There may be a high probability that I'll be needing to get another ECU for my '17. I can discuss reason "why" I need one ove PM. So let's keep this thread on topic.

I'm wondering if anyone has a line on an ECU for the 2017. I've checked eBay with no luck. I'll be calling my local salvage yard in the next couple of days. I've called my local dealer, and was told that there are 0 in stock stateside and even Japan is out. Thus, once an order is placed I'd be looking at 3-6 months plus if I'm lucky just to get one here. So,....suggestions? Anyone know another route I could go?

***(Sorry to the admins if this is in the wrong section. Since I'm not selling anything (and because I haven't hit the 25 post threshold) and because I'm not at the ready to buy at this second, I didn't think classifieds was the right section. Please remove if I've overstepped.)***

image.png

There are two on sale in the UK for £200. What is interesting from the ads is that they say it works for a range of manufacturing years e.g. 2015-17 so that may help if you’ve only been searching for 2017. 

If you are planning to get the ECU flashed then perhaps the ECU can be sourced from an even wider range?

The other thing that I hadn't thought about is the ads included another set of keys, as you’ll need them as they are part of the anti-theft design. I’m guessing that you’ll either have to switch out the ignition lock, or an easier approach would be to keep your original lock set and just carry the “new” key as well, so that its within transponder range. I’m presuming the US has the same ECU/key/security set up.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

There's no RFID chip in my key, so I don't see how the key would be linked to the ECU. However, the ECU *might* be linked to a gauge cluster, or Yamaha has some other clever tricks up their sleeve. Dunno, hopefully someone who had to replace an ECU will chime in soon.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

5 hours ago, BBB said:

There are two on sale in the UK for £200. What is interesting from the ads is that they say it works for a range of manufacturing years e.g. 2015-17 so that may help if you’ve only been searching for 2017. 

If you are planning to get the ECU flashed then perhaps the ECU can be sourced from an even wider range?

The other thing that I hadn't thought about is the ads included another set of keys, as you’ll need them as they are part of the anti-theft design. I’m guessing that you’ll either have to switch out the ignition lock, or an easier approach would be to keep your original lock set and just carry the “new” key as well, so that its within transponder range. I’m presuming the US has the same ECU/key/security set up.

I've talked with Yamaha, and the '17 is a one off doe only that year. I've also spoken with 2WDW and because the older models aren't compatible with the '17, the flash still wouldn't be able to be configured for the '17.

Edited by taylormade21
Addition
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Interesting.   First I’ve heard of that... can anyone confirm?  

Here's the relevant bit from my user manual. It mentions the ECU as being linked. 

My red key never leaves the house.

20200317_142439.jpg

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, BBB said:

Here's the relevant bit from my user manual. It mentions the ECU as being linked. 

My red key never leaves the house.

20200317_142439.jpg

Now you have me curious.   This is for a UK model 2015 Tracer, correct?   

I don’t remember anything about a ‘red key’ with my 2015 US-spec FJ...  I will have to look into this.    Thanks for the information!  

Perhaps an EU thing then. The first page of my manual states that an immobiliser is fitted and I have a flashing red light on the dash when the key is out.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, BBB said:

See item 9, and yes UK 2015 model

20200317_144550.jpg

U.S. models do not have an immobilizer.  #9 is not mentioned in our manual.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

50 minutes ago, betoney said:

U.S. models do not have an immobilizer.

I wonder why? Especially when it’s obviously in Yamaha’s capability to fit it and there’s an obvious consumer benefit to be had.

They even spelled it in an American style!

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

U.S. models do not have an immobilizer.  #9 is not mentioned in our manual.

Well that's good new for me I guess...one less thing to worry about.

Now to just see what options for a used one there are before unloading my wallet at the dealer

We don't have the amount of bike theft other countries do. That's my guess for not having an immobilizer. I don't think I've even seen one on any brand in the US except Harley. Back on topic, I wonder if a 17 ECU from an FZ, MT, or XSR would work? Same engine.