Yamaha running in...

The T9 is my first Yamaha for many years and I'm liking it. Had first service yesterday, so looking forward to taking the engine to the next level. Never heard before but book says there's a second break-in period up to 1000 miles. 7k rpm ish.

Speaking to a friend of mine on Friday, ex racer, he says just ride it normally. All engines are power tested at max revs in factory. To check all is good I suppose. Avoid long full throttle and just ride normal, varied revs.

Probably wouldn't mention it to dealer in a warranty claim though.

• Supporting Member

Lots of varied opinions here, but I’ve subscribed to the opinion that you should just ride it like you normally would.   I took it a little easy until the 600 mile service (only a few trips up near redline), but certainly didn’t baby it...

I only have about 15k miles on my FJ, but it runs strong and doesn’t burn a drop of oil.   

• Premium Member

Honestly, common sense would tell you not to ride a new bike too aggressively until you are more familiar with it.  After 500-600 miles, you are probably past the break in period anyway. I also agree that staying away from redline early in your new bike's life is a good safety precaution, but unlikely to harm the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Lots of varied opinions here, but I’ve subscribed to the opinion that you should just ride it like you normally would.   I took it a little easy until the 600 mile service (only a few trips up near redline), but certainly didn’t baby it...

I completely agree with this, when I did my break in I rode it like I normally would for the most part, no runs up to redline but definitely didn’t baby it at all or keep it under 6k rpm.

TI changed my oil at 100 miles and then 600 miles and then again at 1000 miles just to flush the particles. 

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Just remember one of the worst things you can do to a new engine is lugging it during break- in.

One of the worst things you can EVER do to a CP3 motor is lugging it. 👍🏻  😎

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 9/22/2019 at 1:08 AM, Dodgy Knees said:

Speaking to a friend of mine on Friday, ex racer, he says just ride it normally. All engines are power tested at max revs in factory. To check all is good I suppose. Avoid long full throttle and just ride normal, varied revs.

This. 

The internet is full of a lot of break-in info, much of it not applicable to new bikes but for bikes made decades ago when manufacturing techniques and tolerances were vastly different. My personal take is avoiding lugging or prolonged operation at a constant setting till the first oil change but that's it. 

Been known to purchase new and take to the track for rev limiter abuse or on cross country trips. Tend to keep new bikes for 40-50k miles and then get the itch for something else. Most get sold to friends and family who keep me updated (or better, offer me beer to help with valve checks and maintenance). Got word that my '08 SuperDuke track bike got sold to owner number 3 at 90k trouble-free miles recently. Similar report for my '09 Versys at 80k miles.

Ride It Like You Stole It And Worry Less :)

Edited by chitown
  • Thumbsup 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, Dodgy Knees said:

The T9 is my first Yamaha for many years and I'm liking it. Had first service yesterday, so looking forward to taking the engine to the next level. Never heard before but book says there's a second break-in period up to 1000 miles. 7k rpm ish.

Probably wouldn't mention it to dealer in a warranty claim though.

Hi DK, I picked up my new T9 GT in June and since then have done about 2500 miles. I followed the recommendations in the book which were also pointed out by the dealership. First service done on time and I have yet to find the need to go anywhere near the red line. Perhaps I am not riding it hard enough 😇
CP.