Fuel tank, metal?

PowerMalc

I have not got my new Tracer yet, should be by the end of the week.

I was just about to get a magnetic tank bag and suddenly had the  thought,

is the tank metal so magnets would attach?

If yes are there any problems in attaching a tank  bag

It is metal but the front part is covered by plastic.  It's possible you could get a smallish tank bag to work.  Problem is the front magnets either won't contact the tank or they will be further back than I would be comfortable with.  LOL had a magnetic bag on my BMW secured with disk drive magnets taped to the bottom of the plastic "tank cover" one of them fell off and the bag was not perfectly positioned and as a result blew off when I was passing a truck pulling a trailer on a two lane road on a windy day!  Fortunately I caught it with my forearm without letting go of the bars.  

My recomendation is a tank bag that mounts on a ring on the gas tank.  Easy on and off and stay secure.  Have a Givi XS307 which is not the cheapest but a good bag.  It is the third one I've had.  Used one on my CBR600RR on a daily basis for 4 years.  Actually wore it out and bought a new one then traded bikes!  Wish I had kept it but wound up going to a magnetic bag on my ZX6R 636.  

• Thumbsup 4

I think it will really depend on the shape and size of the bag. I used an Oxford magnetic map case on my summer tour and all four magnets made firm contact with the metal area of the tank. But I wouldn't commit my funds on an expensive bag without checking the fit.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have the Oxford Q4R quick release tank bag with the tank adaptor and my total cost was just over a hundred bucks on sale. It is the smallest bag they have and it fits the GT perfectly and has not leaked in hard rain. I can use it on all my bikes that have a tank rings and no scrub marks on the tank from rubbing. I will admit to leaving it on top of the gas pump more than once🤪.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

I used the Cortech magnetic tank bag for years. Served me well. 

The SW-Motech bags and mounting system is worth the money.  YMMV 

20201013_200405.jpg

20201013_200421.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I had an Oxford tank bag with the magnetic mounts that I used on my Fazer and the first time I tried it on the Tracer I could see this isn't happening.

Now I have the Givi Tanklock bag although I hardly use it. The top box is more practical for day trips.

1395393424_GiviTanklock.thumb.jpg.51615b2aa7c49b5a76304fc3e3a3edeb.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Mag tank bag will work BUT my large mag bag would have fallen off long ago if it didn't have a safety strap at the base of the bars. The front of the bag catches air without the strap. 

Old Firstgear big tank bag

My next bag will be a ring lock, but the one I have is just in too good shape to get rid of. 

@fddriver2 - is that the Engage or a different one?

Yea, don't have a top box, have thought about one just for a place to store helmet.  On long trips have everything in side cases, waterproof duffle bag and a tank bag.  Seems like every time I get a new bike I get a new tank bag.  FZ6, metal tank Coretech magnetic bag, CBR600RR plastic tank cover Givi XS307 (gave it away!), ZX6R 636 metal tank with Cortech magnetic bag, BMW F800GT plastic cover over fake tank with BMW tank bag, Tracer GT Metal and plastic Givi XS307!  Givi is easy on and off, magnetic bags always try and not scratch putting on or taking off.  Biggest problem Ive had with Givi on the CBR is overloading the bag and causing it to sag and rub the paint off on 2 spots.  Now I know - keep an eye on that and put tape to protect paint.  I do a lot of long trips and invariably run into rain.  Nothing like rain to get a dusty bike really nasty particularly if in areas with lots of dirt around.  Riding from Moab Utah to Wyoming in the rain got my bike absolutely filthy.  Actually washed s much accumulated dirt off the wheels it looked like mud.  A magnetic tank bag would have been hard to keep the tank clean enough to keep from getting scratches from dirt under the magnets.  I always keep my valuable stuff in the tank bag and take it with me when stopping so bag goes on and off a lot.  BMW was the most difficult as it had straps with 4 clips had to undo and refasten every time.  Did pretty well about being waterproof until the last trip when it leaked a bit.  Nice to not fool with a cover that always looks like it is going to fly off.

Had to put a pic of my GT loaded up wo a tank bag.  Used a 12" tool bag from WalMart as a temporary until I got home - it wound up strapped on top of the duffle bag.

IMG_1846.jpg