Fuel tank, metal?

PowerMalc

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

magnetic bags always try and not scratch putting on or taking off

The Oxford tank bag with magnets I had on my Fazer was used for over 10 years without leaving a mark on the tank, as long as I kept the bike and the bag clean there were no issues.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the comments.

I am only looking for a very small bag, one to four litres, that I can just grab by a handle and take with me into a cafe or shop etc.

I have been looking at an Oxford M2R 2 litre magnetic mini bag.

All other stuff I would use the fitted panniers

• 1 year later...

So after a year of hard use the zipper on my Givi ST307 tank bag is having trouble at one corner.  I've traveled a lot with this bag - like 15,000 miles and it has done well.  At every gas stop when traveling will open the tank bag and put GoPro and Garmin in it when going inside for bathroom.  I usually put it over my shoulder using the safety strap as a shoulder strap.  So has seen lots of use and is usually overloaded.  Have my iPad, Sony a6000 camera, essential supplies, GoPro batteries, spare iPhone (thats another story), etc.  I happy with it, only real complaint is the zipper could have lasted better and sometimes the release lever takes a bit more pressure than I would like.  It has never given a hint of falling off and is a great bag - say 4.5 stars.

Looking at the the Givi ST603B tank bag and wondering if anyone has it and how it compares to the 307?  Looks to be 3" taller and a half an inch shorter and a half an inch wider.  It does five two compartments which would be nice.  LOL I've forgotten to zip mine up a time or two and its disconcerting looking down and seeing the top lifting up but haven't lost anything.  

On my CBR600RR i cut the saftety strap off and never used it.  When I got my BMW I first used the old magnetic bag off of my ZX6R with magnets taped to the backside of the fake tank plastics.  Unfortunately they had the bad habit of coming untaped!  One time was riding on a 2 lane road with a pretty good crosswind and while passing a car and a pickup pulling a trailer the bag blew loose.  As it was going to the side at I moved my elbows down and towards the bag and caught it getting it somewhat on the tank.  Completed my pass and then tried to get it in better position until I was able to pull over and work with it.   Two things, I kept my primary focus on riding and completing my pass and since I was leaned forward a little bit more than normal was able to pretty much trap the bag between my elbows, chest and tank!  Due to my sport bike background I tend to lean forward and bend my elbows to get closer to the bike and shift my weight forward.  Always focus on riding and look where you want to go - easy to say and sometimes hard to do.  I had actually thought "what would I do if the bag came off" and using my elbows was what I thought.  Already had the plan in mind when it actually occurred.

I've got lots of miles with magnetic tank bags and never had a problem - as long as the tanks are metal LOL!

Edited by PhotoAl