Downshifting problem

So my bike is still shy of 3,000 miles and I'm having a problem with the downshifting. Often, like on every ride, I will be slowing down to a stop and going down through my gears when it will stop engaging in 3rd or 2nd. The pedal is unresponsive, and no amount of pressing down or lifting up matters. I've had this on rare occasions on other bikes, but this is an every ride problem on my 900. I have to come to a stop, and let out the clutch to get some friction, and then it will let me do something. 

Is this a known issue with 900's? I'm a veteran rider and am not inclined to think it is a "me" problem. Any insights? 

About the only thing I've seen around here and experienced myself is you have to completely remove pressure on the shift lever between gears. Even a slight touch can cause a shift issue. I've also seen people who have adjusted their shift lever up or down quite a bit and changed the angle of pressure, but this is usually a quick shift operation issue.

4 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

About the only thing I've seen around here and experienced myself is you have to completely remove pressure on the shift lever between gears

I've tried that, being super purposeful of removing my foot with each downshift. It doesn't help. I absolutely love how the bike upshifts, so incredibly smoothly. Just blip the throttle and it's instantaneous, but downshifting? It's a real problem. 

I haven't had any problems shifting my bike, but normally slightly blip the throttle during each gear while downshifting.  It is an old habit that seems to smooth the downshifting by keeping the transmission spinning.

8 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I haven't had any problems shifting my bike, but normally slightly blip the throttle during each gear while downshifting.

People don't do that?

I assumed everyone blipped the throttle.🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 3

I've always done that......been riding for a very long time.  Same thing when trying to get some difficult transmissions in neutral while stopped (KTM!! 690 Enduro R!!).

Edited by whisperquiet

45 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I haven't had any problems shifting my bike, but normally slightly blip the throttle during each gear while downshifting.  It is an old habit that seems to smooth the downshifting by keeping the transmission spinning.

I've honestly never had to do this on my FJR, Connie, Versys or Aprilia. But I'll give it a try. Thanks. 

Blipping the throttle for downshifts has always been standard procedure for me and it makes downshifting smoother.  However there are times when coasting to a stop I will hold the clutch in and click off the last couple of downshifts to first gear as I roll to a stop, but this is only at slow speeds.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I think blipping was originally done to keep carburetors on line and fueled.  (I hear it done on Harleys all the time.)

In the era of fuel injection it's no longer necessary. And fast blipping can actually overtake the electronics and mechanicals of the fuel system and cause rougher operation.  But it does feel cool/good!

One rapid throttle rollup to match RPM is more than adequate for downshifting.  That and a slipper clutch :)

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Mine won't shift down through all the gears when completely stopped, but that's not unique to the Tracer, basically all my bikes have done that.  Need to partially let out the clutch to let the transmission "set" into gear before shifting again.  That *only* happens when gearing down multiple gears while completely stopped however.

• Thumbsup 1

Really appreciate all the input. Guess I've been lazy and the 900 is just a bit less friendly to going down through gears without a momentary clutch engagement. Cheers all. 

Do you clutch on up and downshifts?  I shift up with the clutch 99.9% of the time and rarely use the quick shifter.  I never shift without clutching on a downshift.

Also, some transmission gear sets have slightly more undercut engagement dogs to prevent the bike from jumping out of gear under acceleration.

Edited by whisperquiet

3 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Do you clutch on up and downshifts?  I shift up with the clutch 99.9% of the time and rarely use the quick shifter.  I never shift without clutching on a downshift.

Also, some transmission gear sets have slightly more undercut engagement dogs to prevent the bike from jumping out of gear under acceleration.

I always do on upshifting, as the old school mechanic in me just can't tolerate the thought of grinding gears. On downshifting, I always have the clutch in. I confess to having been holding in the clutch continuously and trying to get from 6-1 or 4-1. I will try letting out the clutch somewhere between and getting things spun up again to see if I can avoid the inoperable shift problem. Makes sense. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

"Mine won't shift down through all the gears when completely stopped, but that's not unique to the Tracer, basically all my bikes have done that.  Need to partially let out the clutch to let the transmission "set" into gear before shifting again.  That *only* happens when gearing down multiple gears while completely stopped however."

👆 this since I started riding in 1974

It has been my experience that as you slow down to something like a light and you are "lazy" with  the down shift points. (speeds)  ie. The bike is at a slow speed while you are in a higher gear it will stop downshifting as you get to the lower gears. A slight engagement of the clutch and gear box (slightly let out the clutch until the gearbox drags a tiny bit, fixes it.) 

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA