ECU Flash

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Just returned from getting my ECU flashed at @2wheeldynoworks. Super nice folks. Unfortunately, I can’t try it until I get my forks back from the shop, but I’ll let you know when I do. Anticipation....

Where did you take your forks?  If you are close enough to drive to 2WDW, then you are probably (relatively) close enough to KFG Motorsports in Auburn.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’m up near Everett. I dropped them off at KFG yesterday but they have a 5-7 day lead time. I went with KFG from your advice awhile back, plus there doesn’t seem to be any suspension shops up my way. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

I’m up near Everett. I dropped them off at KFG yesterday but they have a 5-7 day lead time. I went with KFG from your advice awhile back, plus there doesn’t seem to be any suspension shops up my way. 

On my previous Gen II FZ1, I installed R1 suspension and had KFG revalve the parts and it was MAGIC!!!  😎👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Not to hijack this thread off of ECU flashing, but I'm interested in this fork issue. I upgraded my springs to proper stiffness for my 200 lbs and gear, and changed oil to 7.5W Motul. I still find the front dives too much on moderate braking. I'm a fork noob, having never changed anything on my previous bikes. I'm understanding that the cartridge can be swapped out using the original fork bodies. Will upgrading the cartridge make my front end dive less and smooth that out? Sorry to be so basic.

• Thumbsup 1

I’m also a suspension noob. The cartridges I received from K-Tech (Lenny Albin) came with 9.0 springs and a quart of oil (not sure the weight). I have faith that Lenny sent the correct shit and that KFG knows their shit when installing. 🤞🙏

When I get the forks back I’ll set the sag and then do the fine tuning of the damping. At least that’s the plan. 

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Not to hijack this thread off of ECU flashing, but I'm interested in this fork issue. I upgraded my springs to proper stiffness for my 200 lbs and gear, and changed oil to 7.5W Motul. I still find the front dives too much on moderate braking. I'm a fork noob, having never changed anything on my previous bikes. I'm understanding that the cartridge can be swapped out using the original fork bodies. Will upgrading the cartridge make my front end dive less and smooth that out? Sorry to be so basic.

You have the base Tracer (non GT) correct?  If I recall, that model still has one active leg for rebound damping adjustment and the other is a spring only?

Swapping out the cartridges should cure a lot of that fork dive and have fully functioning (adjustable) compression damping.  If you had the GT with one leg rebound damping and one leg compression damping, I would say to have them revalved instead of all new cartridges.

Back when we had forum vendor Matt (Forks by Matt) doing forum suspension work, he offered upgraded fork cartridges for the FJ model with both legs having re valved rebound and compression circuits for a ridiculously low price (modified cartridges, fork springs, 2nd rebound fork cap and shipping for right around $500).  I was one of the last ones to get a set of his forks and they still work AWESOME.  Its a shame he isn't a forum vendor any more.

1 hour ago, betoney said:

You have the base Tracer (non GT) correct? 

Yes I do. Wow, the prices on cartridges are outrageous. I just can't see a time anytime soon when I can drop $1,000 to reduce fork dive on hard braking, when I'm not a track guy. I think I'll be staying put! My price point for that improvement would be like, $2-300 maybe. Clearly, I'm not a suspension geek! 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Salish900 said:

Yes I do. Wow, the prices on cartridges are outrageous. I just can't see a time anytime soon when I can drop $1,000 to reduce fork dive on hard braking, when I'm not a track guy. I think I'll be staying put! My price point for that improvement would be like, $2-300 maybe. Clearly, I'm not a suspension geek! 

Strange that the bike dives like that with the correct springs and 7.5W oil. Would you be able to try heavier oil? Does the ride feel good otherwise over bumps etc? For reference, I am about your weight with 0.9 kg/mm springs.

Give Nick a call at Stoltec Moto to see if he can help. He has a re-valve service and offers a drop-in exchange for the one active leg (cartridge) on your bike. He's only listing the FJ on there, but may be able to help with the Tracer too. You're kinda on opposite ends of the country though... worth a chat anyway I think.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

3 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Who's springs did you put in? Did you do it yourself?

I only had 1 ride with my new springs and 10 wt Maxima oil but I was doing full ABS stops in anti-skid and the forks felt great.  Here's my post on it. Wish I could erase all the Race Tech episodes.

I love my 2WDW flash!

7 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Who's springs did you put in? Did you do it yourself?

I installed Ktech 10.0 NM springs myself, and used 7.5 W Motul oil. I've adjusted the preload for 40mm of travel. My only variable now would be to thicken my oil. While riding the bike feels fine, I don't notice anything off. It's only on stopping, and I confess to liking to brake hard, that the front really dives. 

10 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

What level did you set the oil to?

Oh, I don't recall now, but I did it by the recommendations here. I have a good fork kit and measured it fine. No reason to think that's an issue. But I may switch to a 10W fluid just for grins. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I installed Ktech 10.0 NM springs myself, and used 7.5 W Motul oil. I've adjusted the preload for 40mm of travel. My only variable now would be to thicken my oil. While riding the bike feels fine, I don't notice anything off. It's only on stopping, and I confess to liking to brake hard, that the front really dives. 

Oh, I don't recall now, but I did it by the recommendations here. I have a good fork kit and measured it fine. No reason to think that's an issue. But I may switch to a 10W fluid just for grins. 

When switching from 7.5w to 10w oil, use the same brand so you have a reference, since actual fork oil viscosities vary wildly from one brand to another even listed at the same weight.

The 1.0kg/mm springs 'should' be way too stiff and definitely less able to dive at your weight.  When I had my current forks built the .95kg/mm springs were installed for my weight of 220/225 lbs, the forks on my previous bike were built at a different shop and they also recommended the same .95kg/mm.  This chart from Sonic Springs shows the same info.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/images/SonicRate_Yamaha.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

17 minutes ago, betoney said:

The 1.0kg/mm springs 'should' be way too stiff

My mistake, I read the email order wrong. I put in 9.5 nm springs. This below from my order. 

K-Tech Suspension Front Fork Spring-#3624-300 8.0N-10.0N FZ09 FJ09 MT09 XSR900 13-19 Sold EACH

• Select Spring Rate:  -9.5Nm

I sized them for me, my gear, and my side cases, and my propensity to go on long trips. When I chose the Motul oil I read about how differently the different manufacturers oils are. There was a handy chart I found on here somewhere that compared the characteristics of different fork oils and for sure, the listed weight does not say nearly as much as one would think! So I think stepping up my oil is my best and most affordable option.

• Thumbsup 1