2019 gt chain tension.

• 7 months later...

Just got back from an MOT where there was an advisory that the chain was too tight.

I did my usual check on the centre stand and it was around 30mm, so went back to them to argue the toss.

The mechanic sat on the bike and asked me to take a look at the chain - not quite drum tight but pretty close, and I'd say the suspension wasn't quite compressed to the maximum arc of the swing arm.

Mine's a 2016 and the manual says 5-15mm, which I've been ignoring, but clearly even 30mm is not enough. I'm going to aim at 35-45mm.

What the HECK were Yamaha thinking when they said 5-15mm? Does anyone know of someone successfully claiming for replacement bearings from Yamaha, when they've failed?

😡😡😡

Coincidentally I just talked to the dealer about chain maintenance today.

His view was that we can never outsmart the Japanese engineers and should just do as they say. In his shop they follow the service manual to the letter.

This came up again when I told him I had just aligned the wheels using the string method and he told me to use the markers above the axle instead, because that is what the manual says. And another time when he commented that my chain was too dry. I explained that I clean it with kerosene and lube it with gear oil every 500 miles and he looked at me as if I was stupid. 🙂 I told him it was in the service manual (ha!) as well but I actually started doing it after seeing this FortNine video:

He then went in his office and printed out the pages that I have already and proved that it didn't say gear oil, it says engine oil. Then he said just use chain spray.

That is advise I will not follow as I'm very happy with my gear oil; it looks slick, is so cheap, and dirt does not stick to it but.. he was right that the chain was kind of dry. I think I overdid the wipe-down in the end.

I like that he is quite passionate and has such faith in the brand. None of the manual specs seem to have caused him any problems up till now. He said that the tracers 900's are great bikes and you can't fault them. Now that's what you like to hear from a dealer (who hasn't sold me anything except a top case lock btw).

Edited by petshark
spelling
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Rovari said:

And the dealer should "not" have sold you the lock that is included with the bike!

My understanding is that all Tracers come with a lock cylinder under the seat. When I asked my dealer where mine was they said they didn't know but they did order one and are covering the cost. Spend 15k on a bike and they wanna stiff ya for another $50 for the lock! 

What I meant is that I bought the bike secondhand and that dealer has not sold me anything except what I specifically ordered from him. The lock is a replacement for the top case lock which was the only one that had a separate key (also have the side cases). I wanted it to match the ignition key as well and it was only 24 euros.