Clutch basket rattling research

CP3 Clutch rattle   

35 members have voted

1. 1. My clutch basket rattles when letting out the clutch at idle

• Yes
    • Nope (in this case don't answer the second question)
  2. 2. I use

• Synthetic Full
    • Synthetic Blend
    • 10w40
    • 10w50
    • other

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

@petshark - FWIW, my '15 used to be quite noisy, to the point that while on a road trip I started it at the hotel in the morning and a few other riders came over to ask if my bike was ok. 🙄

I took it to the dealer and had it checked, they determined that the basket was ever so slightly out of round and replaced it under warranty.  Apparently as others have noted, the original part has been superseded, I'm not sure what part number I got but the replacement has been noticeably quieter.

You mean the outer basket shown in my pics?  Darn, am out of even the YES warranty I got in late 16?  Or does YES start after the standard 12 month warranty; i.e., 2016~17 = 1 + 4 = June or July of 2021?  How is Mileage handled by the YES?

Regardless, I'm not worried about the clutch noise (I think).  CCT noise, yes.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You mean the outer basket shown in my pics?  Darn, am out of even the YES warranty I got in late 16?  Or does YES start after the standard 12 month warranty; i.e., 2016~17 = 1 + 4 = June or July of 2021?  How is Mileage handled by the YES?

Regardless, I'm not worried about the clutch noise (I think).  CCT noise, yes.

The standard warranty is 1 year, and I bought the 4 year Y.E.S. warranty for 5 years total coverage, I bought mine in December of '16 so my service warranty expires at the end of this year.  I would have to ask but am not aware of any mileage limitations. 

I am fortunate that my local dealer is fair and customer service oriented, I have had warranty replacements for the clutch basket, the 12v power outlet, both front brake calipers and the ABS pump.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, nhchris said:

the bike was inexpensive

Correct, that's what I should have said :)

Good to know the part number has been updated.  ...will look into that when it comes to new clutch time.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

There’s no mileage limitation on the YES. 

Also, the FJ/Tracer isn’t “”cheap”. It’s a machine that gives you more bang for your buck. 

• Thumbsup 4

Let’s go Brandon

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I am fortunate that my local dealer is fair and customer service oriented, I have had warranty replacements for the clutch basket, the 12v power outlet, both front brake calipers and the ABS pump.

That is quite a list. But seeing as 2015 is the first FJ-09/Tracer I guess it is well within reason for a new model.

When I asked my dealer about the noise, he first answered that it's perfectly normal and "they all have it". He then continued to say that he has sold many GT's and that he has only ever had one warranty claim/job and that was a broken display (something with the chipset behind it). Really well built and only one recall, the brake light switch...

I loved to hear that! 🤩

• Thumbsup 1

I plan to do my next oil change with Motul 5100 10w40 Semi-synthetic as this was my preferred oil on the Kawasakis and I still have 10 liters of the stuff. There is Synthetic 10w50 in the bike from the previous owner.

Someone posted in another thread that the rattling started after changing to full synthetic so if this changes anything I will let you all know.

• Thumbsup 1