Tire change issues

I've seen this problem on one of the Yamaha forums but can't remember which one.. I put Michelin's on my bike today and afterwards, check engine, ABS and traction control are all lit up. The brakes are working correctly but no ABS. What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

I put Michelin's on my bike today and afterwards, check engine, ABS and traction control are all lit up.

Maybe she likes Pirelli's instead??   😎

I would check both ABS sensors,  - remove them, make sure they are clean and grease free and then reinserted 100%.  Have a look at the speed ring on each wheel as well.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@chesterburnet 99% sure the ABS/TCS sensor is not seated fully/correctly in the front wheel.  This has been reported many times on the forum and I have done this myself.  Pull the front ABS sensor out re-insert it making sure it is flush and tighten everything back up.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

It's because you went to California and your a Patriots Fan.........Written by a Raiders Fan......Da' Raiders!!!!!     🤣   Sorry I couldn't help myself. 

• Haha 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

14 hours ago, tktplz said:

It's because you went to California and your a Patriots Fan.........Written by a Raiders Fan......Da' Raiders!!!!!     🤣   Sorry I couldn't help myself. 

Written by a Patriots fan...........We destroyed the Raiders franchise in 2001 and they are doomed for all eternity. Last year we destroyed 2 California teams, the Chargers and the Rams. Hopefully this year we'll ruin the 49er's and that'll be the end of football as we know it in California.

PS: the only football shirts I saw when I was in California were 2 people wearing Patriots t-shirts.

bb04.jpg

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Or the front wheel is installed backwards and the abs ring is on the wrong side. Or the abs sensors have been damaged on install/removal.

You are correct. I put the front wheel on and spun it and it hit an obstruction. I realized I had the wheel on backwards and turned it around. Unfortunately the sensor is now plastic and I crunched a small section of it. So I just had to spend $75 on a new one.  Live and learn. I hate when I do stupid shit.

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

You are correct. I put the front wheel on and spun it and it hit an obstruction. I realized I had the wheel on backwards and turned it around.

Lesson learned, glad you got it figured out.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

FYI for next time...

The tires have an arrow indicating direction of rotation on the sidewall.  I referred to it A LOT when remounting my Road 5s.  :)

And I still held my breath until the ABS light went off.

PS: There are some very good YouTube vids on removing and installing FJ wheels.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

4 minutes ago, nhchris said:

FYI for next time...

The tires have an arrow indicating direction of rotation on the sidewall.  I referred to it A LOT when remounting my Road 5s.  :)

Yep, it helps to know there are directional indicators on the tires and on the rims.

IMO easiest way to keep track of front rim orientation is that the slotted wheel sensor rotor must be on the side where the sensor lives.