Horns of a dilemma- 2020 Tracer 900 GT v 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

LeeS

In the very near future, I'm going to post my '16 FJR1300A up f/s so it's getting close to decision time for my next and very likely last bike. I honestly thought my '11 N1K was my last bike, that was until my daughter started riding w/me 2 years back and the N1K was found unsuitable for 2-up purposes. Well, she's about to head off to college so her riding time w/me will be significantly minimized and she's told me to get what I want. And therein lies the matter. 

The FJR is an awesome and capable bike; my lone issue w/that bike is its weight. At 650+ lbs., my fear is dropping her while moving her around the garage, slow speed maneuvers, etc.  And honestly, once my daughter is off, the FJR will be overkill for my general riding purposes. My desire is to return to a smaller, lighter (500 +/- lb.) ST and it's going to either be a '20 N1K or T900GT. I'm done w/my research and 'test sits' and those are the choices, nothing else. Not interested in any other bikes. 

I say this is likely my last ride because I'm 60 and as I've gotten older, my desire to ride- especially longer distance rides- has diminished somewhat, primarily due to physical issues of discomfort, especially w/my shoulders. There's no long rides planned, intra- or inter- state, but I want a bike that'll keep me in relative comfort for day rides. The T900GT is basically an upright ride, w/wide open hip/knee placements, whereas the N1K, w/a set of Murph's risers installed, may be a touch more sporty but still ultimately doable. 

As a longtime Kawi guy, I'm emotionally drawn to another N1K. It's a far better looking bike than the T900GT (such a fugly bike!) and also about 25 HP more powerful, and weighs only about 30 lbs. more. Throw on a set of Grip Puppies, some Blaze saddlebags, the Murph's, perhaps a bigger windscreen, a modded seat, and blammo, the bike is done. The T900GT likely only needs a computer reflash, a seat, some Grip Puppies and a screen and you're done there too. And my experiences these past 2 years on the FJR have sold me on Yamaha. They make great bikes. 

Reports are the T900GT is 'unpolished' in comparison to the N1K but that vertical, wide open seating position calls and it's likely a better 2-up rider than the N1K so, on those rare occasions when my daughter & I ride, it'd likely be a better bike. 

I've got a couple of used bikes of each model lined up (I almost never buy new) but I am having the issue deciding which one is the right one for me. So if you've got any thoughts to offer, feel free to do so. 

Lee

• Supporting Member

Sounds like you are definitely leaning towards the Kawi and probably a great choice. I currently have both a '16 FJR and a '19 Tracer and the Tracer isn't anymore upright riding or roomier than my FJR. I have an MCL riser and an older Russell on the FJR and I still put on 6-700 mile days on it ALL the time. Not sure I could do the same on the Tracer, even thou I have a Helibar riser and aftermarket seat on it. The weight difference is very noticeable at slow speeds and pushing both around the garage or driveway the 150# difference is VERY apparent.

Just a couple of my observations. And as a point of reference I will be turning 70 in September. I thank the good Lord everyday for my good health!

PM me with any specific questions you may have and happy shopping!

Best regards, Chuck 

• Thumbsup 2

I have had both...a modded 2014 N1K and I now have a 2020 TracerGT.  I absolutely love the tracer for longer distance riding. A Madstad screen and a soon to arrive Sargent seat will be a big part of that.  I like the triple....a lot......its not as fast but it has a lot of character and torque.  For me the Ninja is a close second but not as all day comfy as the Tracer.  It looks better without a doubt, lol.  Strangely enough I find the handling of the Tracer to be more spirited and lively.  Turn in is quick and light unlike the Ninja.  I also like the suspension.  Its enough to have fun on but it also soaks everything up and a long day doesn't wear you out.  You can't go wrong with either one but for an overall sport touring bike, the Tracer GT wins IMO....just don't look at it a lot...cause you know, it's kinda ugly, lol.  :)

• Thumbsup 2

09ny 60 haha you must be joking that its your last bike 🙂  Ill be 67 next birthday and already thinking what comes after my 2020 Tracer GT (my wife tells me I better not think about next bike yet).   Had a 2014 ZX6R 636 used to ride to work most days till I retired almost 4 years ago.  It was pure sport bike and top heavy at slow speeds but quick turn in and a hoot to ride. Traded it for a BMW F800GT so I could do long trips - did that for 2 years but the BMW left me wanting more power and the excitement the ZX6R had at high revs.  Last September it broke 2nd day out on a 5,500 mile trip.  Fixed it and traded for the Tracer GT.

I had seriously considered a Ninja 1K, BMW S1000XR, Tracer GT and the BMW F900XR.  The F900XR was marked off due to similarity to the F800GT - dull motor plus several thousand more than the Tracer GT with similar equipment.  Ninja 1K and S1000XR are more sport bike derived and my concern is them being top heavy and hard to maneuver at low speeds.  On long trips I stay in a lot of KOA which almost always have gravel roads and slow speed limits.  The BMW F800GT was great with fulled loaded sidecases and a large duffle bag on the rear seat it was not too top heavy and relatively easy to ride on the gravel roads.  Tracer GT has been a very pleasant surprise as I expected it to be a bit more top heavy and more difficult to balance at slow speeds but not so.  It is easier than the BMW F800GT was.  The low speed (just off idle) power of the Trace is also very good.   The BMW even though a twin would stall somewhat abruptly.  Those impressions are deeply burned into my mind as I traded bikes in Sioux Falls SD (1,400 miles from home).  I rode 250 mile with the BMW fully loaded traded bikes and after a 1 mile checkout ride on the Tracer GT loaded all my stuff on the Tracer and rode 110 miles to where I was staying!  I was so nervous being on a brand new unfamiliar bike in an unfamiliar town and worried about stalling or dropping it!  LOL realized just as I was leaving town I needed gas so turned around and wandered around until I found a gas station - after checking out the under construction BP near a big box store!  Lots of slow maneuvering along with starts and stops.  The bike did vey well and I soon became comfortable with it's stability.  First negative thing I noticed was the buffeting from the windscreen but had to live with that for the next 2,000 miles.  

Tracer GT is a great long distance touring machine.   I've never had a big bike but it munches the miles and is a fun sporty bike I can blast thru the curves even fully loaded.  I have swapped out the windscreen for a MRA touring, changed the seat to a Bagster with an AirHawk on top, raised the forks 7mm, fiddled with the suspension settings and changed the tires to Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and Road 5 rear.  Last trip out I made the final 560 mile leg with just three stops.  When I was 62 I rode my ZX6R 600 mile in one day, as the day wore on the miles between stops became less and the length of the stops longer!

Before the ZX6R I had a 2012 CBR600RR also a fine sport bike.  The BMW F800GT and the Tracer GT both drop into corners with no drama or effort and are very similar to the ZX6R and CBR600RR in that respect.  Suspension is softer and not as good and brakes don't have the feel but in general the Tracer GT is a very capable sport tourer.  It's not a luxury barge but does have cruise control and heated grips.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

I test rode both bikes prior to buying my FJ09, the ergonomics on the Ninja didn’t agree with my hips and knees at all, I almost turned around in the parking lot and canceled the test ride. 
I really liked everything about the bike except for the ergonomics, it’s a shame too because the Ninja, especially the newest version checks all of the boxes for me.  I would like to ride one that has been modified with different bar risers and taller seat to see if it is possible to make it comfortable. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was able to test-sit both bikes yday, almost back to back. The T900GT was privately owned and the current owner had done some nice, basic comfort mods- RDL seat, FJR rubber mounted foot pegs, a variety of larger screens. He had custom painted the bike black and gray too which removed some of the fugliness Yamaha had incorporated w/their weird color schemes. Really made a huge difference in appearance. Still not a pretty bike but it was better. Here's a pic and yes, it looks much better in person. The current owner is meticulous and it really shows in the bike.

The N1K, on the other hand, was at a dealership & bone stock except for a few minor pieces of anti-crash armor as it was a Kawi demo bike. I was surprised how much more upright the T900GT was in comparison and the RDL seat was a veritable sofa compared to the N1K's stock seat- the first thing that will have to go! My conclusion- I still really like them both altho the N1K is definitely going to require more mods to make her fit me better. The T900GT was much better in the comfort arena- a very important consideration for me. But as I've said before, I've got a life built for one bike and one bike only so I still gotta pick.

I think I'm now officially much closer in selecting. My brain has kinda sorta made its decision, my heart not quite yet. Gotta put the FJR up f/s now. I've been putting that off so my daughter and I could continue to do our little jaunts but those have become fewer and fewer of late and now w/summer officially upon us, I'm sure those rides will become even less.
Lee

T900GT.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

I just got back from a 1500 mile NC/TN/GA moto trip from central Ohio "first longer trip on this bike", and the Tracer simply exceeded my expectations. I rode it HARD on the many amazing roads in these states, and I still averaged 55 miles per gallon. This bike is a hoot in the twisty stuff and the engine is stellar, also just eats the miles out on the slab. I think she is a damn good looking bike, but I reckon that's all in the eyes of the beholder. I find the stock seat decent, but with my Airhawk 2 I could ride and ride in total comfort and felt amazing after a long hard ride. I too looked at the Ninja in question, but I have zero buyers remorse with the GT. :) Stock tires suck but I finally have them worn down enough to replace, can't wait to mount up some Pilots. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, LeeS said:

I've got a couple of used bikes of each model lined up (I almost never buy new) but I am having the issue deciding which one is the right one for me. So if you've got any thoughts to offer, feel free to do so.

I think I would consider myself so lucky that I ride a bike and have the choice of so many suitable machines that are out there. I also would consider looking at the second hand market first (although I prefer the term Pre-Loved). I went for a low mileage two year old Tracer 900 two years ago and have loved every mile. You are doing the right thing by researching and asking opinions but what it all comes down too is that it is your decision to make so it can't be wrong. whatever you decide ride safe and enjoy every mile.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Have you considered the Versys 1000 SE LT+? (Please rethink your naming scheme Kawi). Kawasaki is currently running a $3,000 discount on any 2019 models still on the showroom floor dropping it from $17,999 to $14,999.

Same engine as the N1K but down on top end power for a little bit more midrange torque. But it is more tour focused bike as it comes with actual handlebars instead of clip-ons, luggage, more pillion room, electronic suspension, heated grips, handguards, cornering lights, IMU, the full electronics suite you'd expect these days.

Actually a dealer by me has a demo model with new tires and 1-year Kawi warranty for $13,999... hmm...

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

I (age 78) have a 2017 Versys 1000 and a 2021 9GT, both are hoot to ride good comfortable bikes, but the Yamaha is much lighter, better fuel economy, easy off saddle bags, but hard to use center stand compared to Versys but I find the 9GT a bit more versatile...FYI

• Thumbsup 2

I own both of the bikes you are considering and have put lots of miles on both.  For what it is worth I am 61 years old, in good health and decent shape.  I stand 6 foot one inch tall and weigh 180 pounds with a 34 inch inseam.

2013 Ninja 1000 with 41,000 miles.  2019 Tracer 900 GT with 22,000 miles.  Both bikes purchased new.  Have toured on both and used both for spirited riding.  The Tracer is definitely the better long distance touring companion with the more upright riding position and more leg room.  However when I am going out for just for a day of fun riding with friends and corner carving, I usually take the Kawasaki.  Since you don't plan on touring I will compare them in regards to a day of spirited riding.

Obviously the Tracer is roomier but the Ninja is by no means cramped.  To me the biggest difference is that my knees are more bent on the Kawasaki.  It is a little less upright than the Tracer at the bars, but not enough that it matters for a day of riding.  

The Tracer requires less effort to change directions and feels a bit lighter in transitions, but not by a lot.  At the end of the day I feel a bit more fresh coming off the Tracer as less effort is required and the riding position offers a bit more comfort.  Not a big difference but noticeable.  The Kawasaki however feels more planted in the corners and the front end inspires a bit more confidence to attack the apex, in spite of feeling slightly heavier in transition.  The Ninja just feels more on the sport side of things in this regard.  Stock suspension on both is decent but I have upgraded this on both bikes.  (Best money spent on either).  I would regard the Tracer as being closer to the touring side of the sport touring equation than the Kawasaki

Both have brilliant engines.  The triple is great and has all the power you will ever need.  Love the way it rips all the way to redline and it never feels strained.  However the Ninja has more low and mid range torque and is a real beast.  Either will do the job well but the Ninja clearly has more power.  But again, the Tracer does not disappoint by comparison. 

Brakes are plenty good on both bikes but I give a slight nod to the Kawasaki front brakes as they seem to be a bit better and offer a little more feel and require slightly less force at the lever. 

One little caveat on the Kawasaki.  Mine came with the 190/50 rear tire which made the bike feel a tad sluggish in the corners.  Switching to the 190/55 made a big difference with better turn in and more neutral handling. The newer model has advanced electronics and may be calibrated for a 190/50.  I don't know if changing tire size will affect the traction control calibration so that is something to look into.  Should not be a problem but I don't know for sure.  My bike only has ABS and no IMU.  

I wanted something better in the suspension department on both bikes.  With the Tracer it was the front forks that stood out as needing an upgrade as they lacked the bump absorption I was looking for.  On the Ninja it was the rear shock that did not have good damping control.  Of course, the Ninja stock bits are much better now than they were on my 2013.  For most riders the stock suspension will be fine unless you are a big guy.

The overall quality of both bikes is very good.  But in my humble opinion the Kawasaki feels more refined and well built.  Not that the Yamaha is not, but rather the Kawasaki just feels a bit better put together.  Even with the mileage and hard riding the bike still feels as solid as day one.  The only repair outside of scheduled maintenance between the two is that I just recently needed to rebuild the front brake master cylinder on the Kawasaki, which was just a couple seals and a piston.  Cost me 65 bucks in parts and was a simple fix.  

My opinion......if you are comfortable with the ergonomics of the Kawasaki, and you do not plan on touring, and just want something that is fun to go out for the day, that is the one I would get, but it only wins by a small margin as the sportier ride.  If comfort is paramount the Tracer will put a big grin on your face too.  Believe me, you will be very happy with either.  Both are great bikes!!!

Let us know what you decide.  Either is a winner!!

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I'd take this steed over the Ninja "don't particularly like the latest variant".....love the new Suzuki GSX-s1000GT but just wish it had a centerstand. :( I am not overall a huge fan of the new Tracer 9GT, I'd either get that Zuk or a BMW S1000Xr or BMW R1250RS next in the garage. 

https://suzukicycles.com/street/2022/gsx-s1000gt-plus

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1