• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Braided brake line supplier in Oz that won't break the bank?

• Supporting Member

After reading a recent thread elsewhere on replacing brake lines I got to thinking that it is probably past due to do them on my 'aging' 2015 model if I'm to follow the service manual's advice of - change after 4 years of life.

So, I had a look around at the braided lines on offer and it would seem I may have to sell my soul if I want some!

HEL are distributed here but at close to AU$500 I want to look elsewhere.

My investigations reveal that there are five line and seven line versions out there for the 2015 ABS model.  The seven line versions reuse the hard line sections existing on the bike and the five liners replace the lot - if anyone was wondering.

These are the makers that I've found and their associated AU price (approx): -

HEL - 494 (7)
SPIEGLER - 500
PROBRAKE - 456
GOODRIDGE - ~500
FREN TUBO - 200 (7)
WEZMOTO - 345

The Italian Fren Tubo lines were the cheapest that I found but had to be sourced from Italy and I don't know how delivery will be at the moment with all of the strife going on?  There's no mention of them on the forum and I wonder if anyone has even heard of them or better yet, used them? I must say they look OK and there's a choice of options.

Any suggestions of a local supplier of (any) braided lines at a reasonable price or is it fully imported only?

TIA

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, jdavis said:

Can these be fitted without removing the bodywork?

I changed out my lines a few months ago and removed all of the front bodywork and tank to get access.

image.png.8c2fd4cd4fc8161377130e182904ea61.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Can it be done by the average home-mechanic, or it is it strictly a dealership job?   Might be time to invest in a nearly-new GT...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, wordsmith said:

Might be time to invest in a nearly-new GT...

LOL, you just never stop do you?  😎👍  Too bad you cant get your last new GT back, it was very nicely set up.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, jdavis said:

Can these be fitted without removing the bodywork?

@jdavis - John I think you'll find that @betoney used Speigler lines that come as a five line package that bypasses/replaces the hard lines.

And just for clarity as there seems to be some confusion around how and where the hard lines start and finish - at least it had me puzzled as to why some people were using five line installs and some seven on the same bike!

From the ABS the front lines begin life as rubber lines and then join hard lines at a union joint just above the starter motor on the left-hand side and are attached to the frame at that point.  They then reappear just under the lower front triple clamp where the turn back into rubber lines and head off to the MC and the front calliper.

The rear pair are hard lines from the abs unit to the union that is visible through the frame just above the rear brake where they turn back into the rubber lines.

I reckon betoney, and he could confirm, didn't need to pull the airbox off to do his five line install as I believe he simply cut the hard lines to make it easy to remove them without having to fenagle them out with all of their bends making it difficult.

I would also reckon that a seven-line install would require the removal of the airbox to access that union point to join into unless it can be done from below through the frame?  I haven't done the job but someone who has may care to comment - @Buggy Nate?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Mate go the wezmoto. They are Hel lines without the price tag.

I’ve recently fit them to mine. Good quality complete kit.

@Buggy Nate - thanks for the feedback. Where did you source yours from and can I ask how much?

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

I reckon betoney, and he could confirm, didn't need to pull the airbox off to do his five line install as I believe he simply cut the hard lines to make it easy to remove them without having to fenagle them out with all of their bends making it difficult.

Correct, I did not need to remove the airbox. 

I would say to anyone considering this, it isn't by any means difficult but is is involved.  The front and rear calipers and master cylinders all feed to the ABS pump, physically trace each line from point A to point B before you start so you are familiar with the routing because once you remove the old lines, you will be replacing the new lines using the same routing.

It might look intimidating at first but if you are methodical and follow the correct routing, it isn't difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

This is one of the FREN TUBO options for the 2015 Tracer. (7 lines)

Stainless steel braid with ERGAL fittings.

mt-09.thumb.jpg.823d1f3446f34194bc1963ca9eabb397.jpg

Prices below in last two columns.  1st amount is euro.

Cheap enough!  Are they good enough?

image.png.deefb44c0641d2c989fdaf1f59efb905.png

• Supporting Member

Are you happy with the length of the OE line from the front MC? I recall you have risers and/or a taller bar... you might want some more flexibility in routing this line, as the ones you show will match OE mount points and likely the length as well. You may have an option of ordering a longer line with this kit. I didn't need a longer line, but opted to route differently from factory to buy me some slack. Just a thought... before you lay down the cash.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

This is one of the FREN TUBO options for the 2015 Tracer. (7 lines)

Stainless steel braid with ERGAL fittings

Cheap enough!  Are they good enough?

I'm not sure what an ergal fitting is?

As far as being good enough, a steel braided hydraulic line is rated to meet a specific psi, I'm sure even a generic hydraulic hose will meet or exceed the psi ratings.  I would think the extra costs of some kits is custom hose colors and special anodized coloring on the fittings.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Are you happy with the length of the OE line from the front MC? I recall you have risers and/or a taller bar... you might want some more flexibility in routing this line, as the ones you show will match OE mount points and likely the length as well. You may have an option of ordering a longer line with this kit. I didn't need a longer line, but opted to route differently from factory to buy me some slack. Just a thought... before you lay down the cash.

That is a good point. 

@dazzler24 -  when using the 7 hose option with the mounting blocks, the blocks attach back to the bike in a fixed position where the 5 line kits that don't use the blocks can 'float' (for lack of a better term) and therefore end up slightly longer or shorter since they dont need to be screwed in place or could be routed slightly differently.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, piotrek said:

Yes, you're right on both counts there @piotrek. Risers and a Renthal fat bar fitted.  The OEM line from the MC is 'taught' for want of a better word but I could have got a little more out of it if I'd slackened the banjo and rotated it slightly.

But good point and in fact I've sent off an email to a supplier asking that very question - i.e. do you provide a slightly longer front line than OEM in this very situation.  I know that Buggy Nate had his (front) made up a little longer for the same reason.

Thanks for the tip and observation.