Merced River Yosemite Valley

My old home! My first job out of college was teaching for Yosemite Institute. My daily commute was along the Merced. If you get away from the roads and cars and people, which is easy enough, and rest along the Merced looking up at the Yosemite walls, it is about the most beautiful experience you can have on this planet. 

• Thumbsup 1

I took 41 into the valley to see the view coming out of the tunnel and  took 140 out. 

I was not expecting the the grandeur.......nor the ride beside the river. To be sitting beside it where that picture was a taken......nothing more than a wide, flowing stream to a river. There are no words......

140 is outstanding......

Edited by duckie

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member
8 hours ago, pilgo said:

I'm planning on a 2 day trip into Yosemite in a couple of weeks,  I'll be going in on the 120 from Lee Vinning. Looking forward to it 👍😎

If I could offer a suggestion, - if you enter the park from the East and exit through the West, make a loop out of your route and include one of the FANTASTIC Sierra passes when heading back home.  Sonora, Ebbetts and Carson passes are ALL amazing.

If you plan it right you can include Monitor Pass from Markleeville to Topaz Lake which is a MUST RIDE road if you are in the area. 

Carson / Monitor Pass - https://maps.app.goo.gl/kMxm22zi8e7yJSc69

Sonora / Monitor Pass - https://maps.app.goo.gl/6aiHTmshCdNEbgcQ9

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Was working in San Francisco and did the July 4th thing in 73 and camped at what was the first site coming thru that tunnel.

It had been occupied by Hell's Angel's who didn't hassle me because I was on my 61 Goldstar Cafe (luckily not my "Jap" bike). Lots of maryjane smoke wafted up through the trees that holiday!

Anyway, visited several times after but that week was just perfect. 

Gotta get back as it is an incomparable wonder!