Lousy conditions experience

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

C8DC810A-A4C7-4472-9286-338AB23EE70F.thumb.jpeg.e9f7ec8bc8bad4da3c1bf1dad84aab96.jpegSo went on  two recent rides. One with my lady to Kershaw, South Carolina, the other to Uwharrie National Park in NC. Kershaw was my first time riding the Niken GT on a very sandy access road, while Uwharrie was my first time riding in the rain on the Niken GT. Some thoughts :

I was two up riding when we hit the dirt access road to Campbridge waterfall in Kershaw, SC. While the front end steering was very loose because of the sand I was able to get through about a quarter mile of sand more comfortably than I would ever attempt on a normal two wheeled street bike. Yes the bike wandered but my confidence level was much higher going through the sand - especially since my significant other watches The Long Way Round and has seen how often Ewan and Charlie drop their bikes in sand. She actually got a taste of this uncomfortable feeling on sand for the first time on the Niken GT and a new appreciation for the nervousness that kicks in when trying to ride in sand. 

While riding to Uwharrie National Park in full on stinging rain (Aerostich suit on but could feel the rain pelting) the Niken GT was solid. My SW Motech Kobra handguards did well in the rain and my hands were nowhere near as soaked as when I've ridden bikes unguarded. Water does fly off the trailing edge of the taller sunscreen and seems to perfectly hit my helmet screen but it was fine since the air pocket kept my non Zumo (not waterproof) Garmin GPS from getting soaked in the rain. My Aerostich rain gloves have a thumb squeegee that comes in super handy during wet rides. The only oddity was that the plastic covers on the top cowling above the front suspension  did seem to pool a little bit of water under down pour conditions. Not a huge deal but a small detail. Givi monokey V47 top case did great and was completely dry despite all the rain. 

Also during my ride I missed an exit and had to do a uturn when the bike did something weird I hadn't seen before. The shift indicator actually went blank before the Uturn. Rest of the instrument panel was working fine (speedometer and tachometer). After I completed the uturn and tried to downshift to get a gear to display, the bike engine cut out. Luckily I had the clutch in when I did this so I was able to pull over safely and restart the bike. Has anyone rider encountered this scenario on their Yamaha?

1DFC3E8E-7D00-4E7C-89D5-E3F7ABDC7CF7.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Has anyone rider encountered this scenario on their Yamaha?

No, I have never lost the gear indicator or had the motor cut out. 

One suggestion, I always have electrical parts cleaner spray and dielectric grease in my tool bench.  If you are ever working under the tank or with the side panels off, remove the accessible connectors, spray them down and coat them with dielectric grease.  I also opened the fuse panel and lightly coated grease on each fuse. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
On 11/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, betoney said:

No, I have never lost the gear indicator or had the motor cut out. 

One suggestion, I always have electrical parts cleaner spray and dielectric grease in my tool bench.  If you are ever working under the tank or with the side panels off, remove the accessible connectors, spray them down and coat them with dielectric grease.  I also opened the fuse panel and lightly coated grease on each fuse. 

Dielectric grease on order from Amazon. Good tip!

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."