Oregon - 5th Annual Last Ride of the Year (2020 Edition)

keithu

• Premium Member

I don't think it's too early to start planning this. As some of you know I like to take a traditional "Last Ride of the Year" every December 31. This isn't a group ride, per se, but rather a RTE (Ride to Eat) call where we converge on a scenic location to eat food, kick tires, admire farkles, and swap lies. 

This will be the fifth time I've called this ride. This year we'll need to consider how best to do this in the Age of 'Rona. I'm confident that regardless of what's going on we should be able to have some sort of safe, socially-distanced meet up. In 2016-2018 we met at a little diner in Oceanside, on Cape Meares just west of Tillamook. Last year we met at Mo's in Florence, on the central Oregon coast. I was concerned that the southerly location would reduce our numbers, being so far from Portland. And I was right, it was just me and one other forum member. 

First question: Who's interested?

Second question: Where should we meet? Let me suggest three options, though I'm open to other ideas:

1. Oceanside: Where we went before; it's a beautiful destination, but getting there could be sketchy if temps in the Coast Range are low. The Blue Agate Cafe is currently open for take-out only. 
  2. Newport: A longer ride for many, but it should be easy to find a gathering spot. The Rogue Brewery has a huge parking lot in a nice location, and people can go inside for food and beer if they desire. Or just eat a picnic in the parking lot. 
  3. Newberg: See See Motor Coffee Company has a coffee shop in Newberg now. Newberg isn't as scenic as the coast, but maybe this would be an easier ride for people in the Portland area. Choose your own route there and back. 

Thoughts? 

Yo Keithu, Sorry for the late response. I am a definite definite and all three sound good to me. Given what is going on we likely will be bag lunching it, so maybe a place with some sort of shelter --- See See in Newberg at least has tables with umbrellas, and who knows, they may be open by then? Or, if the umbrellas will be open if they are closed? 

Ocean

side has historical significance, but I can't remember any shelter except the public rest rooms.

Given the likelihood of sketchy weather, either Oceanside or Newberg are easiest for me, but I am game for whatever becomes consensus.

Thanks for continuing the tradition.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Obviously this is all dependent on whether our Dear Leader decrees that people may gather in public on Dec 31. 

Oceanside is a nice destination but it requires crossing the coast range, which always introduces risk that time of year. I actually had to ride through snow on the way home from Oceanside in 2016, which was unpleasant. It's a nicer destination but I think more people are likely to show up in Newberg. 

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, daboo said:

You're allowed to have up to 30 people at a funeral.  So have a funeral procession.  The dearly departed can be a poor cow in a hamburger that you will all celebrate their passing.

Chris

Good idea, I'll start drafting the eulogy.

"Dearly beloved... we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life." 

• Haha 1

Ahh, Newberg, and a funeral for the outgoing year... Not a bad idea to see the old year out and celebrate the new one coming along. As I get older I try to ignore anniversaries of any kind that remind of my advancing years--- but they seem to happen anyway, so why not enjoy them with like minded nut cases that ignore terrible weather in aid of some motorcycle seat time, and the possibility of some bench racing, gawking at other bikes, and likely this year, a gourmet bag lunch.

I'm in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Bump.

We're officially On for this Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 12:00 noon. Location:

See See Newberg

101 East 1st St.

Newberg, OR 97124

The weather forecast says there's a 50% chance of rain, but temps will be in the mid to upper 40s so there's no chance of ice. Put on your rain gear and meet up with some forum members to send this godforsaken year off in style.

Great idea! Even this Puget Sound rider is considering it, if you will allow it. I'm pondering taking that day off work anyway. It would be fun to see a few folks and have an excuse for a longer ride. May be a same day decision. In any case, be safe and enjoy the end of 2020. Personally I'm one who sees the solstice as the new year, cuz astronomically speaking...but go along with the 1/1 thing for grins. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

This thread takes me back to a daytrip to Tillamook with ice cream, when I lived in Portland. Fun  times on the beautiful Oregon coast beaches. Leave only foot-prints, or in this case tire tracks.   🙂

• Thumbsup 1

OK, see you there... Come on you hearty Northwestern riders, around here if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride! That will be the very last chance you have to ride in 2020, don't miss the chance.

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, keithu said:

Hmm, I dunno. What part of Puget Sound? 😁

Ha! Well I got the day off work and it's looking good to make it. As for the Salish Sea, I'm from the wet portion😅 For these purposes though I may invoke having lived in Portland my son being born there. My wife did her MS at OSU and we really enjoyed Corvallis, but let's not get into ducks and beavers. It's where you do your undergraduate, if you do, that your loyalty lies. 

With my new Aerostitch heated vest having just arrived, I'm happy to go on long winter trips. 

48 minutes ago, huck said:

OK, see you there... Come on you hearty Northwestern riders, around here if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride! That will be the very last chance you have to ride in 2020, don't miss the chance.

So true! I think we are rather unique in the whole nation because it's damn wet and cool, but not often icy, so we can ride year round. I'll say again the Bainbridge/Seattle core ferry group is collectively the most hardy, as those bastards ride every day all winter because the alternative is hell on earth. I read posts about folks in other parts of the country putting their bikes away for the winter and I cringe. Or folks not riding when it rains, and I chuckle. I mean, sure, I get that it's nicer to ride when it is sunny and 72, but around these parts, riding in the rain is just as normal as getting dressed in the morning. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1