V Strom Handguards

I have seen at least one thread where a V-strom handguard install was discussed, but the extent of that discussion was that it was easy with minor modifications.

Anyone have more specific details as to what those minor modifications are?  And, for those that have them, do you like them on the Tracer?

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, Imenraged said:

I have seen at least one thread where a V-strom handguard install was discussed, but the extent of that discussion was that it was easy with minor modifications.

Anyone have more specific details as to what those minor modifications are?  And, for those that have them, do you like them on the Tracer?

I have them and LOVE them.  One thing to note, they are just a wind deflector, they are not the type with a metal backbone for offroad protection.

The only 'modifications' worth noting is minor trimming the shape with a Dremel and sandpaper to fit your specific levers/controls.

image.thumb.png.53550a2c04ec2c2561d326915a520131.png

image.thumb.png.736bd233168f1fd69c41834cf32f6469.png

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Betoney, 

I'm pretty sure I can figure out how they attach by your bar ends, BUT, how did you attach them to the brackets for the original handguards?  Or didn't you.  Are they zip tied, some other configuration?

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I have them and LOVE them.  One thing to note, they are just a wind deflector, they are not the type with a metal backbone for offroad protection.

The only 'modifications' worth noting is minor trimming the shape with a Dremel and sandpaper to fit your specific levers/controls.

image.thumb.png.53550a2c04ec2c2561d326915a520131.png

image.thumb.png.736bd233168f1fd69c41834cf32f6469.png

Edited by Imenraged
grammar

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Imenraged said:

So, I can figure out how they attach by your bar ends, BUT, how did you attach them to the brackets for the original handguards?  Or didn't you.  Are they zip tied, some other configuration?

I took the factory handguards off right after purchase and didn't use any of the original hardware.  I use FZ1 bar end weights threaded into Rizoma bars, the other end of the hand guard attaches with the lever pivot bolt on each side.  If you look close you can see the bolt on the throttle side in each photo.

• Supporting Member

haha too funny, I installed BarkBusters on my V-Strom DL1000 (for sale), and still have the OEM handguards...guess I know what to do with them now...

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, knyte said:

haha too funny, I installed BarkBusters on my V-Strom DL1000 (for sale), and still have the OEM handguards...guess I know what to do with them now...

Unlike the factory FJ/Tracer hand guards, these are closer to your hands and ACTUALLY block wind.👍

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I took the factory handguards off right after purchase and didn't use any of the original hardware.  I use FZ1 bar end weights threaded into Rizoma bars, the other end of the hand guard attaches with the lever pivot bolt on each side.  If you look close you can see the bolt on the throttle side in each photo.

Perfect, thank you.  

+1 vote for a good pair of hand guards.

Come winter, I'll be installing the set of Barkbusters that I had on my previous FJR.  

I'll never take the GT off-road (does anyone?), so the OEM guards are pretty much useless to me.  Cheers.

I like the look of the Tracer guards, but they are essentially useless for blocking anything.  The minute I saw how large the V-Strom guards are on the Tracer, I knew I had to have them, but could not find any pics as to how they are actually attached to a Tracer.  Thanks to Betoney, I now know how.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Imenraged said:

Follow up question.  Does anyone know if certain years V-Strom handguards work better than other years??

I can't say for sure, I think they have used the same design for many years.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

these are closer to your hands and ACTUALLY block wind

Yeah, loved the 'Strom for that.  I've ridden on some pretty cold days but my hands were always fine.

Looks like a good hack!  Thanks for the tips

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

I bought these a few years back... and chickened out on the surgery to adapt them to my setup. Maybe it was the wrong model year... they looked nice though. Sold them to a lucky stromtrooper. 😏

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif