Front brake light switch recall, 900GT

28 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I don’t know what the flat rate is for the recall, but I can’t imagine a mechanic removing and replacing the switch in less than one hour ....... that is if they ever seen a Tracer like my dealer who mainly sells ATVs/UTVs.

Book is 0.6 hours. They did mine in 10 mins...

• Thumbsup 1

Nope, I was there, easy peasy. Not a single side cutters was used. First one they did, probably last since they don't sell many bikes. I did already have the side faring off but that's only three half twist bolts and the blinker connection.

The unbolted the right mount. (2)10mm, a few clips and wraps and away it went.

Don't know what to y'all ya bud.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Nope, I was there, easy peasy. Not a single side cutters was used. First one they did, probably last since they don't sell many bikes. I did already have the side faring off but that's only three half twist bolts and the blinker connection.

The unbolted the right mount. (2)10mm, a few clips and wraps and away it went.

Don't know what to y'all ya bud.

Maybe my 2019 wiring is routed different than the 2020 (doubtful), but my wiring was wound around other wiring tight enough that you would not be able to remove the old harness unless the ties were cut or the harness cut to allow sliding the connector or switch through.  My Super Tenere was routed in a normal fashion.

Edited by whisperquiet

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago.  They had the bike for about an hour - it was a Saturday so don't think they spent a whole hour doing it.  Looks good and works just like it did before.  I went on a group ride that morning and then riding to the shop used the cruse control without any issues.  Mine is a 2020 GT I bought in September and has never been in the rain.  I would be surprised if it had any issues not but glad to have the recall done.

• Supporting Member
On 2/21/2021 at 8:53 PM, whisperquiet said:

Maybe my 2019 wiring is routed different than the 2020 (doubtful), but my wiring was wound around other wiring tight enough that you would not be able to remove the old harness unless the ties were cut or the harness cut to allow sliding the connector or switch through.  My Super Tenere was routed in a normal fashion.

Did my 2019 2 weekends ago and had the same experience as you, WQ.  Wiring wrapped around wiring and extremely little room for error.  It was more of a chore than I expected, but after some amazing profanities and a few really mean looks, I got it done.  All part of the journey, I reckon...

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

And, wonder of wonders, Yamaha provides another wiring tie to replace the one that has to be cut from the center support frame for the fairing/headlight assembly.  The extra tie and front brake wiring harness are in the same package for the recall.  The Super Tenere kit has the front brake light switch/harness only.

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, whistler said:

Did my 2019 2 weekends ago and had the same experience as you, WQ.  Wiring wrapped around wiring and extremely little room for error.  It was more of a chore than I expected, but after some amazing profanities and a few really mean looks, I got it done.  All part of the journey, I reckon...

Yep they’re routed in there pretty tight. 
yamaha pays 0.6 to get them done (37 minutes) in case you were wondering. So having the bike for an hour @PhotoAl is about right. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3

I am still being told part unavailable by my selling dealer. took the letter to them January 30th and just checked in on it last Friday March 12th. I am starting to smell a rat on this. Most likely the sorry ass dealership personnel not doing their actual job.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:57 PM, roy826 said:

I am still being told part unavailable by my selling dealer. took the letter to them January 30th and just checked in on it last Friday March 12th. I am starting to smell a rat on this. Most likely the sorry ass dealership personnel not doing their actual job.

It was unavailable for my dealer as well up until a few weeks ago, so it could be possible that your dealer is still in a queue.

• 5 months later...

I drug my feet a bit on the recall for my Tracer GT. I did inquire with the dealer local to me (where I purchased the bike), but they had a six week backlog (just to do the service, not to get the part), and I was planning to relocate at about that time so just decided to wait.  Then after moving, the bike was working fine, I didn't know of any reputable dealers in my (new) area, so I procrastinated. Then it failed :(.  The brake light would intermittently stay on (mostly it was on) and the cruise control failed. I could still hear the faint audible clicks and of course there is nothing to service on this switch (without disassembly), so I reached out to the Yamaha dealer nearest me.  Sadly, they were less than cooperative. They insisted I bring the bike to them (45 min ride each way, with no brake lights) before they would even order the part, and refused to check on the time to source the part, or even how quickly they'd service it once sourced.  I had hoped I could offer my VIN, they'd order the part, and then we could just schedule the service.  So I just ordered the switch from Partzilla ($67) and installed myself.  I hate to spend my own money for a factory recall, but in this case, it was worth it to spend this much and get it done without the hassles and time dealing with my local dealer.

I took my time to ensure it was all done just like the factory install. And just an FYI, none of those ties or plastic clamps need to be cut.  All of them are designed so that you can press a tab where the teeth engage to release them. For that center (wide) tie, it is indeed a bit difficult to reach, but certainly not impossible (small right-angle pic works well).  Same for all the others.  If you take your time, you can remove them without cutting and re-use.