Buy a Skidplate!

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

...but I want my Tracer as light possible with fewest amount of bolt on accessories as possible. 

The SW Motech guard is aluminium. The weight:protection ratio is really worth it. I can understand a reluctance to pile on the pounds with permanently attached big topboxes, panniers etc but as with your radiator protector, some small additions are useful. Low down weight doesn’t affect as much either.

If you get weight obsessed you’ll end up on a diet, with a crewcut and always taking a sh1t before riding. 

• Haha 3

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I want my Tracer as light possible with fewest amount of bolt on accessories as possible

I feel the same way, and this is the only reason for holding out for so long.

However, this is now what - the second instance in less than a year?  Psh, aluminum is light.  My bike is worth FAR more than the few clams it'll cost to add a plate - especially when hundreds of miles from home.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

3 hours ago, knyte said:

Welp this latest anecdote finally kicked me in the butt.  SW Motech pan ordered.

just ordered the SW Motech for my red 2015 as well. figured since I did crash bars may as well have something protecting the bottom as well.

• Thumbsup 3

First things first - good that the O.P. is o.k.

I might be spouting rubbish here but I wonder if, in this instance,  a sump guard may have made things worse? The damage may have acted like a crumple zone on a car, dissipating the energy. If the debris had been met by the harder surface of a bash plate it may have lifted or skewed the bike, with a worse outcome for the rider? Apologies,  there are a lot of "maybes" and " possiblies" in this post. I think overall a bash plate is a good thing,  especially for a bike with a vulnerable sump plug.

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, JonnyB said:

I might be spouting rubbish here but I wonder if, in this instance,  a sump guard may have made things worse

Looks like the engine case is torn open and the bike will be totaled. It's a big enough hit that a skid plate might not have mattered but it can't be worse than a hole in the engine. 

17 hours ago, knyte said:

I feel the same way, and this is the only reason for holding out for so long.

However, this is now what - the second instance in less than a year?  Psh, aluminum is light.  My bike is worth FAR more than the few clams it'll cost to add a plate - especially when hundreds of miles from home.

I don't like how they look on this bike either, it's not a big adventure bike like a V-Strom or GS. I'm not obsessive at all about added weight on a bike, just like the more svelte minimal look on my GT. :) 

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks for responding, 1 more road.  I was trying to make a comparison between 2 outcomes;

1. The energy from the impact is spent destroying the pipes and crankcase etc but the bike stays upright and the rider stays onboard.

2. The rubble gets under a skid plate which doesn't deform, so the energy is spent tipping the bike over, throwing off the rider.

With apologies to the O.P. for using his ordeal as a point for discussion. 

Edited by JonnyB
To respond to the correct person.
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

In my head, it breaks down like so:

If you can barely afford a tank of fuel, get the eBay knock off, but don't expect much.

Best fitment and value for the dollar seems to be SW Motech, also seems to be the lightest and most minimal, yet strong.

Givi is a close second, and comes in black, so is probably the most attractive.

TRex if you want to survive an IED and $ is no object.

Higdonian for ultimate style and wow factor.

Others may disagree, but that's just how I interpreted them.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, knyte said:

In my head, it breaks down like so:

If you can barely afford a tank of fuel, get the eBay knock off, but don't expect much.

Best fitment and value for the dollar seems to be SW Motech, also seems to be the lightest and most minimal, yet strong.

Givi is a close second, and comes in black, so is probably the most attractive.

TRex if you want to survive an IED and $ is no object.

Higdonian for ultimate style and wow factor.

Others may disagree, but that's just how I interpreted them.

And don't forget the SRC skid plate.  It looks to have good protection on the front, bottom and sides as well.

35146434_2072809486268381_40523807313037

Protect your  FJ's vulnerable underside including the exhaust, oil cooler...

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

SRC skid plate

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting someone!!

Also a great choice to consider.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, bootsandboots said:

The SRC plate does look pretty nice. I have a red FJ09 though so I think a black guard would look best, the silver seems to clash with the look.

SRC Moto must think like you as they offer it in natural finish (silver) and black.  😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

SW Motech makes 2 skid plates, a flat plate with a curl on the front and a 2 piece plate that sort of looks like a belly pan. I liked the looks of the belly pan so I ordered that. 

copy_of_mss_06_471_10000_b_2_xl_grande.j

Or

mss.06.599.10000.s_headon.web2.jpg

2 hours ago, bootsandboots said:

The SRC plate does look pretty nice. I have a red FJ09 though so I think a black guard would look best, the silver seems to clash with the look.

Rattle can? Plastic dip? Wouldn't recommend vinyl wrap on a skid plate. :)

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

And don't forget the SRC skid plate.  It looks to have good protection on the front, bottom and sides as well.

35146434_2072809486268381_40523807313037

Protect your  FJ's vulnerable underside including the exhaust, oil cooler...

I checked out the mounting instructions for the SRC and it looks like it should bolt straight onto the new Tracer 9 GT, looking at pictures of the 9 GT it has the same bolt placement for the sump as the previous CP3 engine, except for the right sidecase housing... looks like that might be slightly off from the previous engine.

2 dealers near me now each have 1 in stock, strongly thinking about pulling the trigger on one and ordering the SRC plate.

• Like 1