What Pants Do You Ride In?

bootsandboots

15 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Aerostich AD1 pants, wear them in all temps and conditions......fabulous britches.

I’m VERY tempted by Aerostich pants. The price is up there but they’re a name I’ve heard thrown around since I began riding.

10 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

To the OP - if you're looking for 1 pair, look for mesh or well vented pants from name brands with CE armor and an insulated and a water proof zip in liners. Those offer the most versatility. Don't worry about saving $100 since a good pair of pants can last 10+ years. 

If you're willing to trade weather versatility for convenience, look at single layer waterproof pants. You'll trade venting for better waterproofing and no need to pull over to zip in liners. Gore tex is the industry standard and IIRC Fort9 said that Dainese and Goretex were the most waterproof layers. These will run maybe $500 and up. 

If you need convenience getting in and out of pants - like commuting - nobody does that better than Aerostich. I'm critical of 'stich because they should innovate more but they do commuter pants better than anyone else I've tried. I did discover that the hip armor for the Transit suit is MUCH more comfortable than the old foam pads they still sell for the AD1s. So my main pants are AD1s with Transit hip pads. 

Thank you for the detailed response. Did you order the AD1s as is and add the Transit pads later, or can you order the AD1 pants with the Transit pads?

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, bootsandboots said:

Thank you for the detailed response. Did you order the AD1s as is and add the Transit pads later, or can you order the AD1 pants with the Transit pads?

AD1s don't come with hip armor. I originally reused foam pads out of my RC but upgraded this year to the Transit armor holders from Aerostich and the same armor bought through Revzilla. 

1110_1c.jpg

Sleeves with integrated hook & loop to allow TF5 Hip Impact...

Look at ebay and the BMW Owners' List and ADV Rider for used Aerostich gear. You can get some good discounts for gear that will still last 10 years or more. 

One example (not recommending, just an example):

adv_og_logo.png

Ad1 pants, in really good shape. Size 42 r. Inseam is 34. Comes...

2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

AD1s don't come with hip armor. I originally reused foam pads out of my RC but upgraded this year to the Transit armor holders from Aerostich and the same armor bought through Revzilla. 

1110_1c.jpg

Sleeves with integrated hook & loop to allow TF5 Hip Impact...

Look at ebay and the BMW Owners' List and ADV Rider for used Aerostich gear. You can get some good discounts for gear that will still last 10 years or more. 

One example (not recommending, just an example):

adv_og_logo.png

Ad1 pants, in really good shape. Size 42 r. Inseam is 34. Comes...

Now I have another forum to get lost in… thanks for the recommendations, I know at some point most roads lead to Aerostich.

I've had the motoport Ultra Il mesh kevlar pants with the Gortex liners since 2003. They are stiff at first but do soften up with use. They are easy to get in and out of. i mainly wear them with shorts but can easily wear over jeans. I only use the liner if the day starts out raining, they can be time consuming putting them on on the side of the road  (I tend to wait too long to pull off), I use an overpant for those times.  I have had one  time when the bike didn't want to stay under me and unless it is pointed out the minor scuffing is not very noticeable. They are NOT inexpensive but I have only had the leg zippers replaced in 18 years, the stretch waist band will be done at the end of this season. I would buy these again if I had to replace them.

I ride in Olympia XMoto pants.  Since I bought them, I've quit wearing "summer" mesh pants and "winter" pants.  I use these all year long.

What makes the XMoto pants unique is:

• They are a true "overpant".  Try finding an overpant nowadays.  Most pants are made to be worn with just your underwear underneath.  With an overpant, you can take them off in the parking lot or at work and walk away from the bike.
  • The area over the thigh, unzips and tucks into the front of the lower leg.  It gives you a "mesh" pant for the summer, and a full pant for the winter.
  • The wind/waterproof liner is removable.  Why is that important?  Because as the temperatures go up in dry weather, you can remove the liner and get better air flow before opening the thigh panels for even more air.  In the winter, zip up those thigh panels and slip the wind/rain liner on under the outer pants...and I've ridden down into some very cold weather just fine.  Plus, your boots won't snag on the liner when you're putting the pants on...and that saves the stitching.  Pants that have the liner built in, will eventually leak in the crotch because of this.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find the XMoto pants anymore.  HWK makes some similar to this...and far less expensive.  But they don't have the full length leg zipper to be a true overpant.  

Chris

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Nishapatel said:

Riding is my passion. I personally use Ducati because of its excellence. I'd love to ride with my rough grunge pant because I feel very comfortable in that. Some other options would be Levi's Commuter 511 OR Rapha Jeans. Both are favorite.

Yeah I think levi's commuter is a right choice. Comfortable as well as stylish.👍

Kevlar lined riding jeans. I think they’re Speed & Strength, or something like that, slim fit. They’re hot as shit in the summer. Been thinking of trying to find some mesh pants that breathe better. 

Trying to find riding pants is a giant PITA. Regular fit are almost always way too baggy, and most slim fit are too tight. I should see if I can find a place to send a pair of my Brave Star jeans for some Kevlar patches in the proper place. 

I've got Olympia riding pants and Scorpian kevlar-lined jeans, but my favorite is a pair of Duluth Trading canvas work pants because the crotch has a gusset for, as they say, "extra freedom of movement".  Keeps my boys happy!  I've traded the pads and kevlar for a well-placed gusset.  https://tinyl.io/4V6W

Edited by R.C.

Olympia riding overpants.  They're kevlar mesh, have proper knee armour and foam hip pads (better than nothing I guess).  Waterproof liner can be worn under or over, and they're overpants which is really, really helpful.  In the winter, it provides another barrier:air:barrier separation which keeps you warm, in the summer you can just ride with the mesh pants and be very cool (not noticeably hotter with these plus jeans vs just riding in jeans), but it also allows riding in a pair of shorts with these over top.  Get somewhere, pull off the overpants and you're now in shorts.  Why nicer on hot summer days.

That said, I generally only wear them if I want to go shorts, or on longer rides.  Regular daily riding is just my normal Kirkland jeans :)

I wear the Alpinestars Valparaiso 2 for any ride!

It has a waterproof layer and a cold weather layer which can be removed.

The waterproof might be needed for the cold weather...

But, not wearing any of those layers... Cali weather 😛

Interestingly, while my Olympia overpants don't have a thermal layer, I've definitely found that wearing them with the waterproof liner over regular jeans absolutely keeps my legs comfortably warm.  I'm all about my heated gear, but have never felt the need to get heated pant liners - just having the waterproof layer outside blocking wind, the riding pants inside, then my jeans keeps my legs good, even down to -25C.

I pretty much stopped riding with two pieces and have exclusively gone to my Olympia one piece suits. 

The overpants I do have in the closet are Cortech/Tourmaster and Fieldsheer. Oh, I also have a pair of Olympia overpants somewhere. And another one that I forgot the brand.  The spare bedroom closet is packed with gear I don't use.  I just find the one piece gear not only to be more comfortable than two pieces, but way more convenient to put on/take off. And like the cool kids say, I have no f***s left to give, I don't care if I look like a power ranger wandering the aisles at the store. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current