Buy a Skidplate!

• Supporting Member

As the title says I'd highly recommend a skid plate for all you new owners of Tracer 900s this season, learn from my mistakes:

My first ever "accident" on this bike - roughly three years ago - was taking a rock on I-75 southbound flung at me from the vehicle in front and while it missed the bike, it hit my left foot:

BootHole.thumb.JPG.e19e4adb9be1d52f2f96c30715da90f0.JPG

Luckily wearing steel-toe boots meant I only lost the toenail which grew back later. I didn't think anything of it... which leads to today:

On my way home today I was going down I-75 southbound yet again (in heavy rain) and an accident occurred in front of me moments prior where a northbound car hit the concrete median and threw pieces into the southbound side. Unfortunately this took place coming out of a curve (ongoing construction, a lane pattern shift) and I tried to swerve but wasn't able to avoid all the debris and hit one chunk of concrete with the left side of my front wheel which resulted in this:

OilPan2.thumb.jpg.1cdd516b65c5208c908e12d685717337.jpgOilPan1.thumb.jpg.c3e8e30a91417e861c1f0d50a69b506a.jpg

It's been mentioned many times in this forum about the oil pan being dangerously low and exposed on these bikes, but I never paid any heed due to not riding off-road. Now really wish I had bought one.

Stay safe.

J

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 11

• Supporting Member

Ouch! On both incidents!

All this talk and photos of smashed sumps is getting me nervous.  Hate for that to happen while out in the digglies with no help at hand.

Sadly, for you, it looks like it's more than just the sump that's toast in your photos though!?  Insured? Repairable?

Glad you managed to stay onboard on both occassions. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah, could have been much worse. Glad you are Ok. I put a sump guard on mine first thing. Feels naked without it. Also a radiator guard. I do a lot of riding and longer distance travel and it only takes one errant rock to really screw you over. I don't know that the parts on our Tracer's are any more exposed than on other bikes. Take a look at those you walk by and they all have this trouble. The side facing cylinders on a classic BMW are just hanging out there to be smack by some rock, but people travel the world in them mainly to see them fail for other reasons more related to poor design or construction. 

Good to remember F=MA. A grain of sand in space can punch a whole right through a space ship. 

• Supporting Member

I greatly appreciate everyone's kind words, I notified my boss of my loss of transport and he didn't even ask if I was ok. Just asked "will you be in tomorrow?". Means a lot after the past stressful year.

22 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Ouch! On both incidents!

All this talk and photos of smashed sumps is getting me nervous.  Hate for that to happen while out in the digglies with no help at hand.

Sadly, for you, it looks like it's more than just the sump that's toast in your photos though!?  Insured? Repairable?

Glad you managed to stay onboard on both occassions. 👍

Unfortunately it does look like it's more than just the sump that's done for  😢. My local dealer employs the winner of Yamaha's 2013 U.S. Technician Grand Prix, but even so I don't think he's a magician. Adjuster will probably get a look at it tomorrow or Friday and I'll know by this weekend if I'm getting a check or otherwise.

I already have an appointment to check out a demo model BMW R 1250 R Friday morning, maybe I'll take a look at a Tracer 9 GT... if a dealer by me could get one 😁.

At this point I'm already thinking of what I can salvage from the FJ09, definitely going to pull the Ohlins rear shock off to sell.

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member

@jthayer09 - First and foremost, I’m glad you’re ok!   That’s a scary impact, and I can see where that could have turned out much worse for you.   

Zooming in on those pictures, it sure looks like the engine case itself has a chunk missing…. That doesn’t bode well for being an easy repair.   Best of luck, and keep us posted on the repair prognosis.  

-Scott 

Scary stuff, in both incidents. Your first one should give anyone who rides in unsuitable footwear a wake up call. I cringe when I see riders in trainers and no gloves. Having that sensitive skin rubbed off at high speed would be life changing.

I have a skid pan on mine, mainly to protect the bike against my stupidity, but I’m glad it’s on there against road debris too.

Well done on keeping yourself safe. Oil on your rear tyre could have been very nasty. I hope it’s a straight forward replacement of headers and oil pan.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Ouch, that hurts. Glad you're OK. Nice caring boss.

As said, it did snap off a section of the engine case. It might be totalled sorry to say.

I don't think any skid plate would have saved it.

• Supporting Member

With the new header on the Tracer 9, the lower front of the motor below the oil filter looks even more vulnerable to damage from a rock or debris.

2021-yamaha-tracer-9-gt---engine-closeup.jpg

yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021-3.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Glad you're safe! Things can be replaced; people...not so much.

Bigger picture thoughts: perhaps moto isn't the safest form of commuting to work in interstates especially. I avoid interstates as much as possible, opting for secondary highways and two-lane roads. That's where the joy of moto comes in.

Good luck with getting compensation and/or repairs/replacement moto.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Ugh, that sucks.  Glad to hear the human in this story isn't a write off!  Sure hope it can be repaired or you can find a Tracer GT.

Well that clinches it - I'm getting a skid plate.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Glad you are safe first and foremost, but exactly why I do not commute on my bike in Columbus and WHY I avoid the slab practically anywhere I travel much as possible. These bikes don't need a skidplate, 90% of bikes have no underbelly or header protection, skid plates are overwhelmingly for those and bikes who venture off pavement. I am going to install a radiator guard soon and perhaps a front fender extender, but I want my Tracer as light possible with fewest amount of bolt on accessories as possible. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Echoing everyone else, I'm glad you're safe!

On the sump guard... in addition to providing protection, I found that it also simplifies front tire changes. Previously I was placing some blocks of wood under the headers to support the front end, but it never felt very stable. So I also run a tie-down strap around the handlebar and an overhead beam in my garage. But the SW Motech guard I recently installed provides a nice flat surface to rest on wood blocks, and the bike felt much more stable this way. I still used the strap around the beam and handlebars just for extra safety. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Welp this latest anecdote finally kicked me in the butt.  SW Motech pan ordered.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount