raising the fj-09 for offroad travel?

• Supporting Member

Sounds like a cool project... although I suspect it will sacrifice some of the sporty character of the bike, but if you're good with that... 👍. I have seen photos of the FJ converted on this forum somewhere some years ago. Have fun.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 hour ago, littlebruv said:

If you are going to raise the height of the Tracer 900 for more ground clearance why not just buy a bike that is made for the purpose in the first place 🙄 or just build a Yamaha FZT900 like Stephane Peterhansel rode in a Paris Dakar which had a bored out FZ750 engine

i dont know, why not just buy your dream house. why not just go ahead and buy a Lamborghini. why not just go build a $100,000 bike that can suit my every whim...... i love it when somebody says "why not just do..........." like they think the person they are talking about has an infinite amount of money or can simply make the debt they have disappear in the f***ing wind! if i wanted to have a bike for each specific purpose, i would have about 5 or 6 of them, but im not made of money! in fact, i lost a great paying job due to this damn virus BS and had a huge reduction in pay at a new job and it will barely pays my bills as it is! so the next time you say "why dont you just........" , maybe take a second to think that some people live paycheck to paycheck just trying to survive!

besides, i already have the fj and i love it, it just needs a little more ground clearance to be able to tackle the occasional trail i might want to take it down.

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Sounds like a cool project... although I suspect it will sacrifice some of the sporty character of the bike, but if you're good with that... 👍. I have seen photos of the FJ converted on this forum somewhere some years ago. Have fun.

i understand that i will lose a little flickability doing this, but i think it will be worth it. besides, its easy enough to change it back to stock if i dont like it.

• Thumbsup 1

20 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Maybe a little extreme... but hey, somewhat topical.

similar to what im going for! the fairing on that bike looks really strange from the side. i plan to keep a dirt oriented tire on my fj, maybe a little more aggressive than whats on it now even. just wondering, but would a 120 or 130/80-17 fit in the front, and second, would it mess with the tcs/abs?

22 hours ago, trevinator said:

i dont know, why not just buy your dream house. why not just go ahead and buy a Lamborghini. why not just go build a $100,000 bike that can suit my every whim...... i love it when somebody says "why not just do..........." like they think the person they are talking about has an infinite amount of money or can simply make the debt they have disappear in the f***ing wind! if i wanted to have a bike for each specific purpose, i would have about 5 or 6 of them, but im not made of money! in fact, i lost a great paying job due to this damn virus BS and had a huge reduction in pay at a new job and it will barely pays my bills as it is! so the next time you say "why dont you just........" , maybe take a second to think that some people live paycheck to paycheck just trying to survive!

besides, i already have the fj and i love it, it just needs a little more ground clearance to be able to tackle the occasional trail i might want to take it down.

Why waste money you dont have trying to jack the suspension up, just accept the tracer for what it is...A ROAD BIKE

6 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

Why waste money you dont have trying to jack the suspension up, just accept the tracer for what it is...A ROAD BIKE

why did you change the shock on your bike? why did you change the seat on your bike? why didnt you accept the bike for what it was or instead find a bike that was perfect for you from the get go? its human nature to change things. we find a base to work with, and then build from there. same thing with jeeps. why not just leave them stock and accept them for what they are? i'll tell you why, its because nothing "pre-made" will take me where i take my jeep. somebody has to pioneer these things for them to exist in the first place. what im doing is a simple reversible bolt on and there is no "trying", its happening.

and werent you just trying to tell me to build up a different road bike in your last post? the fz750 is way more of a road bike than the fj-09...... why would i "just accept it for what it is" with the fj, but not an 80's era sport bike? you seem way to eager to give in to things as "thats just the way they are".

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, littlebruv said:

I beg to differ. The FJ handles well off road even with street tires.

March2020-3.jpg

March2020-5.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

That KR Special looks sick!!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

5 hours ago, littlebruv said:

I thought this might of been the type of trail riding your more interesting in doing if raising the suspension

i dont like mud, but rocky dry trails is what im trying to gain ground clearance for. the chance atv trail and single track if i happen to find it.

• Thumbsup 1

last night i added a set of tkc80's to my versys 650 so i could take it on some trails. the versys has roughly the gc that the fj would after i lift her, and that made me realize that my fj-09 is best left as a road bike! i took my versys on trails that i probably shouldnt have today! i only dropped her once, but it was on an uphill climb with roots, boulders and clay! no damage to the bike except a bent up lower fairing mount, which is easy to bend back. the mud puddle in the picture was over a foot deep and i got the bike hung up on the exhaust in the middle of it! there is no way in hell that i want to take my fj to the same places i took my versys today! it was fun for the most part on the versys, but she was definitely out of her element!117764670_3140457206067833_646577184346088145_o.thumb.jpg.4a44def531943d8d6820b254a22694a8.jpg117626043_3140457166067837_9034546649699463748_o.thumb.jpg.75d5ffd6c96f1b861cdfbdb2d8c24c4b.jpg

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, trevinator said:

...there is no way in hell that i want to take my fj to the same places i took my versys today! it was fun for the most part on the versys, but she was definitely out of her element!

What I see there in the photos looks best left for Tracer700 or the like. Good for you for trying though. There are some very interesting gravel and fire routes that I want explore in Northern Ontario... but without having to buy another bike. 🤔

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif