Paint damage from bugs, is this paint really this delicate?

After washing the bike yesterday I noticed that there are a lot of paint blemishes on the headlight shrouds and a couple areas on the tank from where bugs were splattered. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I did use some turtle wax bug and tar remover so maybe that did it but I don't think so.

It's hard to get a good photo showing the damage but you can see some of the damage near where the sun was reflecting in this photo. Both shrouds are covered with these blemishes.

I have tried using scratch X 2.0 to remove the blemishes but have not had any success. I'm kind of bummed because I dont even have 4,000 miles on this bike yet and this was after only 2 weeks between washes. 

So, is this paint just really this delicate or did I do something wrong? I have never had this issue on any other vehicle I've owned. 

20200502-130544.jpg

Edited by Zach26

So it turns out I didn't do a good enough job stripping the wax off before attempting to buff the imperfections out. So I used a clay bar one more time before trying again and they buffed out beautifully. I'm still surprised by how easily bugs caused this. 

I guess I will just have to do a better jobs of keeping bugs off between washes and keeping a good coat of wax on it. 

Edited by Zach26

6 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Claybar, you need claybar.

Yeah I had already used a clay bar but apparently I needed to go over it one more time before buffing them out. All good now. 

• Thumbsup 1

I think he meant he went to a bar and thought about it then washed it one more time. Not sure what a clay bar is but maybe it’s an autocorrect for political correctness, or something. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toddtr said:

I think he meant he went to a bar and thought about it then washed it one more time. Not sure what a clay bar is but maybe it’s an autocorrect for political correctness, or something. 

LMAO! I live in Louisiana with many bugs and even LUV Bugs. My paint on my red 2015 is a OK after many years of bugs. I use Walmart's version of dawn to wash and Turtle Wax Clear. I'm not near as anal as I was 10 years ago about keeping my stuff spotless. I sometimes go a couple of months between washes. Now I do have a couple of chips on my Gold Anodized forks, 😠. Probably comes from riding in packs with friends doing strafing runs, LOL! Had Bob on his ZX14 hit me in the left shoulder with a rock.....boulder is what it felt like. Big ole bruise! 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@tktplz - Lovebugs, you say?   Never heard of ‘em... 

B4AB3FC3-119C-43C8-AC96-E68538042590.thumb.jpeg.142781ab31f6eddb7a5b03f097fe2f0e.jpeg

Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha! It does look familiar tho

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

I use Sprayway "glass" cleaner which has no ammonia, and if you shake the can before, it foams up and dissolves bugs and grime.  Amazing  stuff, let it sit a couple 4 minutes, hit the bad ones with a tooth brush after another spot shot of spray.  Squeegee wipe with a thick microfiber towel.  Done!  Any decent protectorate will do; i.e., ProtectAll.  I use Kerosene for grease.  I do find the paint on plastic soft.  I applied a clear applique. 

6 hours ago, Toddtr said:

A clay bar is used in auto detailing. It’s a resin bar that can remove contaminants, pollutants and debris from paint, fibreglass, etc. It works extremely well. The paint will never be more smooth. Then you buff and wax after. It’s a great product. 

• Thumbsup 1

Well I was trying to be funny and  sarcastic but I guess it didn’t come off as that. Guess my girlfriend is right, I’m not funny at all. 

Edited by Toddtr
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Well I was trying to be funny and  sarcastic but I guess it didn’t come off as that. Guess my girlfriend is right, I’m not funny at all. 

I got the humour, for sure! Was just explaining what the bat is, that’s all!