Front brake light switch recall, 900GT

I got two! Did I win a prize?! One was for my (sold) previous FJR1300 and one for my 2020 Tracer. Actually had my original dealer from 6 years ago call me to tell me about it before the letter(s) arrived.

Part number for the front switch/leadset on the 19-20 Tracer is: B1J-83980-00-00

However the odd part is this doesn't cross reference to the other models included in the recall, although this may be as simple as different wire harness lengths but same switch.

• Thumbsup 1

16 minutes ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I received my recall letter yesterday (Illinois). My question is: Has any actually experience a issue with the switch? I have roughly 14k miles and I don't ever remember the brake light not turning on or failing. 

My Tracer GT has 9000 miles and my Super Tenere has 44000 miles......both brake switches work fine.

Edited by whisperquiet

53 minutes ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I received my recall letter yesterday (Illinois). My question is: Has any actually experience a issue with the switch? I have roughly 14k miles and I don't ever remember the brake light not turning on or failing. 

AFAIK the issue is with the 1st click of the micro-switch which disables the cruise control. When the error occurs the system will disable the cruise control. I've read several reports of the cruise control turning off suddenly.

It is a very slow recall (my dealer just sits on the letters until he gets the parts and has time) which indicates that there is no safety issues (yet).

• Thumbsup 1

In the Tracer GT section there is a thread title Cruse Control Light Flashing that has 60 comments.  From what I can tell they are a number of brake switch issues reported in that thread although it predates the recall.  There are actually three related threads on the brake switch recall, this one, the CC Light Flashing thread and a brake switch recall thread.  The latter 2 being in the Tracer 900GT section.  In the recall thread I posted that I have 3,500 miles on my bike but 2,400 miles are extended highway/interstate runs and therefore the brake has not been used as much as might be indicated by the mileage.  It has never been ridden in the rain (yet) and only been washed a couple of times.  I have no issues with my switch.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to replace the brake light switches on my Super Tenere and Tracer GT.  The Super Tenere was easy to run the wiring from the front brake area to the terminus under the right panel and above the battery.

The Tracer GT is a lot tougher to trace and release the front brake switch wire lead due to tight packaging, hard to release wire loom ties, difficult to see areas behind the headlight assembly.

My ?? Has anyone replaced their Tracer GT front brake switch yet and if so....any tips?

OK, I’ll answer my own question.       I removed the front brake light switch and approximately two foot long harness from my 2019 Tracer 900 GT today.  It was a difficult task as the harness is tightly routed under and around other wire leads, the front subframe,  in/out of the fairing to where it terminates under the right front of the gas tank.  You will have to remove the right fairing, inner fairing, and the trim ring that encircles the front of the gas tank.

I had to cut a couple of the black plastic retention straps as it impossible to release them where they were located given the tight packaging and lack of access.  None the less, the switch and harness were removed intact for replacement by my Yamaha dealer this week.  I don’t know what the flat rate is for the recall, but I can’t imagine a mechanic removing and replacing the switch in less than one hour ....... that is if they ever seen a Tracer like my dealer who mainly sells ATVs/UTVs.

My 2015 Super Tenere was quite a bit easier than the Tracer with the packaging not nearly as dense.  The gas tank needs to be raised and the right side electrical panel needs to be released by way of the four bolts that secure it to the bike.

So, both switches/harnesses will be installed this week and my cruise control will work on both bikes.......the Super Tenere was not working;   the Tracer GT was still operable.

FYI....YMMV

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

OK, I’ll answer my own question.       I removed the front brake light switch and approximately two foot long harness from my 2019 Tracer 900 GT today.  It was a difficult task as the harness is tightly routed under and around other wire leads, the front subframe,  in/out of the fairing to where it terminates under the right front of the gas tank.  You will have to remove the right fairing, inner fairing, and the trim ring that encircles the front of the gas tank.

I had to cut a couple of the black plastic retention straps as it impossible to release them where they were located given the tight packaging and lack of access.  None the less, the switch and harness were removed intact for replacement by my Yamaha dealer this week.  I don’t know what the flat rate is for the recall, but I can’t imagine a mechanic removing and replacing the switch in less than one hour ....... that is if they ever seen a Tracer like my dealer who mainly sells ATVs/UTVs.

My 2015 Super Tenere was quite a bit easier than the Tracer with the packaging not nearly as dense.  The gas tank needs to be raised and the right side electrical panel needs to be released by way of the four bolts that secure it to the bike.

So, both switches/harnesses will be installed this week and my cruise control will work on both bikes.......the Super Tenere was not working;   the Tracer GT was still operable.

FYI....YMMV

So you’re going to give the old switch to your dealer and he’s going to hand you a new one to install or are you having the dealer do the install? I ask because I’d like to do the switch change out on my Niken when I install the heated grips, the bike will be opened up then anyway. So far I haven’t found a dealer that’s willing or able to get me the replacement switch without me bringing the bike in. I understand the dealer needs the old part and I’d happily give it to them but I’d really like to do the work myself if I can get the switch.