Tracer 900 GT Mirrors

SC3896

Can anyone tell me how to remove the mirror mounting bolts so that I can add mirror extensions to give greater rear view.  

I've got multiple sockets etc but nothing fits in the tight circular space to let me loosen the bolt. 

20190816_233612.jpg

20190817_023443.jpg

Edited by SC3896

Unless things have changed with the GT mirrors as opposed to the Gen1 Tracer mirrors - which seems highly unlikely - you leave the inset nut alone, and unscrew the stems from the black nut below, as highlighted in the first pic below.   That's what I'll be doing (based on identical previous installs) when my own mirror risers/ extenders arrive.   Loosen that nut and un-thread the stem vertically.

But be careful - one side mirror stem has reverse thread, but I cannot recall which one it is!   When you suss that out yourself, please post here...  LATER EDIT - many here including myself have also added small 2" diameter 'blind-spot' mirrors to further enhance rear visibility... second pic below.

P1050726.JPG

P1050506.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

10 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

Right is reverse. 

Thank you!   An easy mnemonic - R(ight) = R(everse)...  Much obliged - will save much swearing!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

Easy way to remember, push the mirrors back and they loosen. 

Some manufactures do this so that if you clip a mirror in traffic, stuff is less likely to break. 

Is this why there's reverse thread on the rhs?   I've often wondered at the reasoning - makes lot of sense!

4 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

That seems to be the reason behind it.

Unless manufacturers just like messing with their customers, as both mirrors are more prone to coming loose at speed with this design. 

More than once I've had a mirror fold back on me at (modest and entirely legal) speed - what an annoying and potentially dangerous thing it is!   Thanks...

3 hours ago, SC3896 said:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the mirror mounting bolts so that I can add mirror extensions to give greater rear view.  

I've got multiple sockets etc but nothing fits in the tight circular space to let me loosen the bolt. 

20190816_233612.jpg

20190817_023443.jpg

There seems to be some confusion about what I am asking.  I wish to be pointed in the right direction as to where I can get a socket that will fit in to the circular gap and loosen the mounting bolt head.  

That isn't the nut you mess with to add an extension.  That nut on both mirrors is righty tighty.  Clockwise tightens it.  You remove the mirrors at the base to add a mirror extender.  Hope this helps.

Edited by fjrpittsburgh

49 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

That isn't the nut you mess with to add an extension.  That nut on both mirrors is righty tighty.  Clockwise tightens it.  You remove the mirrors at the base to add a mirror extender.  Hope this helps.

Righty tighty it certainly is!   By a happy (or so I wrongly thought) coincidence my mirror extenders arrived today, and I set to to fit them.   But the biggest wrench with decent width jaws simply won't shift the rhs (throttle) side nut - I left the other - and as we all know these nuts are made of soft cheese and are too easily rounded-out!   Are they Locktited in at the factory?   And is it definite that the rhs nut is turned counter-clockwise to loosen - I nearly wrenched the 'bars off trying to get some - any - movement of the nut!   Aaarrrggghhhhh!

P1050727.JPG

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Righty tighty it certainly is!   By a happy (or so I wrongly thought) coincidence my mirror extenders arrived today, and I set to to fit them.   But the biggest wrench with decent width jaws simply won't shift the rhs (throttle) side nut - I left the other - and as we all know these nuts are made of soft cheese and are too easily rounded-out!   Are they Locktited in at the factory?   And is it definite that the rhs nut is turned counter-clockwise to loosen - I nearly wrenched the 'bars off trying to get some - any - movement of the nut!   Aaarrrggghhhhh!

I have removed my mirrors a few times and the nut wasn't difficult to turn by any means.   I used a standard 8" Crescent wrench.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I have removed my mirrors a few times and the nut wasn't difficult to turn by any means.   I used a standard 8" Crescent wrench.

I too had no trouble with earlier Gen1 mirrors, but I'm of the view that the GT ones are Loctited-in with a dose of double-distilled triple-filtered industrial-grade military-spec Kryptonium - maybe as a response to reports of them shifting while on the road.   I'm not game to try any more, so that's $13 or so wasted.   Fortunately the GT mirrors are on longer OE stems so are not quite as poor as earlier ones, plus the 2" blind-spot aux mirrors help..

• Haha 1