Buy a Skidplate!

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Good observation. Thx! While the base price is reasonable shipping adds quite alot. 

The term reasonable is relative LOL

I lucked out and bought the SW-Mototech a few years ago for under $100 shipped from TT on sale. 😙😜

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I apologize for bringing up an old thread and to beat a dead horse, but I am a new owner of a 2019 Tracer gt and am just starting into this rabbit hole.

Is there other years FJ, MT, or Tracer skid plate/sump guards to fit the 2019? I know that are alot of crossover year and models in this CP3 family.

I like the look of the SRC style it looks like they don't carry them any more. I also like the Givi style but $460 in Canada is a little crazy. T-Rex looks cool but for my "streetbike" is a little overkill.

Is there other places/shops online to look for a quality guard without breaking the bank?

Thanks for all the knowledge and info so far guys!

3 hours ago, motopete said:

I apologize for bringing up an old thread and to beat a dead horse, but I am a new owner of a 2019 Tracer gt and am just starting into this rabbit hole.

Is there other years FJ, MT, or Tracer skid plate/sump guards to fit the 2019? I know that are alot of crossover year and models in this CP3 family.

I like the look of the SRC style it looks like they don't carry them any more. I also like the Givi style but $460 in Canada is a little crazy. T-Rex looks cool but for my "streetbike" is a little overkill.

Is there other places/shops online to look for a quality guard without breaking the bank?

Thanks for all the knowledge and info so far guys!

If its just a street bike, why look for a skid plate?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, OZVFR said:

If its just a street bike, why look for a skid plate?

Cuz empirical data shows our sumps are fragile and susceptible to catastrophic damage and a skid plate also keeps crap off the engine , oil cooler and headers 

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Cuz empirical data shows our sumps are fragile and susceptible to catastrophic damage and a skid plate also keeps crap off the engine , oil cooler and headers 

Just you FJ owners, the Tracer doesn't suffer from the same issue. If someone is dragging/hitting their sump or a skidplate or any hard parts, then they need to seriously upgrade their suspension and or check their settings. I actually took my VStrom off pavement quite often so a skidplate made sense, but on what is likely a 95% owner dedicated pavement machine? Of course there is always the possibility of a very rare incidence of sump/plug/filter damage......but IMHO the lemon isn't worth the squeeze. My 2 cents, and exactly what it's worth. :)

Radiator guard makes sense, hell I've put one on every single liquid cooled motorcycle I have owned. The lower cowl I have seen some have looks nice and will keep the mentioned clean, but true sportbikes don't have a skidplate, and these bikes are not far off from a true sportbike. Japanese suspensions are overall set up for 140/170 pound riders, if anyone is maxing out their suspension settings for proper sag and normal riding, then it is time for proper front springs and a rear shock. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Ride

I vehemently disagree with you stating that the FJ or later versions are sportbikes. Maybe you haven't ridden a lot of sportbikes. But believe me my FJ is a perverbial couch compared to what I would consider even a sporty sport touring bike, like the Kawasaki ninja 1000, new Suzi GSX1000GT or my highly Modified 98 VTR1000F.

My reasons for a skid plate are as I posted a while ago on this thread pasting below

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/10098-buy-a-skidplate/?do=findComment&comment=143749

53 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Ride

I vehemently disagree with you stating that the FJ or later versions are sportbikes. Maybe you haven't ridden a lot of sportbikes. But believe me my FJ is a perverbial couch compared to what I would consider even a sporty sport touring bike, like the Kawasaki ninja 1000, new Suzi GSX1000GT or my highly Modified 98 VTR1000F.

My reasons for a skid plate are as I posted a while ago on this thread pasting below

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/10098-buy-a-skidplate/?do=findComment&comment=143749

I said they "are not far off" didn't say they were sportbikes. ;) And yeah I have ridden more than a few sportbikes, one of which was pushing 200 hp. I worry about things while riding like people trying to kill me out on the roads and critters that run in front of me, so were I a betting man.......much more chance/risk of that, over the unlikely and unlucky chance of farking up an oil pan. To each their own and do as you will, but considering just how many of these bikes there are in the world, I'd wager to say that the instances of failure/damage is minuscule.

• Thumbsup 3