Do you get two or three keys?

PowerMalc

I am currently looking to get a nearly new Tracer GT which is 3 months old.

When ever I see adverts for S/H tracers most mention they have one red key and two black ones, this also ties in with the handbook.

This bike I am thinking of only has two black keys, the dealer says its correct and that Yamaha have changed and that new bikes only come with two black keys now.

Can anyione  who has recently taken delivery of a new Tracer confirm this?

I do not want to buy the bike only to find out in the future that I need the red key for re-registering a black only to find they are unobtainable

Edited by PowerMalc

I can't say for sure but my other yamaha i bought new 3 months ago and that has a red key,so i think your dealer is pulling a fast one and maybe lost the red key,i would find out for sure because a new ECU is £1500 and i personally wouldn't buy it if it is meant to have one and it's missing.

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

North America only gets two black keys, EU gets the red and two blacks.

Exactly.  Not sure where you live, @PowerMalc, but if you’re in the EU it should definitely have three keys.  Here in the US, it’s only the two black ones.  

I'm in the UK and bought my Tracer 900 GT new a few weeks ago. I confirm that it comes with three keys, the red and two black ones.

I don't know where you are based but if anywhere near High Wycombe in Bucks, there's an excellent Yamaha dealer there, Powerbiking.

http://www.powerbiking.co.uk/

Edited by Anon E Mouse
  • Thumbsup 1

The red key is for re-programming any new keys if you lose one or if you bend it in a pannier or if your existing black key plays up you can re program them,if you have not got the red key over here in the uk,the only way to sort it is to buy a new ECU  that comes with 3 coded keys and these are £1500,so you just don't buy one over here without a red key.

• Thumbsup 1

Then your Tracer gt in Europe must be different than ours in USA. My key does not appear to have any electronics in it. I know what you are referring to in loosing all connection to ECU. If I were to lose all keys and the Fob for my Kawasaki Concours it would mean I have to buy a new ECU.

I'm sure I've seen that the USA keys have a smaller head than the european ones.  Maybe that is the difference the European model has an immobiliser with transponder in the key, do the USA models have no immobiliser?  That would explain why the USA does not get the red programming key.

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Cornersruns said:

the European model has an immobiliser with transponder in the key, do the USA models have no immobiliser?

Correct, USA models do NOT have an immobilizer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***