Greetings from Wisconsin

DR_DR3I

Hi All,

Joining you from thawing Wisconsin, finally picked up my 2016 FJ-09 and brought her home. I've already perused through the many helpful threads here and I've got plans for this FJ, including the oil plug mod and others.

I'm moving up from a 2008 FZ6 that I rode about 5 yrs and put 12k+ miles on, it was the right time in my life. Now that we're settled, I needed another bike to enjoy in my spare time and on these country roads around my neck of the woods. 

Thank you for having me, looking forward to being a contributing member.

FJ1.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, the bike IS clean for being a 2016. It's a 1-owner bike with 3850 miles on the odo before I drove it home.

It has the SW Motech crash bars and reflective wheels stripes, but I don't detect much else in the way of farkling. Are saddle bag rails standard?

The windscreen was at its lowest setting, which actually did pretty well to keep my head from bobbing around too much at speed. I just adjusted it to the middle setting, raising it by 1 inch. We'll see how that works, before I move it up to the last notch.

The next adjustment is the rear spring preload, which is set 1 below standard. I'll finagle with it and probably end up at the 6 setting. Then I need to adjust front preload, as it dips way too much during normal braking. I only see 2 rings showing on the front fork preload.

Edited by DR_DR3I

I picked up my 15 last fall with only1k miles on it. Over winter I put .10 fork springs in it, the front needed it worse then the rear. 

You'll want to change EVERY fluid in it, probably hasn't been done.

Bag rails are standard.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, DR_DR3I said:

The next adjustment is the rear spring preload, which is set 1 below standard. I'll finagle with it and probably end up at the 6 setting. Then I need to adjust front preload, as it dips way too much during normal braking. I only see 2 rings showing on the front fork preload.

Welcome.  Getting a '16 with under 4k miles was a great find. 

If you only have 2 lines showing on the fork caps, the spring preload is almost at its maximum setting, you might need to get firmer springs to reduce the fork dive. 

Enjoy the bike, it is a fantastic machine.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome, 

What part of Wisconsin are you from. I usually ride to Ferryville WI about 45 minutes south of La Crosse. It's one of my favorite northern routes near me.

image.thumb.png.470e3c24c46b1ef760ddaefe55f95512.png

Just look at all those curvy roads. The smaller side streets are usually on the slower speeds. However, the main streets you can fly by, 80 MPH plus on a curve. Just be careful you can get air sometimes. 

• Thumbsup 1

Thank you Gents.

33 minutes ago, betoney said:

Welcome.  Getting a '16 with under 4k miles was a great find. 

If you only have 2 lines showing on the fork caps, the spring preload is almost at its maximum setting, you might need to get firmer springs to reduce the fork dive. 

Enjoy the bike, it is a fantastic machine.

Thanks! I agree, it was an awesome find. Makes me not feel bad about missing out on that Tracer 900. 

Ah, so the front fork is actually way softer than I thought then. I'll look into springs next.

47 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I picked up my 15 last fall with only1k miles on it. Over winter I put .10 fork springs in it, the front needed it worse then the rear. 

You'll want to change EVERY fluid in it, probably hasn't been done.

Bag rails are standard.

The shop just did the oil change, but I will likely need the brake fluid flushed. I'm not too worried about the coolant just yet.

20 minutes ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

Welcome, 

What part of Wisconsin are you from. I usually ride to Ferryville WI about 45 minutes south of La Crosse. It's one of my favorite northern routes near me.

image.thumb.png.470e3c24c46b1ef760ddaefe55f95512.png

Just look at all those curvy roads. The smaller side streets are usually on the slower speeds. However, the main streets you can fly by, 80 MPH plus on a curve. Just be careful you can get air sometimes. 

Greetings to a fellow Eastern European ;) I'm very near Lake Geneva, just over the IL border north of Harvard, IL actually. Maybe we can set up a ride one of these days.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Coolant IS due

Agree.  It's an easy job.  Brake fluid, too - not much swearing involved.

Great looking bike!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

19 minutes ago, DR_DR3I said:

Greetings to a fellow Eastern European ;) I'm very near Lake Geneva, just over the IL border north of Harvard, IL actually. Maybe we can set up a ride one of these days.

For sure, I actually already rode to Lake Geneva this year. It's a wonderful town. Next time I'll let you know when I'm riding around Lake Geneva. 

1 hour ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

For sure, I actually already rode to Lake Geneva this year. It's a wonderful town. Next time I'll let you know when I'm riding around Lake Geneva. 

Sounds great, looking forward to it!

4 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Mine had nothing done but oil.  Brake fluid looked like coffee.

Brake fluid still looks amber, but just to be safe I'll have it flushed this year along with coolant. This bike will be a keeper and I like to keep all my equipment in top shape.