Shock preload adjustment tool

Evening all!

Quick question to those among you who enjoy twiddling your suspension.  I have a K-tech Razor R Lite rear shock fitted, the one without the remote preload adjuster.  K-tech nicely included a c-spanner, however as access to the collar is appalling once fitted to the bike I can only use the spanner for part of a turn.  Once that part turn is made I can't get the spanner into position to get another part turn.  The adjustment collar has a combination of troughs and round pin holes for inserting tools into.  Does anybody in a similar predicament have any recommendations for an alternative tool?  I'm sort of regretting being a cheapskate and wishing I'd coughed up for the remote preload version....

CS

• Supporting Member

My Nitron has a similar preload ring I think. I use a pin tool and it is quite effective. I have to alternate between the straight and angled end as I work the ring. Works for me. Maybe K-Tech has a similar tool or could refer you to a third party solution. You could probably adapt the Nitron tool but would have to grind the ends to fit the holes in the ring. Would weaken the tool though. Good luck.

straight.thumb.PNG.b2e86716a7f971091a7f47b337069c43.PNG

angled.thumb.PNG.9029348bd009cfd2e11345b3873d6a77.PNG

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

I have the same shock. You do know to loosen the set screw on the bottom adjusteder first? I think it's a 3 mm socket head screw.  I trimmed off square the end of the K-Tech spanner so it would fit in the Yamaha OEM shock spanner and wrench extension for more leverage.  You CAN rotate the preload ring around a little bit at a time.  The small holes will accept a hardened flat end steel pin (can't remember the diameter) to also rotate the preload ring.  My shock has a custom Torrington bearing but for some reason Matt installed it at the upper end of the spring. When I remove the swing arm to grease the bearings and linkage, I'm going to move the Torrington bearing to the bottom where I think it should be. Regardless, it is a PITA to adjust preload. The pin adjuster should have a bend in it to help access, and both ends can be used.  Penske shocks use a pin "wrench" but it's much larger in diameter.

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

My Nitron has a similar preload ring I think. I use a pin tool and it is quite effective. I have to alternate between the straight and angled end as I work the ring. Works for me. Maybe K-Tech has a similar tool or could refer you to a third party solution. You could probably adapt the Nitron tool but would have to grind the ends to fit the holes in the ring. Would weaken the tool though. Good luck.

Ahh that Nitron tool looks just the ticket.  Do you think you might be able to stick a micrometer on the end of that pin and measure the diameter?

CS

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have the same shock. You do know to loosen the set screw on the bottom adjusteder first? I think it's a 3 mm socket head screw.  I trimmed off square the end of the K-Tech spanner so it would fit in the Yamaha OEM shock spanner and wrench extension for more leverage.  You CAN rotate the preload ring around a little bit at a time.  The small holes will accept a hardened flat end steel pin (can't remember the diameter) to also rotate the preload ring.  My shock has a custom Torrington bearing but for some reason Matt installed it at the upper end of the spring. When I remove the swing arm to grease the bearings and linkage, I'm going to move the Torrington bearing to the bottom where I think it should be. Regardless, it is a PITA to adjust preload. The pin adjuster should have a bend in it to help access, and both ends can be used.  Penske shocks use a pin "wrench" but it's much larger in diameter.

Yes I am aware of the set screw.  I think I need to find a suitable pin wrench.

CS

Have you seen this @captainscarlet

s-l400.jpg

Shock Punch Spanner. An ideal tool for turning hard to reach lock and...

I have the Nitron tool as well, so I’ll measure it for you, but they seem to do 5 and 6mm versions.

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/accessories/tools

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

...Do you think you might be able to stick a micrometer on the end of that pin and measure the diameter?

It's just a hair under 6mm. I think you will need a tool with the straight and angled pin end combination to make this work. The fit needs to be precise for the tool to be effective.

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

3 hours ago, piotrek said:

It's just a hair under 6mm. I think you will need a tool with the straight and angled pin end combination to make this work. The fit needs to be precise for the tool to be effective.

Ok thanks for that.  I've measured the pin holes on the K-tech collar and they are exactly 4mm in diameter and 8mm deep.  This means, unfortunately, that the Nitron tool is too large.  Looks like it might have to be the punch that BBB linked to.

CS

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

Ok thanks for that.  I've measured the pin holes on the K-tech collar and they are exactly 4mm in diameter and 8mm deep.  This means, unfortunately, that the Nitron tool is too large.  Looks like it might have to be the punch that BBB linked to.

CS

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs...

Pin diameter not stated but it's brass, which WILL bend or snap off; plus the tip is not replaceable or double ended with the needed kink at one end.

tool_8900_preload_adjuster-1.jpg?w=640

PENSKE RACING SHOCKS SPRING PRELOAD ADJUSTER

This is what you need but the rod (pin) diameter is too large and the kinked end too short.

Options

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000...
$_62.PNG?set_id=880000500F

Find great deals for SILVER STEEL GROUND SHAFT ROD ROUND 2-20mm...
s-l400.jpg

High strength, good plasticity. 5 x Titanium Rod. Material: Titanium. Grade:...
s-l400.jpg

The tolerance for the silver steel bars are up to 25mm +0/-0.015", and over...

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Adjusting preload is difficult with the OEM shock too (2015 model). There's just not enough space to rotate the tool, I had to remove left rear passenger peg to make it (a bit) easier...

I wonder if the newer GT shock with the remote adjuster would be a direct fit?