Remove front wheel with Front paddock stand + Centre stand only?

RollIt

Has anyone used just front paddock stand and centre stand to lift front for wheel removal?

Currently my bike is on centre stand with rear wheel already removed. 

Could i lift the front with paddock stand only (+ centre stand) with rear wheel already removed?

Edited by RollIt
more details in title

3 hours ago, RollIt said:

ok, looks like its feasible. I used a car jack at rear swing arm/frame slider for some support at rear, sorry don't have rear paddock yet ;)

Thanks for your replies!

IMG_0464.jpg

Just picked up a paddock stand for the front myself yesterday after using cinder blocks and wood blocks for years (= shaky!). Test fit with rear wheel in place is a no go - rear wheel hits ground before paddock stand is fully engaged in the front. This is no problem, though, as I will be pulling both wheels for tire change. I guess If I really wanted to do the front only then I could put a wood block under the center stand to raise the rear before applying the paddock stand in the front.

• Thumbsup 1

I don't have a front axle stand but the center stand for the back wheel then a car jack and block of wood under the front of the engine lifted up a little for the front wheel removal front axle then put back in to support front of bike on a car axle stand while I took the wheels to the tyre fitter worked a treat.

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, HGP61 said:

I don't have a front axle stand but the center stand for the back wheel then a car jack and block of wood under the front of the engine lifted up a little for the front wheel removal front axle then put back in to support front of bike on a car axle stand while I took the wheels to the tyre fitter worked a treat.

now i'm wondering why i bought front paddock stand ;D

Yeah, I've always used the centerstand + a car jack under one of the header cross pipes to support the front when removing both wheels.  If the forks are staying in, then i'll usually put the axle back in and support with a jackstand under that too.  If it's going to be like that with no wheels for a while, then the rear axle goes back in and another stand there or the paddock stand.

My normal paddock stand just has swingarm paddles, dunno how much I'd want to use it with the forks.  Maybe it would work, but I don't think it'd be very secure.  I don't have spools or the spool grabbing paddock attachments.

If you have the OEM exhaust  you can use a 2X4 on the crossover pipe to lift the front also. Cut to length and taper the end. When dealing with gravity I like the belt and suspenders approach.  I also have a jack under the headers.

Screenshot_20210423-091049.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-091108.jpg

Edited by peteinpa

6 hours ago, peteinpa said:

When dealing with gravity I like the belt and suspenders approach

Me too, First time I had both wheels off my 900 Diversion (Seca in USA I think) I had the centre stand, a jack under the engine, axle stands on front and back and a strap from the handle bar up to a roof roof joist on the garage. The bike didn't move you will be glad to know.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1