how do i break in my bike?

larsbre11

I just got this fj09. First time ive ever had a brand new bike! Super excited and love it so far. But i wanna make sure im doing everything rite. Any advice on how to break in my first new bike? Thanks for the help!
You have 3 options. 1) As per the manual
2)Motoman method (google it)
3) Something else.

FWIW, I'm planning motoman.  I've had this bike for weeks and haven't even heard it run, as the roads here are full of salt from winter.

This is a very contentious topic, much like favored oils, best tires, Ford vs Chevvy, etc etc etc.

Edit:  Congrats on your new bike!

Having worked in the motorcycle industry for over 30 years, I have known many people who have broken in many a motor in many different ways.

Frankly, its not as a big deal as some make it out to be. Common sense will suffice.

Making sure the motor is up to full operating temperature every ride may be more important. Changing the oil regularly is important.

Nothing magical.

BTW- I am in the process of breaking in my bike right now. Rode the bike home the freeway for about 5-8 miles at 80 MPH. Then it was stop and go city streets. This was about 35 miles total.
Various RPM. Short power bursts. Kinda like the Motoman approach but rarely over 6,000 rpm. So kinda like the manual. Couple times up to 9,000 but just short power bursts. Some rides have been 70-80 miles. Some 20... shifting through the gears because I am breaking in the transmission too. About 400 miles on the bike. Getting ready to change the oil but the recall will be when I do that. Calle them and my bike has no recall that pertains to it. My serial number is in the batch. Hopefully the dealership will be made aware of it my Yamaha this next week.

Lastly, the heat cycles are about the metals expanding and contracting. Everything mating together.

• Premium Member
Obey traffic laws for the first 1,600kms :D
I think I may have done it wrong. 154 times during the first 600 miles
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Obey traffic laws for the first 1,600kms :D
By my math, 154 violations out of 600 miles means 75% of the time you obey traffic laws! Considering the FJ is hard to not ride fast, that's actually quite impressive ;) 

• Premium Member
By my math, 154 violations out of 600 miles means 75% of the time you obey traffic laws! Considering the FJ is hard to not ride fast, that's actually quite impressive ;) 

I think there is an incongruence in our methodologies. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

whats the 0-60 time? 0-100 time? And top speed? All in mph of course
A bit off topic, but as tested in Bike 0-60 3.55 seconds, 1/4 mile 11.3@124mph, top speed 128.8. 
as for breaking in, it's amazing how much poke this bike has up to 6k revs. I look forward to the next 4k :)

I kept it below/at  4k for the first 150 miles, then below 5k up to 300 miles, then below 6k up to 450 miles then 8k to the current 583 miles. But its always warmed up before I get to each of those self imposed limits ( my dealer advised me one way, I just adapted it.might be a bit 'rigid'for some, but im my own man and im happy with my way !!  ::)  oh, and I never sat on a motorway/fast A road at constant revs, I used back roads to keep It going through the gears. Bit ott maybe but this bike is here for years not just a 'season ' or 2 so i need it done properly ( properly in my head anyway ! )
enjoy your 1st ever new bike mate 

3) Something else.

FWIW, I'm planning motoman. I've had this bike for weeks and haven't even heard it run, as the roads here are full of salt from winter.

This is a very contentious topic, much like favored oils, best tires, Ford vs Chevvy, etc etc etc.

2 is the same as 1. Vary throttle but do not ride as certain RPM's for PROLONGED periods.  
Far too many folks think that they should keep the RPM's low during break in yet nothing in the manual recommends that. 

I kept it below/at  4k for the first 150 miles, then below 5k up to 300 miles, then below 6k up to 450 miles then 8k to the current 583 miles. But its always warmed up before I get to each of those self imposed limits ( my dealer advised me one way, I just adapted it.might be a bit 'rigid'for some, but im my own man and im happy with my way !!  ::)  oh, and I never sat on a motorway/fast A road at constant revs, I used back roads to keep It going through the gears. Bit ott maybe but this bike is here for years not just a 'season ' or 2 so i need it done properly ( properly in my head anyway ! ) enjoy your 1st ever new bike mate 
I do something similar to this... depending on how 'performance' the bike is, I'll vary here and there... but generally speaking, more miles = more RPM, usually meeting redline somewhere between 5-600 miles, then do the first oil change. Then ride it like you'll own it, because you do. :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

3) Something else.

FWIW, I'm planning motoman. I've had this bike for weeks and haven't even heard it run, as the roads here are full of salt from winter.

2 is the same as 1. Vary throttle but do not ride as certain RPM's for PROLONGED periods.  
Far too many folks think that they should keep the RPM's low during break in yet nothing in the manual recommends that. 
#2 is decidedly not the same as #1.  One method is designed to reduce the number of warranty claims, the other method is designed to ensure the best seal between rings and cylinder walls.

1 Drink two red bulls, a budlight and shot of Captain Morgans. Do some jumping jacks.

2 Now, drink a quart of Amsoil 10/30 and run around the block.

3 Now, get out your tools and pull all of your exhaust off. Drink another shot of Captain Morgans.

4 Now, drain your oil, put the filter and plug back on. Do some sit ups and drink another quart of !0/30.

5 Now, run in place for 2 minutes, and grab a funnel.

6 Now, piss into the oil hole and blow out a good old fart.

7 Jump on yer bike, let it warm up to 69 degrees and ride a wheelie out of your driveway and ride for 20 miles. Revving up to 6 grand and then back down to 3 grand. Over and over, never really maintaining a steady rpm, rev up, and then rev down.

8 When you hit 20 miles of revving up and then down, then ride home and change your oil and filter.

8 Change oil and filter again at 600 miles, and then 1500 and your bike is pretty much broke in.

PS, you can skip steps 1-6

1  ...Captain Morgan ..  
3  Drink another shot of Captain Morgan...

PS, you can skip steps 1-6
Now we're talking  :-* with  steps 1 and 3, just not before getting on the bike though    ;)  I do hope you mean the dark stuff and not that spiced variety, cheers, I'm enjoying mine now. 
My break in was 2/3's done on freeway/motorway, made certain no fixed rev's and had the oil changed as recommended. My dealer was more conservative in the rev range than the manual, I stuck to that for about 150 miles - I made sure that I didn't labour the engine nor let it get too hot, it's 'matured' well.

Archived