KERPLUNK into 1st gear?

On 10/17/2020 at 7:51 PM, DaStray said:

New 900 GT and I have a question about the gearbox.

Is it normal to go KERPLUNK into 1st gear? It`s quite a jolt when I drop into 1st from neutral. All other gears "snick" into place but from neutral to 1st is quite a jolt. Clutch freeplay is according to the manual and the chain is adjusted correctly.

Is this normal for the bike or is it cause for concern? The bike doesn`t lurch forward and it doesn`t do it when I shift from 2nd to 1st.

This is my first bike in a long time and hopefully this is normal.

Any consensus here?

Mine was very smooth when new but not anymore ,

On 6/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, DavidS said:

Sometimes my bike clunks when going into first gear, sometimes it doesn't! 

If it bothers you, shift into first gear before starting the bike, then hold the clutch in and start the bike and take off.

I just ignore the sound, my bike is 3 years old, and it doesn't seem to be hurting anything 

that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless you just ride freeway 

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 1:11 PM, BBB said:

You may find you have to adjust the gear shift linkage, probably by shortening it slightly.

Adjusting that linkage does nothing but adjust the lever position ,up or down depending on where you like it on your foot,,it ha no effect on actual shifting ,,the only way to adjust the actual throw would be to pull it off the spline shaft but I dont recommend that 

• Premium Member

I started on the street in 1974. I don't recall ever having a bike that didn't bang into 1st. Some were a bit louder than others. But still.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

^ same here. I’ve never owned a bike that didn’t clunk into first. 
Everything from old 70’s bikes to modern. It’s the result of the wet multi plate clutch design. 
There was a bloke on the 1050 Sprint group who said he never ever goes into neutral once he’s riding because he didn’t want to damage the gearbox. 
Not sure which alternative universe he grew up in. 

• Thumbsup 1

Yep.  Sometimes a brand new bike will be quieter into first, but that goes away pretty quickly.  Every bike I've ever owned or ridden has been a little klunky into first at any rate. 

4 hours ago, OZVFR said:

There was a bloke on the 1050 Sprint group who said he never ever goes into neutral once he’s riding because he didn’t want to damage the gearbox. 

Wat?  

Man, people have the weirdest utterly unfounded beliefs.  I used to think the internet would fix that, as everyone has access to much better information, but nope.  

• Thumbsup 4