CustomLED Blaster-X Tail Light

Well I'm going to wrap this up after doing a bench test, long story short, confirmed my findings:
1. The running light is brighter than OEM.
2. The solid brake light has similar light output but it is focused to a smaller area than OEM.
3. The strobes, when flashing are twice as bright at OEM, again but more focused.

So in conclusion, the only real downside is when you are on your brakes and the light is not strobing, there is a smaller field of view for the light.  So I set the light to strobe 10 times, then solid.  I would love to set to constant strobe, but that might draw unneeded attention from local leo's.
I didn't run into any fitment issues or wire problems.

If I had to do it again, I would probably invest in some nice turn signals that have running light capabilities and buy a brake light modulator instead.

• Thanks 1

Sorry @betoney  I must have interpolated the wire grounding technique into the docs ( I’m also a former computer geek / tech).

WRT the poor fitment: If you have a fully stock rear end they must have shipped you a mismarked unit. As I said earlier, mine fit like a glove.

good luck!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Well I'm going to wrap this up after doing a bench test, long story short, confirmed my findings:
1. The running light is brighter than OEM.
2. The solid brake light has similar light output but it is focused to a smaller area than OEM.
3. The strobes, when flashing are twice as bright at OEM, again but more focused.

So in conclusion, the only real downside is when you are on your brakes and the light is not strobing, there is a smaller field of view for the light.  So I set the light to strobe 10 times, then solid.  I would love to set to constant strobe, but that might draw unneeded attention from local leo's.
I didn't run into any fitment issues or wire problems.

If I had to do it again, I would probably invest in some nice turn signals that have running light capabilities and buy a brake light modulator instead.

Thanks for confirming this.  Now that I know the procedure, I will change it to a longer initial strobe as well, 7 or 10.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

One  more thought:  Tape the bare end of the programming wire after you have the light set the way you want.  If it made ground while the bike is powered up it might screw up your program choice or some other aspect of the light.

• Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 2 months later...

s

stumbled across this post after riding in some steady rain today.  my wife was following me on the highway and commented she couldn't see the running lights very well in heavier rain.  got me wondering what would be a safer option for both running lights and braking.

any follow ups from the 2 of you who installed this in March?

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, phats22 said:

s

stumbled across this post after riding in some steady rain today.  my wife was following me on the highway and commented she couldn't see the running lights very well in heavier rain.  got me wondering what would be a safer option for both running lights and braking.

any follow ups from the 2 of you who installed this in March?

I don't know why your post is so hard to read, how are you entering text?

This isn't my bike, but I have mine wired to work in conjunction with the turn signals just like this video.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, nhchris said:

One  more thought:  Tape the bare end of the programming wire after you have the light set the way you want.  If it made ground while the bike is powered up it might screw up your program choice or some other aspect of the light.

if the programming wire grounds AFTER power up, it won't affect the programming, but it WILL put the light in 'party' mode. LOL.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:58 PM, betoney said:

Thanks again, much appreciated.  👍

How about the fit betoney?

I was thinking about the Blaster-X and not getting this;   

Upgrade your Yamaha OEM tail light with improved safety, style...

Now I'm back to getting the brake light modulator with the disappointment with fit and brightness.

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, tktplz said:

How about the fit betoney?

image.thumb.png.1896f3d87c62ca23d42738853ce6ea2e.png

I'm not sure what this parts official name is but it (2 pc) fits through rubber grommets to hold on the tail light.  With these in place, I couldn't get the light assembly tight enough to fit securely.   Once removed, the light housing sits directly on the rubber grommet and tightens down very securely.

• Thumbsup 1

11 minutes ago, betoney said:

image.thumb.png.1896f3d87c62ca23d42738853ce6ea2e.png

I'm not sure what this parts official name is but it (2 pc) fits through rubber grommets to hold on the tail light.  With these in place, I couldn't get the light assembly tight enough to fit securely.   Once removed, the light housing sits directly on the rubber grommet and tightens down very securely.

So after the removal of the bushings the light fits correctly and looks factory?   😎

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, tktplz said:

So after the removal of the bushings the light fits correctly and looks factory?   😎

Absolutely 100% proper fit now.👍

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, betoney said:

When you started the original post last week I went ahead and bought one.  I just got it in the mail a few minutes ago and got it installed, to be honest, I am really disappointed.  The fit on mine is terrible, I have the screws very tight and the unit still flops around, comparing it to the stock unit it doesn't look any brighter than stock it just has the middle section lit up for running lights, in fact I had to get down on one knee so it was eye level to even see it very good.  $150 for an extra 1"x3" wider running light that has to be viewed at specific angles.

The biggest disappointment is that every custom programing feature listed is ONLY available if you wire in a toggle switch, if you don't do that then you cant use use ANY of the advertised features.  Why couldn't they explicitly list that in the product description or make mention of that when you add it to the cart to check out? 

sorry for the weird type, hopefully this is better?  beyond the proper fit now, are you satisfied with it's function?  brightness? etc?  or is it still lmited by viewing angle (not a function of preset brightness level)?

also- i like the setup synching the blaster x and other turn signals.  you running stock signals or LED?