pattonme online vendor?

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

I see people posting about "forks by matt"

But looking around he is no longer a member?

Whats the story?

I don't know the exact story but he used to be a contributing vendor on many different bike forums.  He did high quality fork upgrades for a great price, unfortunately building forks was his side job.  Even when he was active on here, work got in the way and he quickly got WAY behind filling orders, like months behind, my order was 4 months from order to delivery. 

I never heard his reasons but I read a lot of different forums and similar story every where, active member and then - nothing.🤷‍♀️

Too bad because in addition to building nice fork cartridges, he was a wealth of information concerning suspension, on every bike forum.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That's unfortunate.  I was hoping to run across someone who could hold my hand a little bit when searching out suspension.

Looking on the forum here the suspension section is kind of quite.  The available choices are overwhelming.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

That's unfortunate.  I was hoping to run across someone who could hold my hand a little bit when searching out suspension.

Looking on the forum here the suspension section is kind of quite.  The available choices are overwhelming.

There have been several members getting upgrades recently, lots of discussion in the past on choices.  What are your questions?

Obviously the ideal solution would be consulting a vendor close to you but that's not always an option.  Most people order components and install the shock their self and the fork might be easier to mail off and get modified unless you have the proper tools.

Lots of info on this site, feel free to ask.👍

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

If you're near Sac, contact Aaron at bhp motorsports.

They installed ktech valves, pistons and springs for my weight.

There's a mechanic there that has a fj-09, fz-09 and a xsr. I guess he likes the engine. 

• Thumbsup 2

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

There have been several members getting upgrades recently, lots of discussion in the past on choices.  What are your questions?

Obviously the ideal solution would be consulting a vendor close to you but that's not always an option.  Most people order components and install the shock their self and the fork might be easier to mail off and get modified unless you have the proper tools.

Lots of info on this site, feel free to ask.👍

Well.  First, basically what is a good value for around 1500 usd.? Just in parts.  I'm thinking K-Tech is a good option?

2019 Yamaha TRACER 900 K-Tech Suspension Razor-R Lite Rear Shock

2019 Yamaha TRACER 900 K-Tech Suspension 20IDS Fork Cartridges

I'm not a racer.  I enjoy spirited riding every now and then but my tires wear mostly down the middle.

And those 2 purchases should totally cover me right?  Nothing else to buy as far as shocks and forks go besides fork oil.

Second.  Is this a diy project?  I do brakes, change shocks, I do all my own work on my vehicles and have been wrenching all my life.  But I have never done motorcycle forks.  From what I have read so far, most people have been able to do the cartridge swap without buying special tools.  I saw one guy made a tool from pvc pipe to reach down in the tube to get that one special nut. 👍 And I could macgiver  a spring compressor.  The rear shock seems fairly straight forward.  

But then I ask myself if its worth it to pay a shop to do the work.  It is vital that it is done correctly.  And I would suspect a shop would spend some time helping me set it up correctly too.  But, in my area a good suspension shop is 1.5 hours away.  And its more money.

The second question is more of a personal choice I guess. 

But some feedback on the K-tech choice or another option would be cool.

16 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

If you're near Sac, contact Aaron at bhp motorsports.

They installed ktech valves, pistons and springs for my weight.

There's a mechanic there that has a fj-09, fz-09 and a xsr. I guess he likes the engine. 

👍

Did they have the parts or did you bring your own?

Sac is about 2 hours from me.  San Fran sico is about the same.  Any suggestions in the 707 area?

Edited by iitywygms

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

Well.  First, basically what is a good value for around 1500 usd.? Just in parts.  I'm thinking K-Tech is a good option?

2019 Yamaha TRACER 900 K-Tech Suspension Razor-R Lite Rear Shock

2019 Yamaha TRACER 900 K-Tech Suspension 20IDS Fork Cartridges

I'm not a racer.  I enjoy spirited riding every now and then but my tires wear mostly down the middle.

And those 2 purchases should totally cover me right?  Nothing else to buy as far as shocks and forks go besides fork oil.

Second.  Is this a diy project?  I do brakes, change shocks, I do all my own work on my vehicles and have been wrenching all my life.  But I have never done motorcycle forks.  From what I have read so far, most people have been able to do the cartridge swap without buying special tools.  I saw one guy made a tool from pvc pipe to reach down in the tube to get that one special nut. 👍 And I could macgiver  a spring compressor.  The rear shock seems fairly straight forward.  

But then I ask myself if its worth it to pay a shop to do the work.  It is vital that it is done correctly.  And I would suspect a shop would spend some time helping me set it up correctly too.  But, in my area a good suspension shop is 1.5 hours away.  And its more money.

The second question is more of a personal choice I guess. 

But some feedback on the K-tech choice or another option would be cool.

The shock is a direct swap, no special tools required.  The forks will require some sort of cartridge tool like you mentioned, a fork oil height measuring tool, a spring compressor and a jamb nut holder.

FSTK.jpg

We have assembled a tool kit consisting of everything special you will need...

The K-Tech parts you listed have been used by many owners here, with great results.  The only thing of note is some say that the forks come with too high spring rate, so you might request the next step softer.

Honestly any of the big name brand components will be a huge step up from stock, the important thing is how they are set-up internally.  All of the external billet shiny bling means nothing if the valving is incorrect.

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

👍

Sac is about 2 hours from me.  San Fran sico is about the same.  Any suggestions in the 707 area?

• Thumbsup 1

41 minutes ago, betoney said:

The shock is a direct swap, no special tools required.  The forks will require some sort of cartridge tool like you mentioned, a fork oil height measuring tool, a spring compressor and a jamb nut holder.

FSTK.jpg

We have assembled a tool kit consisting of everything special you will need...

So with this kit, and a cartridge tool of some sort I can do the complete fork cartridge swap?

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

👍

They ordered. Gave me 3 different options and price points. 

You could probably schedule an appointment and get it done same day.

I did the shock myself. I went nitron r1. Would probably do Penske double clicker if a do over.

Aaron used to work at a Yamaha dealer. 

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

So with this kit, and a cartridge tool of some sort I can do the complete fork cartridge swap?

Yes, that should be all you need.