Let's see your past bikes...

keithu

16 hours ago, jdavis said:

Not sold in Australia unfortunately.

Not sold off shelves basically anywhere as far as I can tell, need to order them in.  Anyone who sells offroad Anlas tires (Capra-X for example) can get them in, but they probably don't know it.  Just need a parts guy who's willing to do a bit of investigation to get them.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, huck said:

Cool! I could not find a picture of mine, actually I don't think I ever had one, so I used this one. Did not know who it was (Sorry!) Also, I did not get EBC money. But, I did then and still do use Shoei helmets. and well, I really wasn't all that fast then or now... But I loved it.

That is one of the bikes I wish I could have kept. But I trashed mine too badly... I feel the same way regarding that time in US racing and miss it.

If I have learned anything from this thread it is that I need to take more pictures.

No worries at all...  I think most of us are pretty limited on pictures from the pre-digital era.   This is the only known photo of me on the GSXR, so I'm thrilled just to see someone other than myself post a photo of my racing exploits!  

• Thumbsup 1

Good. I of course meant no disrespect, etc. But, just as you mentioned, this was before we all went around with a phone that took pictured. I admit that I still do not take enough advantage of that amazing ability. This picture was simply the best action shot that captured both the bike and the era. I will amend the title I have under the picture I'n my archive to carry your handle. You at least have one picture of you on board the early GXSR at speed----100% more than I have.

By the way, I would not have any idea how to pick a favorite. To me there are some "Categories" to be considered which might make it easier like racing, touring, daily rider, or such things as carburetor, Fi (Thankful for this!), and now electric as I have been involved with EV MOTO since about '05 (Very fast, more torque than the law should allow, etc). that makes it easier as each category is a smaller bunch. But when I try that it turns out to not be any easier. Well, a category I usually consider to be well over with is the early 2 Stroke scooters from my college days that required a cleaned or new spark plug every time you tried to start them. but even those led to some fun times. ATGATE for those if I remember was a hooded duffel coat and an open faced Bell Helmet.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, huck said:

Good. I of course meant no disrespect, etc. But, just as you mentioned, this was before we all went around with a phone that took pictured. I admit that I still do not take enough advantage of that amazing ability. This picture was simply the best action shot that captured both the bike and the era. I will amend the title I have under the picture I'n my archive to carry your handle. You at least have one picture of you on board the early GXSR at speed----100% more than I have.

I'm REALLY fortunate to have had a profession photographer friend with a press pass back when I was racing, or all I would have is a handful of random, far-way, out-of-focus snapshots.  

I'll go back separately and put together a history of memorable past street bikes, but this lowly Honda Hawk GT is unquestionably the bike I most enjoyed racing: 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Cool... that’s me!   

There were a ton of us racing GSXRs back in the 1990s, chasing Suzuki contingency money (along with Michelin ‘BibBucks’, EBC brake money, etc).  

This would have been my 1992 GSXR 750, the last of the oil-air cooled bikes, just before the big pig 1993 water-cooled GSXR appeared.   Fond memories of this motorcycle, and the overall era for the sport.   It really was the golden age of road racing in the US.  

That's awesome, man!  Fantastic pic, too, looks like that was a ton of fun.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

With heavy heart, I said good-bye to a good friend this past week.

I've owned this bike since new with zero miles on the odometer.  The cool thing was that I sold it to a young guy in his early 20's, about the same age I was when I bought it. He was so jazzed to get the bike and stated a number of times that it was going to a good home and would be taken care of.

I actually turned down a couple of other offers for the same price as I didn't like the vibe. I get attached to my bikes.

1995 Suzuki DR250se

00m0m_avjxAQBpuVf_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

All of my bikes to date, in order:

2007 FJR1300
2007 Burgman 650 (initially for the Mrs, but I loved it too)
2018 Africa Twin
2018 Gold Wing
2020 Gold Wing Tour
2020 Tracer GT

I like those 2018 red/maroon Honda's.  I have been considering a possible future adventure touring bike, how did you like the Africa Twin? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I like those 2018 red/maroon Honda's.  I have been considering a possible future adventure touring bike, how did you like the Africa Twin? 

Meh, I guess it was OK. Allow me to explain. You'll notice there's an 10 year gap in the years of my bikes. That's because I stopped riding after my youngest was born. Only got going again about three years ago with the Africa Twin. I misspoke about the year. That was actually a 2017 AT with Honda's dual clutch automatic. I was a little nervous about my clutch ability, but wanted to get riding again so I went with one of the few bikes that served an "all-around" need: commuting, sportiness, adventure, etc. I loved it at first, but once I got my groove back, I quickly realized how inadequate it really is. It's FAR down on power compared to similar displacement adventure touring rides, and the front dove like Greg Louganis at the '88 Olympics. But I can say one thing very positive about it. It was immensely comfortable for me. Like all adventure bikes, it's tall, but at 6'3" and a 34" inseam, I could flat foot it without issue. TBH, now that the T7 is starting to roll into the states, I wouldn't give the Africa Twin another thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

Meh, I guess it was OK. Allow me to explain. You'll notice there's an 10 year gap in the years of my bikes. That's because I stopped riding after my youngest was born. Only got going again about three years ago with the Africa Twin. I misspoke about the year. That was actually a 2017 AT with Honda's dual clutch automatic. I was a little nervous about my clutch ability, but wanted to get riding again so I went with one of the few bikes that served an "all-around" need: commuting, sportiness, adventure, etc. I loved it at first, but once I got my groove back, I quickly realized how inadequate it really is. It's FAR down on power compared to similar displacement adventure touring rides, and the front dove like Greg Louganis at the '88 Olympics. But I can say one thing very positive about it. It was immensely comfortable for me. Like all adventure bikes, it's tall, but at 6'3" and a 34" inseam, I could flat foot it without issue. TBH, now that the T7 is starting to roll into the states, I wouldn't give the Africa Twin another thought.

Thanks for the honest assessment, I appreciate it.👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@SKYFLIX - Thanks for the insight on the Africa Twin.   Since you’re in the bike review business now, what are your thoughts on the new Gold Wing?   I test rode one briefly, and I was impressed with the ‘leaner & meaner’ feeling of this new generation.   I think I liked it, but curious what it’s like to live with for an extended period.    Thanks in advance! 

• Thumbsup 1