Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Salish900

Olympia to San Juan Island-A start

Recommended Posts

Arrived on San Juan Island after a 150 mile ride this morning from Olympia to Anacortes. Cool and wet, but no rain. Temps 44-47F. Though my new Aerostitch heated vest is yet to arrive, I was warm. It’s just slab up to Mt Vernon, but there are scenic spots. 
 

You do not need a reservation to get on the ferry! You are told to go straight to the front of the line. I’ve done this many times. 
 

Over the next few days I will do a bunch of riding around the island to my favorite spots. We used to live on the island so it is well known. 
 

What a delight to let the miles flow under the wheels! Bald eagles all around. Bike so comfortable! The views today on San Juan were typical: breathtaking. 

8D9475D1-9403-406B-9A3A-B4D4BBA77D9B.jpeg

980636F1-DC41-4488-81E4-EE8B732B3A23.jpeg

  • Thumbsup 6
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky...

  • Thumbsup 1

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

let us know how you like that Aerostitch heated vest. are you going to wear it under a jacket? 

I've had one for years and loved it. It just finally gave up the ghost. So this is a replacement vest. I find it just takes all the edge off of any cold. Here in the PNW, as you may know, it is just damp, wet and cool much of the year. It's a 40 degrees and wet that just cuts right through you. So I wear the vest, with the attached sleeves, over a long sleeve long underwear top, and then put my riding jacket on top. Three layers. With that, I am warm and cozy, so long as I have my neck gaiter! 

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nhchris said:

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky...

Oh, that is lovely and matches my spirit. The sea has always been my home. The Salish Sea is my deepest home. Along these shores and among these islands, across these seas and through these passes, are the keys to my deepest bliss. I'm about to get on my bike and head out for a spin, and I'll be smiling the whole time! We are a sailing family as well, and boating is a major way we enjoy our time. It's when I am stuck on land that the motorcycle becomes vital...

Here is one of my favorites on the sea

IMG_2334.jpeg

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

The sea has always been my home. The Salish Sea is my deepest home. Along these shores and among these islands, across these seas and through these passes, are the keys to my deepest bliss.  We are a sailing family as well, and boating is a major way we enjoy our time.

I'm not a recreational sailor but spent a large portion of my early adulthood at sea on Aircraft Carriers.  Was fortunate to have circumnavigated the globe a few times and in addition to crossing the North Atlantic, North Pacific and Indian Oceans many times, I have been through the Straights of Gibraltar, Suez Canal, Bab al-Mandab Straight, Straight of Hormuz, Straight of Malacca, Singapore Straight, Kowloon Bay, Negishi Bay, Cook Inlet and of course the Straight of Juan De Fuca/Salish Sea. 

I would have liked to have traveled the Southern Capes and the Panama Canal as well.

Once you get a taste for the ocean or life at sea, it never leaves you, it can be incredibly calming, awe inspiring and also truly terrifying.  Very fortunate to have lived on the Atlantic Coast, Gulf Coast and most of my life on the Pacific Coast. 👍

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, daboo said:

ACtC-3cpindhBYvqTPO3kI7Rne-n0Nq2WaueCtG1tIBvbe11XxH-Mt7aTi_SSwBXJ6f4YjVwpLW1HCcEjF54diQWZLVwSz6dfJ1ZC_wzKVNnJxPWmCL17EU9ej4DPfWG5xAhNl7QNdh17IwibialFvy5D06LTQ=w1670-h939-no?authuser=0

We are truly blessed to live in such a place aren't we?  ... and only a short ride away from pristine mountains. 👍


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I'm not a recreational sailor but spent a large portion of my early adulthood at sea on Aircraft Carriers.  Was fortunate to have circumnavigated the globe a few times and in addition to crossing the North Atlantic, North Pacific and Indian Oceans many times, I have been through the Straights of Gibraltar, Suez Canal, Bab al-Mandab Straight, Straight of Hormuz, Straight of Malacca, Singapore Straight, Kowloon Bay, Negishi Bay, Cook Inlet and of course the Straight of Juan De Fuca/Salish Sea. 

I would have liked to have traveled the Southern Capes and the Panama Canal as well.

Once you get a taste for the ocean or life at sea, it never leaves you, it can be incredibly calming, awe inspiring and also truly terrifying.  Very fortunate to have lived on the Atlantic Coast, Gulf Coast and most of my life on the Pacific Coast. 👍

Thank you for your service and what a life experience you had. I will never see all you saw, and wish I could!

I grew up near the ocean but didn't start sailing until we had kids. Couldn't backpack or sea kayak very well with babies, and so sailing. We now use cruising the Salish Sea as the organizing principle of our lives. Every month, every year, go, go, go! I started a blog many years ago to document my struggles at fixing stuff, and for family. It is now the main website for information on the boat we have. Totally non-commercialized I will add. I've always felt deeply grateful for the way strangers on the internet have helped me afford to fix things myself. Now here at Tracer 900. My blog is returning the favor. 

A deep sadness for us is that Canada closed the border, and this was the first summer we didn't spend time up in Desolation Sound in many years. Can't fault them, but what a loss. 

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daboo said:

ACtC-3cpindhBYvqTPO3kI7Rne-n0Nq2WaueCtG1tIBvbe11XxH-Mt7aTi_SSwBXJ6f4YjVwpLW1HCcEjF54diQWZLVwSz6dfJ1ZC_wzKVNnJxPWmCL17EU9ej4DPfWG5xAhNl7QNdh17IwibialFvy5D06LTQ=w1670-h939-no?authuser=0

Where exactly is this place? It is so reminiscent of so many places here. It looks like the West Side of San Juan, looking toward the Olympics? The size of gravel on the beach indicates it is a high energy beach, facing south or west. Have any of the rest of you gone around Vancouver Island? There is a beach at the northern tip, facing north, that has watermelon size boulders tossed all the way up the beach really high, from the ferocity of the storms that lash that coastline. Terrifying and wonderful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good to read posts like this. My wife is from Steilacoom and her parents and sibs are scattered from there up to Bellingham. We make the requisite family visits, always in summer, and always by car. When we retire she wants to go settle "back home."  Having lived the bulk of my life in sunny, dry, and gorgeous NorCal, the thought of living in the PNW kind of scares me. It gives me hope to read fellow riders' adventures in the area, just in case we actually do end up there. 

  • Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maximo said:

Having lived the bulk of my life in sunny, dry, and gorgeous NorCal, the thought of living in the PNW kind of scares me. It gives me hope to read fellow riders' adventures in the area, just in case we actually do end up there. 

It does take a tolerance for adverse weather conditions and is absolutely NOT for everyone.  At times the seemingly unending wet season does get to you but when the weather breaks and the sun comes out, it is unlike any other place I have ever been.  Late Spring, Summer and early Fall are absolutely breathtaking as you have seen by all of the photos posted here.

  • Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, betoney said:

We are truly blessed to live in such a place aren't we?  ... and only a short ride away from pristine mountains. 👍

Ok, don’t push your luck here, kiddo.  We get it:  You live in paradise.   🤠

Let’s talk in mid-February...  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, texscottyd said:

Ok, don’t push your luck here, kiddo.  We get it:  You live in paradise.   🤠

Let’s talk in mid-February...  

😄 No argument from me, there are times when the weather ABSOLUTELY SUCKS and I wish I was in California or Arizona, but once it clears... 🌈🌞👍

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×