• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Front brake light switch recall, 900GT

On 8/24/2021 at 4:14 PM, DeltaHotel said:

I drug my feet a bit on the recall for my Tracer GT. I did inquire with the dealer local to me (where I purchased the bike), but they had a six week backlog (just to do the service, not to get the part), and I was planning to relocate at about that time so just decided to wait.  Then after moving, the bike was working fine, I didn't know of any reputable dealers in my (new) area, so I procrastinated. Then it failed :(.  The brake light would intermittently stay on (mostly it was on) and the cruise control failed. I could still hear the faint audible clicks and of course there is nothing to service on this switch (without disassembly), so I reached out to the Yamaha dealer nearest me.  Sadly, they were less than cooperative. They insisted I bring the bike to them (45 min ride each way, with no brake lights) before they would even order the part, and refused to check on the time to source the part, or even how quickly they'd service it once sourced.  I had hoped I could offer my VIN, they'd order the part, and then we could just schedule the service.  So I just ordered the switch from Partzilla ($67) and installed myself.  I hate to spend my own money for a factory recall, but in this case, it was worth it to spend this much and get it done without the hassles and time dealing with my local dealer.

I took my time to ensure it was all done just like the factory install. And just an FYI, none of those ties or plastic clamps need to be cut.  All of them are designed so that you can press a tab where the teeth engage to release them. For that center (wide) tie, it is indeed a bit difficult to reach, but certainly not impossible (small right-angle pic works well).  Same for all the others.  If you take your time, you can remove them without cutting and re-use. 

Any chance you have quick access to the part #?