Let's see your past bikes...

keithu

• Supporting Member
On 7/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Stew said:

In order (as best as I can remember)...

Dang that is a COLLECTION over the years :)

+1 for all that mud

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

14 minutes ago, knyte said:

Dang that is a COLLECTION over the years :)

+1 for all that mud

You should have seen that ride, we had to get a 4*4 with a tow rope to get the bike out, it just looked like a grey puddle :)
In fact it was grey clay mud, the bike stopped instantly, I went over the bars, and it sunk up to nearly the top of the seat.
I laughed my head off, I've done stupider, but that is a story for another day ;)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stew said:

ATGATT for me on my 250 version consisted of a Boeri Helmet (which got regular resprays when my mum worked in a paintshop) , a belstaff jacket, pair of jeans and trainers. Never did me any harm (other than permanent scars on both knees from getting the pegs to ground and spark on roundabouts :)
It was my first bike, and I had no idea how to ride it, so I took a week and toured all over Scotland, at the recommended run in revs , which was approx 30-35mph. I did 1000 miles that week, and the bike shop were in shock when I was back for my first service the same week I bought it :) I loved that wee bike, but I imagine it would be horrendous to ride now.

That 400N was a great handler in its day, there was a new residential area in our town where they built all the roads but no houses for about 5 years so we created a "circuit" and we used to fly around there on Saturdays and Sundays. Mostly kids on 50s and 125s but nothing bigger than a 500.

I later had Pirelli Phantom tyres on it (not in these pictures) which were great for grip and the pegs were worn down to about an inch long from being scraped in corners.

As you see in the picture I had a Bell Star helmet and Bates gloves (on top of the green bag on the ground), Dainese leather jacket and the obligatory jeans and trainers. One Sunday morning I threw it into a right hander, the peg folded, the mount caught the ground which lifted the rear wheel slightly and down I went. I slid to a stop on my right buttock and right hand, jeans through to skin in a flash (resulting in a rash the size of a side plate) but the gloves saved my right palm, the leather was worn down to almost see through but not a mark on my hand.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, andz said:

I later had Pirelli Phantom tyres on it (not in these pictures) which were great for grip and the pegs were worn down to about an inch long from being scraped in corners.

My first bike was a '78 CB400T, very similar to your CB400N. It had the stock exhaust and some crappy tires, but it handled well enough that it wasn't long before I was scrapping the pegs and pipes in every corner. 

• Like 1

@andz , @keithu  I used to love getting the pegs down on mine, I could even manage it in the rain. My, it was lovely to be invincible back in the olden days, eh.
I once had a friend on the back of mine (i'll call him Ted to keep a level of anonymity ;) ), and we were in a hurry to drop the bike off and go to the pub. As I approached a roundabout just near my house, the catholic church right next to the roundabout was just coming out, so there were loads of people around, and I decided to put on a show for them by grinding the pegs right round the roundabout , (imagining rapturous applause etc)
Of course, the road was wet, but that was no real obstacle.
Until my peg dug in, lifted the back wheel and down we went.
I tell you what, I got up quicker than I went down, I was mortified :)
Rode home, mum patched up the cuts and grazes with elastoplast and off to the pub to meet my pals.

Sitting in the pub, and my pals said , 'where's Ted?' , and that was when I realised......

I'd only gone and left him lying in the road , hahahaha, how we laughed when he wandered in an hour later , looking all sorry for himself.
Man, I am laughing my head off again just remembering , hahaha, it was awesome.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

I tell you what, I got up quicker than I went down, I was mortified

Same here, it was in front of around 30 people!

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Stew said:

Sitting in the pub, and my pals said , 'where's Ted?' , and that was when I realised......

I hope someone bought poor Ted a pint or two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, andz said:

That bag is REALLY old and I still have it 😮

Just looking at that photo of your T reg, mine was a V.  But it was the helmet that caught my eye, I forgot they used to have press studs to close the visor. My, how times have changed.

• Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, Stew said:

Just looking at that photo of your T reg, mine was a V.  But it was the helmet that caught my eye, I forgot they used to have press studs to close the visor. My, how times have changed.

T reg in South Africa wasn't the same as in the UK, it means it was registered in Transvaal province. There has never been anything here indicating year of registration.

Before they switched to that system (which has been changed twice since then) the registrations had 2 or 3 letters followed by a number up to 6 digits, the letters indicated the city of registration. Some provinces here still use that system today.

Edited by andz
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Stew said:

My, how times have changed.

Indeed.   I just had the revelation that the Bell Race Star carbon helmet I’m looking to buy costs twice as much as the (admittedly ratty) CB400F I bought as my first street bike.   

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Indeed.   I just had the revelation that the Bell Race Star carbon helmet I’m looking to buy costs twice as much as the (admittedly ratty) CB400F I bought as my first street bike.   

The price I paid for my AGV Corsa R helmet 2 years ago is 6 times the price I paid for that 400N brand new. Of course our currency went into the toilet years ago so the exchange rate is really crappy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

I start riding when I was 12, I used to ride my dad’s motorcycles. I learnt riding on Suzuki A100. I don’t have pictures, below  are taking from internet.

1978 Suzuki A100

A100.png.9c393bcdfb1d731db71528cd75c33855.png

1984 Suzuki GP100

GP100.png.038cbad69027810e702b64d6737ec597.png

Kawasaki GTO was my first purchased in 1992.

1989 Kawasaki GTO 125

GTO125.png.4fcd0eb47de9045edcd7025d8f81abc2.png

In 1999, I traded my GTO with used Honda CG.

1997 Honda CG 125

CG125.png.298be97b1a7f3f3950aa98257a5bae98.png

I sold Honda CG in early 2001.

There was a huge riding gap (14 yrs) due to many reasons. But as motorcycle was in my blood I ended up purchasing in 2015. All following pictures are from my camera.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50

M50.thumb.jpg.0d27cda4f272668468166a3d05521466.jpg

After a year in 2016 I sold M50 and purchased used FZ1. Soon enough I become a big fan of FZ1 power delivery and agility and decided to keep that bike until I purchased my first brand new 2019 Tracer 900 GT in the fall of 2018 and forced to sold my favorite FZ1. I still missed that bike!

2009 Yamaha FZ1

FZ1.thumb.jpg.ffc5a08d92d466b61e729777927a7484.jpg

I started track riding in 2017 and kept few bikes for track purposes. Couple of month back I sold my CBR600RR and admitted that sports is not affordable anymore.

2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

2007 CBR600RR

2009 Yamaha R6

2008 CBR600RR

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

900GT.thumb.jpg.c3f2fbf306724f040a5d558ec4b37e4f.jpg
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1