KERPLUNK into 1st gear?

9 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Mine sure doesn't, sometimes its pure hell to shift into 3rd or 4th, totally confusing me as I have never owned a bike that's done this. Short shift and or at lows revs and it's fine, but when I roll that throttle on harder from 2nd trying to shift into 3rd......NOTHING/NADA have to slam my boot up hard for it to engage. :( 

That is strange... I think it's worth discussing, however, we should start another thread to do so.

'15 FJ09

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Mine sure doesn't, sometimes its pure hell to shift into 3rd or 4th, totally confusing me as I have never owned a bike that's done this. Short shift and or at lows revs and it's fine, but when I roll that throttle on harder from 2nd trying to shift into 3rd......NOTHING/NADA have to slam my boot up hard for it to engage. :( 

You're still under warranty. get it to the dealer before the weather stops you. 

26 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

You're still under warranty. get it to the dealer before the weather stops you. 

Yeah I could do that and likely will, thinking might adjust the linkage up a tad and see what happens first.

• Thumbsup 2

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, petshark said:

Just wondering if this is resolved?

Yup shifts like butter now, adjusted the linkage up slightly and a fine tune of the clutch cable free play.......guess I should've updated earlier. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Yup shifts like butter now, adjusted the linkage up slightly and a fine tune of the clutch cable free play.......guess I should've updated earlier. :) 

Glad to hear it! So I guess the clutch wasn't fully disengaging.

I've found the 1st gear kerplunk to be much less pronounced over time/miles, but also after every oil change. And once you get going, the gears almost slip themselves in - it's that smooth. I'm enjoying my FJ quite a lot :)

• Thumbsup 2

I have to chime in to say my Tracer is by far the smoothest shifting bike I've ever had. Slipper and Gripper clutch must help. It's just crazy easy to shift. I swear I think about it and it happens magically. I cannot discern any movement of my hands or feet. Just the slightest flick...

It does matter that you have fresh oil, but that's understood. I echo those who say on this bike, you can ignore all sorts of sounds. It's just a tank.

Not so on my former Aprilia where I had to have a stethoscope to the thing to foretell major damage that was inevitable anyway. 

• Thumbsup 2

I have 9 bikes of different manufactures and all of them have these issues with 'clunks' and shifting to a degree (some worse than others).  Sometimes: upshifting to 2nd at a stop prior to engaging 1st gear, eases the situation. 

• 1 year later...

Every bike I've ever owned kerplunked into first to some degree, except a BMW 1200rt loaner, kept trying to get the damn thing in 1st gear before I realised it was in gear just no noise:))

• Premium Member

Sometimes my bike clunks when going into first gear, sometimes it doesn't! 

If it bothers you, shift into first gear before starting the bike, then hold the clutch in and start the bike and take off.

I just ignore the sound, my bike is 3 years old, and it doesn't seem to be hurting anything