How to make a damping rod removal tool

My new AK-20 cartridges came in this afternoon. Having never done any fork work in my life,  I made sure to read the installation directions over and over, and watched numerous videos online on removing the factory damping rod assembly. I KNEW that it was going to be tricky to remove the factory rod without the Yamaha or an aftermarket specialty tool (which I didn't have, and didn't want to buy). I had initially thought about just running the forks by the local dealership and asking them to remove the parts for me. I'm sure they would have happily done this. But that takes time, and time is money as they say...Plus, it's Monday, and we all know that most Powersports dealers are closed on Monday.

So I decided to give it a go myself. Traxxion mentioned in their installation directions that some customers had luck using an impact wrench to loosen the factory bolt. I tried that first, and while it did break the screw loose, once it was loose, the rod just began to spin freely. So it occurred to me that I could make a simple tool using nothing more than 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe which I happened to have laying around in the garage. 30 seconds of sanding on the belt sander to square off the end, and a few hits with a Dremel to sand out the cutouts, and I present this. Since the screw had already been broken free by the impact wrench, I needed only this tool, and the 8mm hex wrench to finish off the bolt.

I'm a happy camper.

IMG_20200713_172406.jpg

• Thumbsup 6
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Good call. I made one from 1" EMT. Found it very useful during assembly to torque things down to spec. No way I was spending the money on a RaceTech tool.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

I managed with the big straight blade screwdriver but I've got some 3/4" PVC and we'll try making a similar tool next time thanks for the input. I don't recall the exact torque but the retaining Bolt doesn't take a significant amount and the ones that Matt provided out of aluminum so you got to be careful.

I only needed to use this to remove the factory damping rod. Traxxion provides their own tool for tightening their cartridges, though I understand its rarely needed. They don't even provide a torque spec. Just tight enough that the bolt doesn't spin.