• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tracer 900GT as an ADV bike? Yep.

RichNDC

Avon Trailrider. My options for off road tires were not many, but they did the trick. That said, my partner in crime had a Tiger 900 with real off road tires and fared better in deeper dirt, very rocky roads, sandy spots. I am no expert rider, far from it. However, I made it and didnt dropt he bike. Plan on doing more, but the real technical BDRs would likely tear up my suspension at some point, or I drop the bike which has no crash bars or skid plate and I would be very sad. I ride plain old gravel roads frequently on weekend rides. Northern Virginia has many of them. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Great vid; congrats!  That's my kind of silliness

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, RichNDC said:

Avon Trailrider.

What's your take on them?  I realize they're a road bias, but interested in hearing your thoughts, as I may be doing a bit more off-roading as time progresses...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Great video and gives me confidence about tackling some gravel roads out west.  Been thinking about the Scorpion 2s.  How do they compare to the Avon Trailrider?  Seems like in Nebraska, Wyoming and the Dakotas county roads are all gravel but well maintained.  

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would say I love the Avons. Not gonna handle the mud or deep sand, but I am not anywhere near an expert rider. Some of the BDR roads, I was slipping and sliding all over, but kept her steady and luckily did not drop the bike once. My amigo with more knobby tires had a much easier time. 

• Thanks 1

Good to hear - have very little off road experience but want to do more gravel roads on my next trip to the west (June hopefully).  It is encouraging to hear some say "I'm not an expert rider".  Gives the rest of us the confidence that yes we too could do something like that.