Keep Losing license plate bolt

maximNikenGT

After only my second ride on my Niken GT come to find out that I lost another left hand side license plate bolt. Two rides, two different bolts vibrating off and getting lost. The real risk being that I may lose my license plate at this rate. First bolt that I lost was a wingnut with reflector style. Second one was a security torx screw with bolt. What are folks doing to make sure your license plate bolts are staying on?

image.jpg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

So far - lock washers are working for me.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / GIVI DS2122S windscreen / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

After losing a couple of those reflectors myself, I ended up using flat head carriage bolts, with nylon lock nuts from the backside of the plate.   I have the plate bolted directly to the plastic fender, so have a washer between the lock nut and the plastic to spread the force out.   15K+ miles with this setup, and no issues.

I found the bolts and nuts in my box of random hardware, so not sure of the source or size.   The square portion under the head of the carriage bolt fit perfectly into the hole on the license plate, and keeps everything tight & aligned.  

• Thumbsup 2

Use some loctice lock threads

I didn’t have nylon lock nuts on hand, just regular nuts, with some either blue or red loctite I had no issues on my 2 bikes

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

After my first multi day tour (different bike) and losing a bunch of bolts for my fairings, half the tools in my kit are loc-tite

Gotta ask - what kind of bike and what year?

2019 Niken GT

1 hour ago, maximNikenGT said:

Gotta ask - what kind of bike and what year?

That was a 2013 Honda CB500X. Loved that little bike, put 25k miles on it in the 9 months I had it before upgrading. Not shaky by any means, but day two into a six day trip I noticed my fairings where more flexible than normal. 😂

6649C0AA-163D-47C5-91BB-A51DA6BD844A.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, angrygirafe said:

After my first multi day tour (different bike) and losing a bunch of bolts for my fairings, half the tools in my kit are loc-tite

Got my Loctite and Nylock bolts. No way in hell I'm losing a fourth set of bolts. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT