What Pants Do You Ride In?

bootsandboots

Looking for suggestions for what pants everyone is wearing for riding. I have a pair of riding jeans from Alpinestars but I’m honestly not a fan. Looking into great pants for summer but also interested in protection for the colder weather.

So long story short, what pants are you wearing while riding?

• Supporting Member

Klim (denim).  They're the only ones (that I could find) with tailbone protection.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, bootsandboots said:

Looking for suggestions for what pants everyone is wearing for riding. I have a pair of riding jeans from Alpinestars but I’m honestly not a fan. Looking into great pants for summer but also interested in protection for the colder weather.

So long story short, what pants are you wearing while riding?

I have tried riding jeans and HATE them, just not comfortable in any way for me.

I have 2 sets of Tourmaster textile riding jacket and pants, one waterproof set for winter and one vented set for warmer weather.  Both have zip in/out thermal liners and the vented gear has a removable rain liner as well. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Revit Philly 2 jeans are super comfortable; they're "American" cut with a roomy thigh through the leg without being baggy at all; I wore these for 3 years, the armor in the knees is super flexible and comfortable. They also don't look any different than normal jeans which is a huge plus.

If you're on the leaner side the Revit Lombard 2 jeans are the same thing just with tapered thigh and legs, I've lost some weight and now wear these instead of my Philly 2.

Cheers,

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I have tried riding jeans and HATE them, just not comfortable in any way for me.

I was the same @betoney. The first generation jeans seemed to have kevlar patches inside, on the butt and knees, which made them uncomfortable. Last summer I bought the next generation versions which now have aramid/kevlar weaved into the denim itself and the fit and comfort are way better. Maybe worth a try again? 

I still only wear them for city or local trips, preferring textile pants for longer/faster rides.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I may be among the minority here but I always wear leathers that will pass track day inspection.  I have a one piece as well as a two piece.  RS Taichi makes some really well perforated leather jackets and pants that flow a lot of air but still provide excellent protection.  

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Levi's 501s that I sent off to Ruste Protection for kevlar and armor pocket install.  All the motorcycle jeans I see look like either 90's stonewashed baggy Costco dad jeans or uncomfortable super low rise skinny hipster pants.

Edited by Clem Fandango

Still rocking a pair of First Gear "waterproof" pants that have armor in the usual spots. They've served me really well, though in a deluge they will leak at the butt. When I upgrade I will probably go Aerostitch to match my new and amazing Darien jacket. 

• Premium Member

To the OP - if you're looking for 1 pair, look for mesh or well vented pants from name brands with CE armor and an insulated and a water proof zip in liners. Those offer the most versatility. Don't worry about saving $100 since a good pair of pants can last 10+ years. 

If you're willing to trade weather versatility for convenience, look at single layer waterproof pants. You'll trade venting for better waterproofing and no need to pull over to zip in liners. Gore tex is the industry standard and IIRC Fort9 said that Dainese and Goretex were the most waterproof layers. These will run maybe $500 and up. 

If you need convenience getting in and out of pants - like commuting - nobody does that better than Aerostich. I'm critical of 'stich because they should innovate more but they do commuter pants better than anyone else I've tried. I did discover that the hip armor for the Transit suit is MUCH more comfortable than the old foam pads they still sell for the AD1s. So my main pants are AD1s with Transit hip pads. 

Speaking of Fortnine, picked up a set of Oxford Mondial pants from them when they were on sale earlier this spring. They've got venting in the thighs and so far they're comfortable AND come with attached suspended for all-day riding comfort. Supposedly waterproof but we shall see. They are replacing a one-piece TEIZ suit that has finally reached the end of its' useful life and Ghazi is no longer operating the business (too bad, he had good stuff). Only issue so far is they're a little snug (damn COVID weight). 

On 6/9/2021 at 11:04 PM, knyte said:

Klim (denim).  They're the only ones (that I could find) with tailbone protection.

I haven’t heard a bad thing about Klim yet. Not sure how inclined I am to get jeans again but I’ll look into them.