Clutch basket rattling research

CP3 Clutch rattle   

35 members have voted

1. 1. My clutch basket rattles when letting out the clutch at idle

• Yes
    • Nope (in this case don't answer the second question)
  2. 2. I use

• Synthetic Full
    • Synthetic Blend
    • 10w40
    • 10w50
    • other

I've read some old threads about the clutch basket rattling on the CP3 engine. Some say it was always there, for others it came later. Most say that it is just a characteristic of the engine but there are reports where it gets worse with time.

Reading these experiences made me wonder if the type of oil and viscosity may have an influence on the rattling.

I'm also curious to see if all CP3 engines have this issue to some extent or if there are engines that stay rattle free.

Edited by petshark

A lot of people confuse the CCT on early models with this noise.

As for quieting clutch noise:
Not well documented but the noise is due to the rubber bushing wear on the clutch basket.

You see it a lot more on the FZ/MT crowd due to the nature of the riders it tends to attract.

Here's a link to someones previous fix:

• Thumbsup 2

Maybe that is why my 2020 has what looks to be a plastic sound deadening cover on the engine clutch cover side. At 2900 miles I do hear a little noise coming from the clutch but it is no more or less than any other bike I have ever owned. And I owned a 2002 V-strom 1000 which had the worst clutch basket ever made and was loud as the miles racked up. Had a couple or rattling dirt bike clutch baskets which is considered normal with the abuse they generally take during extreme woods riding.

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, roy826 said:

Maybe that is why my 2020 has what looks to be a plastic sound deadening cover on the engine clutch cover side. At 2900 miles I do hear a little noise coming from the clutch but it is no more or less than any other bike I have ever owned. And I owned a 2002 V-strom 1000 which had the worst clutch basket ever made and was loud as the miles racked up. Had a couple or rattling dirt bike clutch baskets which is considered normal with the abuse they generally take during extreme woods riding.

I started to notice mine vibration wise around 3k miles. Mainly with low throttle inputs on/off throttle at 40-50 mph with little to no load on the engine.  That's what started me down this path, did some discover digging and found the same issue with play in the clutch basket as the link I provided above. Some day I'll tinker with it but for now I just ignore it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Yes, it's definitely a noisy design.  I'd say mine is even louder but it's hard to tell cuz it sounds like you have an AM exhaust.  When I pull in the lever, it is significantly quieter.  I installed the 16 XSR slip/assist clutch in my fastest red 15, and I think it made it even louder.  I also installed the new version of the clutch cable and tried fitting the Yamaha Bolt clutch pull arm for more leverage but went back to stock.  I don't worry about the noise but I also installed the manual APE CCT after they installed the TSB Mark II OEM CCT.  Set and forget until valve lash check time...which you should do early.

20180415_152512.jpg

20180415_154628.jpg

20180415_160918.jpg

20180415_161024.jpg

20180416_191014.jpg

20180416_210013.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

My bike has 100K miles on the clock. Its rattled for as long as i can remember. I don't pay attention to it.

This.  👆  2015 52,000 miles it has always made noise when in neutral with the clutch out. 

• Thumbsup 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

My 15 has always been a bit noisier in N with the clutch out, but I hesitate to call it a rattle.

The cam chain tensioner on the other hand - now THAT rattles.  Then goes away.  Then comes back.

Oh well, the bike was cheap!!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, knyte said:

My 15 has always been a bit noisier in N with the clutch out, but I hesitate to call it a rattle.

The cam chain tensioner on the other hand - now THAT rattles.  Then goes away.  Then comes back.

Oh well, the bike was cheap!!

Love your positive attitude! 

• Thumbsup 1

My 16 FJ is quieter after an oil change and then progressively noisier approaching the next oil change on full synth Yamalube.

But you're correct, the bike was inexpensive (as opposed to cheap)!!  :)

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

@petshark - FWIW, my '15 used to be quite noisy, to the point that while on a road trip I started it at the hotel in the morning and a few other riders came over to ask if my bike was ok. 🙄

I took it to the dealer and had it checked, they determined that the basket was ever so slightly out of round and replaced it under warranty.  Apparently as others have noted, the original part has been superseded, I'm not sure what part number I got but the replacement has been noticeably quieter.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***