FJR-09

keithu

• Premium Member

Oh, and I also installed a cheapo volt meter from Amazon. It fits perfectly in the empty aux port slot on the right side. Even with the GPS, aux lights and high beams on, heated jacket on full blast, and heated grips on max I had 13.8 volts at highway speed. It's a little hard to read in sunlight, but I'm more likely to tax the charging system at night.

2020_0321_12385600.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, keithu said:

I went on a 263 test ride today, a simple loop out to the Oregon coast via OR-34 to Waldport, down US-101 to Reedsport, OR-38 back inland, then up I-5 to home.

* After 263.7 miles at 46mpg, I have three bars on the fuel gauge. My hope of having a 350+ mile range is questionable.

OR-34 to Waldport on a sunny day is very hard to beat, one of my favorite coastal routes. 

I'll spare you my math guesstimations but looking at your fuel gauge I would expect you could safely get around 325 miles. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, betoney said:

OR-34 to Waldport on a sunny day is very hard to beat, one of my favorite coastal routes. 

I'll spare you my math guesstimations but looking at your fuel gauge I would expect you could safely get around 325 miles. 

That's probably about right. It's not quite as much as I was hoping for though. I may try removing the foam to see if the slosh is noticable.

In the twisties of OR-34 I could tell I had a little extra weight back there, but just barely. It is not a serious detriment to handling, it just feels like I have some camping gear bungied on the back.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I think I found the feed problem: When both wheels are on the ground, the fuel cell slopes rearward slightly. The back corner is about 3/8" (1 cm) low at the rear. Of course it was fine when the bike was on the centerstand during design, but under real conditions it traps some fuel in the bottom of the tank. 🤪

This should be easy to fix. I can either shim the rear mount up about 1/4", or remove some material from the front supports.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I think I found the feed problem: When both wheels are on the ground, the fuel cell slopes rearward slightly. The back corner is about 3/8" (1 cm) low at the rear. Of course it was fine when the bike was on the centerstand during design, but under real conditions it traps some fuel in the bottom of the tank. 🤪

This should be easy to fix. I can either shim the rear mount up about 1/4", or remove some material from the front supports.

Also factor in the rear end drop with rider weight.  Is there a way to measure for level with you sitting on the bike?

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, betoney said:

Also factor in the rear end drop with rider weight.  Is there a way to measure for level with you sitting on the bike?

Did you just call me fat?

Good point though. I'll enlist my lovely assistant to help with this.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, keithu said:

Did you just call me fat?

Nothing that cant be remedied with a few extra turns of shock spring preload.  😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I added 1/2" of aluminum barstock under the rear fuel cell mount to tip it forward a bit. I also finished the straps and brackets securing the fuel cell to the rack. Let's call this project complete.

2020_0328_11382800.jpg

2020_0328_11375900.jpg

2020_0328_11371300.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, keithu said:

I added 1/2" of aluminum barstock under the rear fuel cell mount to tip it forward a bit. I also finished the straps and brackets securing the fuel cell to the rack. Let's call this project complete.

Only one thing left to do now, plan a 350 mile route that ends very close to a gas station. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I also added a couple other miscellaneous farkles:

* Cup holder for coffee. I used to have this cup holder mounted directly to the handlebar, but the cup blocked my view of the speedometer. I used an old bicycle accessory mount to move the cup holder up and out of the way. It holds a pint glass quite nicely, but I'll probably stick to coffee during rides.

* USB charging ports. I got this dual-USB dongle with weather cap from "Motopower" on Amazon. This went in the last open port on my Fuzeblock. I'm not sure what I'll do if I need any more electrical farkles.

* Reinforcing bracket between the upper and lower headlight stays.

IMG_20200329_140334_9.jpg

IMG_20200329_140517_6.jpg

IMG_20200329_140406_6.jpg

IMG_20200329_140604_9.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, keithu said:

I also added a couple other miscellaneous farkles:

* Cup holder for coffee. It holds a pint glass quite nicely, but I'll probably stick to coffee during rides.

IMG_20200329_140334_9.jpg

Love it!  😎

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Updates: the cupholder doesn't work well at all, the bicycle thing wiggles way too much.

Also, I replaced the V-Stream Touring screen with a Madstad 26" screen. It seems to be quieter and calmer to sit behind, which should improve comfort.

2020_0428_15313800.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, keithu said:

Updates: the cupholder doesn't work well at all, the bicycle thing wiggles way too much.

It would be a shame to spill your IPA.😎

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I installed a Scott Oiler V-system today. Kind of a pain.

I also installed a couple of Z brackets as suggested by @2and3cylinders to further reinforce the windshield support. I didn't really understand the concept at first, but the more I looked at the support assembly the more it made sense to me. After bolting everything together it is obvious from pushing on the windshield that the whole front end is a lot more stout.

IMG_20200531_132801_8.jpg

IMG_20200531_115830_3.jpg

IMG_20200531_130714_0.jpg

• Thumbsup 1