Dumping the factory Dunlops

Everyone has their favorite tire brand.  I've been running Dunlops for decades, love them.

But not these POS factory D222s.  😣 After 1000 miles, I am pulling them off the bike - they can served as emergency backup tires:

noWheelsTracer.thumb.jpg.9ad723eaa114adce0273025739496f76.jpg

Since I am needing to install the internal sensor for the TPMS setup (Sykik SYTP400), it was a good time to replace them with the latest iteration of the tried and true Dunlop RoadSmart. Here are inspirational fresh nubbies - always nice to see:

nubbies.thumb.jpg.15973e3c033a5051056c680951c7e098.jpg

This Sykik TPMS setup gun-metal blue-ish metal valves:

yellowDot.thumb.jpg.4c02d92bf786a453a648c3e0f184c44a.jpg

Not 90-drgrees... the valves are angled up at 83 degrees, makes airing the up easy: 

18degreeValveStem.thumb.jpg.04a605bc80004e82f620480649922b33.jpg

Still have to balance both wheels, but that's tomorrow's tasking. 

• Thumbsup 5

I just picked up Dunlop as well but in my case I’ve decided to go for TrailSmart for the rear in size 170/60/17 (since not available in 180/55/17). Shinko 705 TrailMaster for the front wheel.

Like the valves, nice to have them angled up a bit.  On my scooter have a 90 degree but it's a piece of brass tubing that goes thru a rubber grommet - makes airing up difficult as it moves and is hard to get the air chuck on correctly.  

5 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

With your long distance riding history you have just worn out the OEM tires in three days of riding....amirite?

Normally true, but not this time... only 1000 miles on the Tracer thus far. I've had the RoadSmart IVs ready to go for a week, but was waiting for the Sykik TPMS to arrive so I could install the internal sensors. The old D222s still have a fair bit of tread remaining, but they will sit in the corner gathering dust while serving as emergency backup tires. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Hate the front D222, I believe it's giving me a slight hop and wobble which has been mentioned by more than a few here.

yes it is a wobbler I have the same bike and it was bad from day 1.

• Thumbsup 2

I think rider weight is everything with tires. I'm heavy and have no problems with the OEM Dunlops. Rear is worn to the edge never a problem. I'm close to changing out the rear to the RS 2.

I'm trying to decide how many RS2 tires I want to stock up on. They are just about gone, never to come back.

$96 delivered for a rear Dunlop is just too good.

Wonder if they'll offer the RS3 the same way soon.

I didn't like the front but they are what it came with and since I traded 1,400 miles from home and had over 2,000 miles on them by the time I got home they did OK.  Most of that riding was pretty straight roads (eastern South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas.  After I got them home and started to work on faster riding on twisty roads the front really bothered me.  I took them off between 2,600 and 3,000 miles and gave them away.  Don't know what the future holds but my history has been to take trips of between 5,000 and 6,000 miles so wind up buying tires before they are work out - like to leave on a new set or at least a new rear.  I keep getting tempted by the Roadsmarts but haven't ridden anything other than Michelins for a long time - did run Bridgestone S20 and S21s on my ZX6R and really like them - but they aren't a sport touring tire.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

did run Bridgestone S20 and S21s on my ZX6R and really like them - but they aren't a sport touring tire.

I have used the S20, S21 and S22 - GREAT tires.  For a 'Sport' tire, I can still manage to get over 5k (usually closer to 6k) out of them. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

They impressed me with their wet traction also.  As OP says everyone has their fav brand of tire.  I've said it before, I like the decisions Yamaha made with the Tracer GT.  Obviously they had a cost target, what the didn't scrimp on was the basic package, a good frame and a wonderful engine and a descent gearbox.  Suspension can be fixed, tires can be swapped but it's hard to fix a hum drum power plant.  

• Thumbsup 4