hope I didn't create mote problems than a dead battery. thanks again for the advice

lance

These guys have good deals on batteries. Been buying from them for over a decade. Scooters, ZX11 Ninja, ZRX1100, VMax, Jet ski. Keep them on a battery tender when not riding them. They are on eBay;

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

No I have no interest in this business. I've just used them for more than a decade. Quality product at a good price and free ship. At 38.00 for a new battery and be at your house in 2 - 3 days. Remember, lay it on it's side when putting it in the bike. I thought it went in standing up. + and - were backwards. I thought they sent me the wrong battery. Wrote about it on here and a member set me straight. Just didn't seem right for it to be laying on it's side but it's the way it's made. It's a sealed battery so no spills. Just remember that when changing them out. Like I said, 38 bucks and no worries mate! Also get a battery tender. 

Almost forgot. I get 5 years out  of their batteries. Don't know if they last longer, I just put a date on them with a sharpy when I get them and change them every 5 years whether they need it or not. For the price, who cares?

Edited by tktplz
time they last.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Thanks tktplz. Yes I read your dilemma on here. I am charging by battery now. If it doesn't take a charge I will get a new one tomorrow; because I need to be able to get to work without hassles on sunday. Thanks again for your help

lance

8 hours ago, lance said:

Thanks tktplz. Yes I read your dilemma on here. I am charging by battery now. If it doesn't take a charge I will get a new one tomorrow; because I need to be able to get to work without hassles on sunday. Thanks again for your help

lance

Lance, I've found when you kill a battery the way you did, ie. leaving the key on, it kills the battery......DEAD. If you did it cranking till the click click click I'd say it might charge back up. Leaving the key on kills it and then keeps draining it because the key is still on. Usually doesn't come back or not to full strength. And yes I found out you can't push start a fuel injected bike with a low battery. Don't ask how. Good luck and a fresh battery isn't much and cheap peace of mind is nice.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, tktplz said:

And yes I found out you can't push start a fuel injected bike with a low battery. Don't ask how.

I wonder how many have tried that very same thing - myself included.  ☹️

I come from a dirt bike background (carbureted) and have been doing that all of my life.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thank you everyone for the help. I bought a charger and charged it overnight. It took a full charge and seems to be fine after almost a week of riding. I just need to get rid of the permanent check engine light now.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 7:56 AM, betoney said:

I wonder how many have tried that very same thing - myself included.  ☹️

I come from a dirt bike background (carbureted) and have been doing that all of my life.

I actually had to push-start mine a few weeks ago (don’t ask) right after I stopped for gas. Battery was too weak to get it fired back up again, so I rolled it along for a bit and popped it in 2nd gear and it fired right up.

The battery wasn’t totally dead though, just weak enough to buzz the start solenoid when attempting to crank the engine. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

You got lucky Skip. I've tried a couple of times. Once with mine and once with a friends BMW. Neither time did it work. The BMW was going down a hill. Both with 2 people pushing. 

So what happened Lance? Did battery hold a charge?

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1