Do you get two or three keys?

PowerMalc

On 9/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, yamtracergaz said:

The red key is for re-programming any new keys if you lose one or if you bend it in a pannier or if your existing black key plays up you can re program them,if you have not got the red key over here in the uk,the only way to sort it is to buy a new ECU  that comes with 3 coded keys and these are £1500,so you just don't buy one over here without a red key.

Not only ECU but ignition, fuel cap, seat lock, it can get very expensive.

Here the first thing they ask when you sell a bike is "do you have the red key?"

1 hour ago, Cornersruns said:

WOW, I am surprised.  I thought that immobilisers were fitted as standard worldwide.  Is it a USA legislation thing?

As I recall, the first automobile fitted with a “smart key” in the US was also at that time the most stolen model.

My guess that it was indeed market-driven by the insurance underwriters and car-stealing “scrotes”.

Think there are a few bikes in the US (Kawi Concours maybe) with smart keys.

But they aren’t mandatory one way or the other that I am aware of.

The Grand Marquis’s I’ve owned if you had the external keypad fitted to the drivers door, and had two unique keys, you could program the car to accept new ones without needing any external assistance/“red” key...

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, thewrenchbender said:

had two unique keys, you could program the car to accept new ones without needing any external assistance/“red” key...

Honda have the same system, you get 2 keys and can program a new key using either of them.

I suppose that having a seperate programming key has a small advantage that if the bike is stolen with one key you can't program new ones.  Whereas with the Honda, and similar systems, with one key you can add more.  From memory the Honda HISS system allows 4 keys in total to be programed.